Taigen Panzer 4 Turret.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
jarndice
Colonel

Taigen Panzer 4 Turret.

Post by jarndice »

I ordered an updated Airsoft PZ4 Turret from http://www.forgebeartanks.com today ,
Unfortunately it was the last one in stock as I really wanted two,
I am interested in seeing how easy or difficult removing the Stowage box lid will be and replacing it with a working hinged lid but anyway the external detail of the Turret is a marked improvement over the Earlier Taigen PZ4 and Heng Long PZ4 and of course waiting for Dave to stock them made a welcome saving to my pocket book in comparison to Dom at http://www.rctank.de/ :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Taigen Panzer 4 Turret.

Post by c.rainford73 »

Since I've fitted one on Rad's panzer IV it really is an impressive piece. Really nice fit and finish.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Morning, Shaun!
Even in the revised turret, I think the gun elevation motor is fixed to the lid of the stowage box. Thus, any changes to the lid's position (or style of mounting) will have a direct impact on the elevation unit. :think:
That's your challenge- if you accept it. :D This surgery has been performed once before here (I forget the thread just now); but that was on the previous hunchback iteration.
Rigging up some elevation unit fixings/mountings to the insides of the stowage box should work, leaving the lid free to be hinged. :think:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just twigged that the latest Pz IV turret is metal only. :problem: That being the case, you'll need a very fine hacksaw, Shaun. I'm sure you have one.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Surely if the elevation unit is in the way, what benefit would one get by having the lid able to open :think:
I'm sure one could make it look like it opens with some clever trickery ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I put my proposed alteration to the Turret stowage box on the Forum to discover how practical it might be,
Thanks to Roys input I am now aware of the shortcomings of my plan so while I will continue to separate "Carefully" the lid from the box and fit working hinges I shall desist in disturbing the elevation motor,
I have a number of different saws including a very "Fine" Jewellers saw the blade of which cuts hardened steel,
Its the tendons in the back of my hand that give up before the saw blade :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Surely if the elevation unit is in the way, what benefit would one get by having the lid able to open :think:
I carry things there! Spare fuses for the board, spare track links, spare pins, small bottle with smoke oil, small grease tube, diverse small pieces, flags... I am even thinking about installing a charging plug there!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Surely if the elevation unit is in the way, what benefit would one get by having the lid able to open :think:
I carry things there! Spare fuses for the board, spare track links, spare pins, small bottle with smoke oil, small grease tube, diverse small pieces, flags... I am even thinking about installing a charging plug there!
And that all fits with the elevation unit, wow.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Nope, in the tamiya PIV the elevation unit goes inside the turret, leaving the basket empty.

Anyway Id replace the elevation unit in the taigen-henglong with a servo, and then the basket will be empty too.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Nope, in the tamiya PIV the elevation unit goes inside the turret, leaving the basket empty.

Anyway Id replace the elevation unit in the taigen-henglong with a servo, and then the basket will be empty too.
:D As useful as the Tamiya Storage box is, Rad (..maybe even for 1/16 scale sandwiches, for a picnic shootout day- :) )...Shaun just happens to have the Taigen version :problem:
Funnily enough, I keep the tow cables for the Cromwell in one of its storage units.. :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”