1/4 scale Panzer 38t

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
T_ankmann
Recruit

1/4 scale Panzer 38t

Post by T_ankmann »

Hey all! A little while ago I started piecing together my own project of making a 1/4 scale Panzer 38t ausf A for the funs of it all. I can make a empty box easy enough but command and control systems are a magical mystery to myself so that's how I discovered this forum, which I've spent hours lurking in.

I'll be detailing the process as I go along, I'm new to most everything I'm doing and any suggestions or ideas are always welcome
Attachments
IMG_4469.JPG
IMG_4469.JPG (38.25 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
T_ankmann
Recruit

Re: 1/4 scale Panzer 38t

Post by T_ankmann »

Turret minus main gun. If anyone has info on the main cannon let me know there is very little information on it
Turret minus main gun. If anyone has info on the main cannon let me know there is very little information on it
tuaasdfg-768x491.jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
I've been doing research and building CAD files of all the cast pieces and assemblies. Originally planned on 3D printing in ABS but after a wild bout of masochism I have decided to do sand casting into aluminum once a part is printed.

The first part I finished designing was the turret. The plates are designed as flat patterns so I got some 11guage steel cut at a local place now I have to bend the steel to the correct curve. Maybe a wooden mandrel or form will be used. Maybe. Might just hammer it out on an anvil.

So yeah as it stands now I will got most of the tank designed and some parts printing, it's gonna take a lot haha.
Chassis and some of the drivetrain and suspension, which still needs work
Chassis and some of the drivetrain and suspension, which still needs work
sept2-768x457.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
I've also got all the plate steel cut and a basic frame designed, although I gotta redesign some parts before I try again. I'm also a terrible welder so that's going to be an issue
My obsession with the Panzer 38t is not unhealthy I swear
T_ankmann
Recruit

Post by T_ankmann »

I wish I had pics of my prints. I'm not home till Sunday but I'll get you guys images of the steel, prints, and some of my failed castings when I do.

So, I ordered an openpanzer PCB... Maybe thinking of using like scooter motor or wheelchair motors? We'll see how that works. This things going to be well over 100lbs
Attachments
Rear-quarter-768x614.png
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Looks good. Could you rivet it together? Welding thin plate isn't easy (not that I know how to weld).
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

This is looking very good. I'll be watching closely. I have a 1/6 38 Hetzer that shoots .50 caliber paintballs, and I always thought one with a turret would look very good next to it.

It's also great to have another 3D printer on board. Let me know if you're interested, and maybe I can get you a head start on some of the better free stuff, like Jerry cans and hedgehog tank traps. Very easy to scale up or down, too. I started making 1/16 20 liter jerry cans, and then scaled them up to 1/6 and they came out just great. What kind of printer are you working with? Filament or resin? I have the creality cr-10, and i just bought the new SLA from creality, the LD-001, but it's going back. I already opened a claim at paypal and they have about 3 days left to respond. The printer is good, and the test file included came out great, but the proprietary software (the only software that will run this thing, TIKO) is total junk and I can't get it to create a pngzip file the printer will accept. Very frustrating, but we'll get it returned and now I'm torn between the Wanhao D8 and the Peopoly Moai. Much more bread, but I think it will be well worth it. If you get a chance to see what I'm doing with trucks you'll see why I have a strong desire to be able to print a truly first class tire for these trucks. The FDM printed tires, using TPU, are pretty good, and way better than nothing, but a resin printer shouild give much better results.

So welcome aboard, T.M. I'll be watching this one with interest.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
T_ankmann
Recruit

Post by T_ankmann »

Printer I am using is a Crealty 10 S5 Plus. I got the biggest I could find haha, so far PLA but I think I'll switch to a wax based print to cast for the aluminum parts such as tracks and tow hooks

Rivets... Possible. The frame was designed to accept rivets at full scale and didn't really like being scaled down, and furthermore 11guage is an eighth inch thick, easily weldable says my welder brother. We will be gluing rivet heads on post process haha.

Let me finish some of the printed parts and yeah I'd love to have a remote printer! If it pleases you I can give you the entire projects STL files for your help... Although I'll be putting it up on Thingiverse once I'm done too

Question: scheduled to be over 250lbs, where to source the motors?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

You should take a look at this thread. It starts out in 1/16 but Wayne is printing the tank in 1/6 scale. Yeah, it's a real beast. He'll have to take it all out of the room it's being printed in before final assembly because if he assembles it, it won't fit through the door.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24871

I used electric scooter motors in my Hetzer, and it weighs just over 100 pounds and has a steel lower hull.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350W-24-V-DC-e ... 2349c5ac77

I'm using a chain drive.

So far I've tried PLA, TPU flexible for tires, and a wood composite for crates. Wax sounds like it has a lot of possibilities. I'll bet it's big with the jewelers.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
T_ankmann
Recruit

Post by T_ankmann »

Haha yes I am watching the T25 thread closely! He's done a beautiful job this far and I can't wait to see it run
I've got a rolling garage door so I needn't worry about that size issue.

Did you do a build thread for your hetzer?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Here's my Hetzer thread. It's still a work in progress. :haha:

viewtopic.php?f=150&t=22899
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

1/8", I'd assumed you were using thin sheet: yes that'll weld. Think that's thicker than my Land Rover chassis.....

Return to “Other Builds”