Taigen T-34/85

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Taigen T-34/85

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The internals are meticulous !
Exceptionally neat & tidy.
Cant beat a nice T34/85/Su 100 combo !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Bit of a turn around on the T-34...

I think I blew one of the XCar ESC's, and as Hobbyking UK is now out stock again and I don't have any spare, I've reinstalled the original Taigen MFU.

It will also allow my son and I to battle with multiple tanks, as not all three tanks will be bound to the same Tx.

So, back to the original plan of keeping this stock-ish. The revised internal layout will remain so the 6000mAh battery can be used. Just need to make a Styrene plate for the switch and volume to be accessible from the drivers hatch...

Had to modify the speaker enclosure to clear the 360° wiring loom of the turret.

Will still be making a SU-100 upper for an extra build.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Electrics are all in place now, have made an accessible power switch and volume caddy which makes life easier once the battery is connected.

Lift up the drivers hatch, and hey-presto!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Fascinating, all good work. I have had to tackle the same problems on my Torro version but I've been trying to avoid using the drivers hatch and keep it for the driver figure - maybe a clip in head and shoulders will suffice? I'm also trying to utilise NiMHs but I'm struggling to find space for sub Cs and 2/3 As (as used by Torro to save space) only run to 1500mah so no better than the supplied 1700. I'm happy to use Lipos but Torro states not, though don't say why unless its to do with their charging port not supporting them?

The first thing l did was add 2 track links to each side and readjust the tension on the idler wheel. As delivered the track was so tight the metal/rubber tyres road wheels were held upwards by the track leaving no suspension travel and the idler wheel out of place. Once sorted the T34 drives more smoothly, turns easily and crawls more slowly with easier control than any of my other tanks, and that includes my IS-2!

Keep up the good work. Hope Taigen follows it too, could learn a few points.

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks General - I'm sure that the Torro and Taigen versions don't differ that much at all?

I have used LiPo's for a few years now and wouldn't go back to the NiCd/NiMh cells - using a voltage checker to ensure you don't run them too flat is the main consideration, oh and making sure they don't combust on charging!

Without rearranging the electrics, I wouldn't have been able to fit any battery in easily...

I also added in the two links per side and it is much smoother, the suspension is still very stiff and has limited compression though.

I'm also finding that one of the gearboxes isn't meshing fully onto the rear drive gear, so if stuck it will grind teeth if not careful - unfortunately there is no adjustment possible without modification. :thumbdown:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Would you consider asking the retailer for a warranty replacement motor/gearbox? They shouldn't fail quickly. As for lipos, I've been racing with them for many years, as l have Nihms and Nicads pre 90's but Nihms offer a more stable supply at a lesser price so, like brushed motors and no carbon fibre parts, I'm happy slumming it for tanks!

I've also seen lipos get their own back when abused......ahhh!

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Now up for sale - £275 RTR!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jimbo_wa wrote:Now up for sale - £275 RTR!
I hope this doesn't mean you're contemplating quitting the hobby, Jimbo :wtf: :O Your OCD- or should I just say fastidious- wiring arrangements are really inspirational. :D You'd certainly be a loss.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I hope this doesn't mean you're contemplating quitting the hobby, Jimbo :wtf: :O Your OCD- or should I just say fastidious- wiring arrangements are really inspirational. :D You'd certainly be a loss.
Thanks for the kind words Roy - but no, you're not getting rid of me that easily! :thumbup:

Age old issue of funding required elsewhere and I'm happy with 3 tanks still...

The T-34/85 sold on eBay last night to a lovely chap called Alan - I've pointed him over to here too. :wave:
Hoser
Recruit

Post by Hoser »

My son has the same tank he bought new as a scratch/dent sale here in the States. Same crack in the same spot as yours. I rotated the idlers to slack the tracks a bit as it jammed rocks in the wheels and drivers way to often. It has dozens of scale miles on it since and still is running strong with no more noticeable wear at the chassis locations. The tracks clear debris much better now also. Pain in the rear to line up the little divots when adjusting the idlers,,,good luck and have fun !

Return to “Other Builds”