Jake's Metal Orgins Puma

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Davjacva
Recruit

Jake's Metal Orgins Puma

Post by Davjacva »

While I'm waiting for the first of my two FAMO's to get re-worked in Germany, I'm going to be working on my Puma from Metal Origins. I've had the kit for about 3 years and it's time to start on it. Compared to my last 2 projects, this will be cake, but it does have some issues to be re-worked. There's also some additional items that I'm going to improve, such as the total BS involved with having to un-screw the top hull to access the bottom to change out the battery. We're going to do this with rare earth magnets as we did with the WeCohe Panther. Anyway, this is the vaunted Puma (SdKfz 234/2) 8-wheeled armored car. This thing was 8-wheel drive and all 8 wheels turned. The driver could drive going forward, and if caught in trouble, could spin his seat around 180-degrees and there were rear controls so that he could drive rearward in a dash. What I'm showing with this initial work is I've acid-treated the metal for improved adherence of the primer and paint. I used Tamiya metal primer, but I don't think using this alone is enough so I use a metal etchant (Ferric Choride). I then follow on some parts using Deoxit, which removes some of the oxides built up due to the composition of certain pot-metals. Only the hull needed it. The arm controls in the photo didn't need it, nor the aluminum hull pieces. I found out with old cars that pot metal has a wide variance between manufacturers, and chroming was an issue with this. Going on a tangent I know, but that was the reasoning. Anyway, cleaned all parts with PrepSol and then sprayed with a few coats of Tamiya Primer. I'm going to follow this with Tamiya acrylic paint XF-60. This is going to be my first all-acrylic paint job since the hobby has mostly vacated enamels these last few years. Thanks a lot to Silversurfer and my buddy Bret Bensen for leading the way on their Puma's. Anyway, more to come. Oh yeah, I'm playing/spinnin' Guns N' Roses 'Appetite For Destruction' and Beetles 'Meet the Beetles' tonight.
IMG_4046a.jpg
IMG_4046a.jpg (76.32 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
IMG_4047a.jpg
IMG_4047a.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
IMG_4048a.jpg
IMG_4048a.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
IMG_4049a.jpg
IMG_4049a.jpg (79.4 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
STHV
Lance Corporal

Re: Jake's Metal Orgins Puma

Post by STHV »

Are you planning on making it an IR battle vehicle and giving it gun recoil and elevation/depression?

also slight nit pick, the driver could not just simply rotate his seat as the second set of controls were in the rear of the vehicle on the opposite side of the turret basket instead there was actually a second rear facing driver, i am guessing he would help the loader when he was not needing to drive backwards
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

No, this is just going to be a runner. I stopped doing battlers before 2010. I've got about 7 dedicated battlers, and sold off more than that. These later years I just got tired of the re-work. This vehicle is very problematic making it into a battler, mainly with electronics I've read. Thanks for the input with the drivers. I've read it as I described, but that doesn't mean jack, and your description makes sense in the small confines of this vehicle. I'm pretty sure this is the first major model I've ever had that I have absolutely no reference material on, just been reading and downloading from the internet.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I'm tuned in a ready to watch your progress :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

If you have a hunt, you will find the thread from my build. It might help you avoid some of my pitfalls. Alternatively I shall be reading this with interest to see if I can pinch any ideas.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

Silver surfer, I not only have your build on my favorite link list, but I finally joined this forum after reading it. I have two buddies that also built it, but their info wasn't as detailed. I am trying to not fall into the pitfalls of the kit that you all have explained, and I think I have some corrections on some of the stupid designs of the kit. Primarily getting the upper hull off to change a battery I think can be infinitely easier than having to unbolt the thing. I am going to use rare earth magnets. I did that most recently on my Wecohe Panther and it works great. Right now I am seeing how far I can go with pre-painting the metal parts. I've acid-treated all the parts to increase adhesion. I plan to use Tamiya metal primer, and it's not perfect, but pretty good. Normally I would use a Dupont automotive primer, but I want to keep the thickness down. Weather right now sucks, so its keeping me from painting. More later.
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

Here's some progress photos. Even though I have acid-treated the metal and used a good primer, the Tamiya base coat of XF-60 does not hold up like an enamel, and I will have to do a final spray once finished. Anyway, here's some production photos. I'm not doing as many photos as Silversurfer did, but just a bit slightly different in building. A big hat's off to him as he really did a big show of his build that has really helped out. Metal kits are a real bitch at times to work and get detail from. This one is infinitely easier than the last two kits I've worked on (see Porshe Tiger and WeCohe Panther), but it's still a metal kit and is much harder to get detail. I was going to paint the motor housing, but realizing I have to break in the gears in an oil bath, then degrease and paint, I decided to hold off. Enjoy.
IMG_4050a.jpg
IMG_4050a.jpg (95.4 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
IMG_4052a.jpg
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Pleased that my efforts have been a help. Watching your work with interest.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

Silversurfer, this is something that was pretty well covered and addressed with different methods of attack by different people on your posting. The inside of the wheel hub is much tighter than the outside (which the bearing slips right in and out of in contrast). My answer was to take a 3/8" brass tube and wrap the end of it with some 220-grit wet/dry glued down and go to it as a reamer. It cleaned right up in a jiffy and did the first three in a few minutes. If it had been a little tighter, I would have serrated the edge with a Dremel and wound that in, then go back with the sand paper. Anyway, got them done. Sorry, the photo's not the best but I'm running off to bed and wanted to get this out.
Jake
IMG_4053a.jpg
IMG_4053a.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

It is a great vehicle, but very difficult to be functional. A friend very handyman has the big difficulties with his Puma. The problem is the teeths broken, due to the poor quality of gear wheels. But today, I have seen than metal origin has made a new gear box.

I buy one, I don' t buy one, I buy one.........................., I don' t know...
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...

Return to “Other Builds”