1945 WWII Soviet IS-2 ( TAIGEN\TORRO )

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1945 WWII Soviet IS-2 ( TAIGEN\TORRO )

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning! A few more hours worth of progress on this tank. I ran into an issue which has slowed me down. The new speaker box is preventing a standard NiMh battery from fitting in the lower without interfering with the hanging Smoker. The original Taigen speaker is small enough that it slides under the brace bar for the hull latch and allows enough space for a battery. Maxx is getting one of these Taigen Babes in tomorrow so we should be able to get a working size speaker box designed and printed. The stock speaker is not bad but the visaton type is noticeably better. Metal track links for lower hull mounted spares are on the way as well. Pics ( click to enlarge )
Attachments
Painted and weathered and rusted and back on the tank...
Painted and weathered and rusted and back on the tank...
Next thing to play with was the provided tow cables...these are nice and weighty and come preassembled
Next thing to play with was the provided tow cables...these are nice and weighty and come preassembled
Rubber inserts were added to give the screws something to bite into ...beats sealing a metal hull with cast insert rings
Rubber inserts were added to give the screws something to bite into ...beats sealing a metal hull with cast insert rings
The next issue is to try to get a standard NiMh battery to fit with a larger speaker box
The next issue is to try to get a standard NiMh battery to fit with a larger speaker box
The answer is to use working track links like this earlier Pershing setup.
The answer is to use working track links like this earlier Pershing setup.
A view of the lower with plastic spares removed...maybe a Tamiya type mount is needed...
A view of the lower with plastic spares removed...maybe a Tamiya type mount is needed...
Works on the most stubborn adhesives...
Works on the most stubborn adhesives...
A little of this goes a long way...removes everything it touches from reality so be neat in usage.
A little of this goes a long way...removes everything it touches from reality so be neat in usage.
Plastic of the provided spare tracks is too soft to easily drill
Plastic of the provided spare tracks is too soft to easily drill
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Here are a few evenings worth of compiled work. The pics mainly concern lower hull 'fun' regarding replacing the plastic tracks with a more realistic metal link and pin set and installing the _tiny_ lenses for the marker lights on the deck. ( also a couple of shots showing lens placement in the periscopes are included ) Pics: ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Lens placement underway...extremely fiddly...
Lens placement underway...extremely fiddly...
Super small lenses and a new large detail brush from the best location so far for lens assortments.
Super small lenses and a new large detail brush from the best location so far for lens assortments.
Another welcome delivery from England
Another welcome delivery from England
A few goodies from the local Hobby Lobby
A few goodies from the local Hobby Lobby
WIP on the paint match
WIP on the paint match
DS tape removed
DS tape removed
Filled and sealed from the back with LocTite 24 hr Epoxy
Filled and sealed from the back with LocTite 24 hr Epoxy
Some removable double stick tape to seal the openings left by the removal of the plastic spare track mounts.track mounts.
Some removable double stick tape to seal the openings left by the removal of the plastic spare track mounts.track mounts.
These tracks along with the ones supplied by Taigen with the tank are enough.
These tracks along with the ones supplied by Taigen with the tank are enough.
Some eagerly awaited spares from Forgebear
Some eagerly awaited spares from Forgebear
...Here for the Dawn...
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Informative, immersive, and entertaining as usual, Painless! Like you, I'm inclined to list my sources for info, and parts, as I go along. You, however, go the extra mile though, with postmarks of the foreign lands these bits of treasure emanate from. It's almost like stamp collecting, again. :D :thumbup: Totally charming, and quite unique in thread terms :thumbup:
Roy.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

...Cont. ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Mounts textured and painted
Mounts textured and painted
Another comparison shot and ready for paint
Another comparison shot and ready for paint
Holes drilled and (tiny) brass bolts screwed into the (small) wooden blocks
Holes drilled and (tiny) brass bolts screwed into the (small) wooden blocks
Mounting plates cut from styrene strip
Mounting plates cut from styrene strip
A quick comparison shot.
A quick comparison shot.
Starting to look like something...
Starting to look like something...
Many small wooden blocks required
Many small wooden blocks required
Sussing out how to make new mounts for the metal track links.
Sussing out how to make new mounts for the metal track links.
Rear marker lights in place...
Rear marker lights in place...
Front marker lights in place as well as a coat of flat gunmetal on that turret MG barrel.
Front marker lights in place as well as a coat of flat gunmetal on that turret MG barrel.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

...Cont. ( Click to Enlarge )
Attachments
Making a start on the turret with some more clear plastic for the lenses there.
Making a start on the turret with some more clear plastic for the lenses there.
Clear plastic lenses fill in for periscope glass
Clear plastic lenses fill in for periscope glass
A closer view...
A closer view...
Looking much better than the plastic pieces
Looking much better than the plastic pieces
Mounting blocks 2 part epoxied into place
Mounting blocks 2 part epoxied into place
Tracks and Mounts checked for spacing
Tracks and Mounts checked for spacing
Scratched track link bracing installed through the epoxy filler and mounted on the inside of the lower hull.
Scratched track link bracing installed through the epoxy filler and mounted on the inside of the lower hull.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Roy!
Thanks for looking in, Sir. I thought I should drop some progress pics in before folks thought that I had set the tank aside.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Navy chief
Recruit

Post by Navy chief »

You sir have some impressive modeling skills.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening, sir,
There are some true Masters on this Forum. I'm an amateur. Maybe after I retire, I'll have time to work on my skill set. I'm glad that you are enjoying the build. I should have a minor update tomorrow night.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Navy chief
Recruit

Post by Navy chief »

PainlessWolf wrote:Yesterday, the improved speaker for the tank showed up from Maxmekker in Norway. I installed it last night and the tank sounds can now be described as 'Amazing!' The slightly larger size of the speaker housing has shown the need for a smaller or flatter battery. People I speak to have convinced me that NiMh batteries are going the way of NiCad types when it comes to Hobby applications. I am planning a visit this evening to one of those retail battery Shops to see if I can get a Li-Ion type one made up ( still don't completely trust LiPo batteries ) Pics: (Click to enlarge)

I apologize in advance as you may have already considered this. The battery pack for the T90 (I think the T34 as well ) are a bit smaller. Also, as I have the same JS2 tank, I noticed if the un needed feet on the bottom of the hull mounted smoker are removed, the battery can moved aft some.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking. Where did you get the front machine gun cover ? Much better than the naked plastic fibre opt tube.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
The Battery pack is a good idea if I can locate one at a minimum of 3000MaH. ( This tank is a weighty Beast ) I did remove the feet on the bottom of the smoker ( carefully as the stock smokers are finicky as all get out ) and it helped a bit. I'm working with Maxx from Norway to see about a possible F5 speaker box that will match the size of the Taigen stock speaker. The KV-1 bow MG is made by BUG and is available from Dom at RCTank.de as noted by Wardog. Just use the long barrel portion and set the bottom brace aside and use a longer piece of fibre optic. The ball mount will need a slight drill out for the barrel to install but it is worth it. Much better looking turret ball MG results. The bow MG on this tank had no external barrel so I just shortened the piece of fibre optic that lights up and it is satisfactory.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”