Lert builds a Nashorn

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Lert
Sergeant

Lert builds a Nashorn

Post by Lert »

So last night I thought to myself, I'll just put a few parts together on my Ludwig's Nashorn. You know, to see how the kit fits, how the glue reacts, to make a small start. You know what I mean, right?

I might've gone overboard a little ...

I left the rear interior floor plate loose and will magnetize it. Same as the upper glacis plate with the driver's cottage:

Ok, first impressions from a first-time Ludwig costumer:

Good:
- The fit is generally good and without problems
- The hull is a lot sturdier than I had thought it would be, it's IMO stronger than a plastic HL lower and feels heftier too
- The design for where the running gear fits is very well thought out and strong, and my concerns about how my salvaged HL running gear would fit were unneeded
- He included a mounting plate for standard gearboxes, as shown in the second pic

Bad:
- The manual is mediocre at best, lacking detail and missing a few steps; blank spaces where pictures should be. This means that some of the assembly is guess work
- Some parts don't fit that great, or are easily fitted the wrong way around
- The kit is lacking many details, like hatches, viewports, details, etc. I knew this going in, still figured I'd mention it

On the whole though, quite pleased and happy with my purchase and progress. I will keep a build log for this build, though don't expect very frequent updates or a quick end result; this project is likely to last at least a year, if not more, before finish.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Lert builds a Nashorn

Post by AlwynTurner »

Great start Lert, I bet you were late getting to bed 8O :haha: :clap: :clap:

Let me know if there are bits you need. :thumbup: (btw I am going to Spain in 2 weeks for 3 months so it has to be before then or late July)

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

AlwynTurner wrote:Great start Lert, I bet you were late getting to bed 8O :haha: :clap: :clap:
Oh you know how it goes. It's 8 in the evening, you work on your model tank for about an hour, and then it's 6 in the morning ...
AlwynTurner wrote:Let me know if there are bits you need. :thumbup: (btw I am going to Spain in 2 weeks for 3 months so it has to be before then or late July)
Thanks mate. Due to circumstances and things this is going to be a slow, very slow build. It's likely going to be late this year or even next year before I'm ready to order more stuff for this thing.
JagdPanther / Leopard 2A6 / StuG Ausf. G / KV-2 / M4A3A4 / MTLB / 2.5 ton truck 6x6
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

If you want a better looking gun for your model, an alternative is to create a Hummel using the finely detailed 1/16 Merit 15cm sFH18 howitzer.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

lmcq11 wrote:If you want a better looking gun for your model, an alternative is to create a Hummel using the finely detailed 1/16 Merit 15cm sFH18 howitzer.
I've been thinking about that, and might some day get a second Nashorn kit to make into a Hummel. The upper glacis and driver cottage are different and the gun ofcourse, but I think the rest is mostly the same? Well, aside from interior details like ammo racks, gun mount, etc?
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Lert wrote:I've been thinking about that, and might some day get a second Nashorn kit to make into a Hummel. The upper glacis and driver cottage are different and the gun ofcourse, but I think the rest is mostly the same? Well, aside from interior details like ammo racks, gun mount, etc?
Hi, actually, the structure of early Hummel is the same as the Nashorn, as seen here with the Hummel at Munster.
Munster Hummel
Munster Hummel
Capture1.JPG (84.5 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Compared to the required efforts to make the Ludwigs 88mm accurate, the Merit Sfh18 Howitzer and mount are excellent and would fit strait in, with just the shields to adapt. As for the interior, well, the required work is the same level of effort.
Ludwigs 88mm
Ludwigs 88mm
Capture4.JPG (89.93 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Merit Sfh18 15cm
Merit Sfh18 15cm
Capture2.JPG (50.17 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Merit Sfh18 15cm
Merit Sfh18 15cm
Capture3.JPG (24.09 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

lmcq11 wrote:Hi, actually, the structure of early Hummel is the same as the Nashorn, as seen here with the Hummel at Munster.
Huh .. Interesting. I've actually visited that museum but that was a few years ago, and I thought all Hummels had the wider two-man driver's cottage. Still, I paid good money for this 88, I'm gonna build a Nashorn with this kit. But, maybe some day a Hummel. I've always liked that vehicle, ever since early Beta days in World of Tanks, where it had Pz IV mobility and you could run around blapping people in the face with 150mm HE.

Good times.
Lert
Sergeant

Post by Lert »

Progress!

The hull is mostly complete, just need to either scratchbuild or source detail parts. Making slow progress on the gun carriage parts as well as you can see. Sanded the hull at work using the finest grit in a sandblasting cabinet (hence the darker areas, that should just clean off before priming and painting), done work on filling in the seams, tore apart my old already-on-life-support Pz IV to donate the running gear components and fitted those, along with the tow brackets - had to modify the final drive housings to remove excess flaring, though. Scratchbuilt some exhausts which should be like 95% accurate to the historical vehicle ... The process continues.

Return to “Other Builds”