Saratov StuG III

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Saratov StuG III

Post by c.rainford73 »

You do top notch work :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

c.rainford73 wrote:You do top notch work Image
Thank you for your kind words.

I'd love to do this build justice - the more I look at it, the greater the challenge as there are details that require additional work to the HL upper.

After realising that the front glacis(?) is different, today has been more chopping and guesstimating...

A bit of filler and learning to 'weld' should see it good!ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Very nice, it really seems to be the version you are doing. Only to say, that the lower angle in the oob HL Stug is not wrong per se.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

It was just one of those little details that needed attention!

However, now it's full of holes!

Went a bit mad on rctank.de and have a few more hatches and stuff coming...

Also put the speaker in and tidied up the wiring - just waiting for the Taigen sound card to turn up.

jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Test of my new Taigen Panzer III/IV sound card and the 2" Monacor SPX-21M speaker.

Seems to be louder in reverse and the start/stop sequence is definitely louder than the running ENGINE. May have something to do with the 50% limit in reverse setting on the 1080 ESC's.

phpBB [video]

Also managed to butcher a Torro(?) metal rear panel to fit my Taigen chassis... Image

jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Thanks to Forgebear, I now also have a Panzer III upper - unfortunately, the original electronics placement fouled with the turret ring.

Have now rearranged everything lower down and offset...

I also had a late Xmas prezzie from the other side of the world!

Thanks to Herman Bix for the great service of allowing me to order a couple of Open Panzer boards from Hobbyking AU, and letting me swap my Ostketten with his Winterketten - top bloke all round!

The StuG now looks as it should.

HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Glad you got your stuff ok mate. Tough gig getting my "domestic logistics" department to get things done for me when Im so far away from home at times :/
The bladed Winterketten look really good on any PzIII chassis, especially on a StuG .
I've painted your Ostketten tracks but have yet to make the time to add pigments to them.
Tell ya what though, even without pigments, these things look like they were meant to be on my thing !
Now I need to get hold of a few links of 'Ost' so I can try to remove the stowed sections of Winterketten track off the engine deck :problem:

Your StuG is going to be a special treat Mr Jimbo, especially as you also have a swap-over upper hull just to mix things up when the mood takes you !
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A meticulous and eye-popping arrangement of the lower hull internals, Jimbo :thumbup: :clap: With such a low profile in the StuG 111, I guess it's always going to be a challenge finding the perfect placement, such that the upper hull bits (especially the gun, which needs room to elevate)..don't foul those resident in the lower hull. :| I ran into similar spatial problems with my Cromwell and StuG IV projects, and had to rejig everything. :problem:
Have you thought about recoil and elevation mechanisms, or are you going to leave the gun in a fixed position? Like you, I have an alternate upper hull (Tauchpanzer) for my StuG 111. Seems like good economics- and a space-saving measure to boot- to have a two-in-one tank :thumbup: :)
( :shh: Incidentally, when you wrote 'feckled'... I think you might have meant 'fettled', as 'feckled' only appears now in Urban Dictionaries...and is very, very rude :lolno: :haha: )
Following your handiwork with keen interest, and admiration. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I've painted your Ostketten tracks but have yet to make the time to add pigments to them.
Tell ya what though, even without pigments, these things look like they were meant to be on my thing !
Now I need to get hold of a few links of 'Ost' so I can try to remove the stowed sections of Winterketten track off the engine deck :problem:

Your StuG is going to be a special treat Mr Jimbo, especially as you also have a swap-over upper hull just to mix things up when the mood takes you !
Must. See. Pictures!!! :D

Sorry I didn't have any more spares links for you, I'm sure some will turn up from somewhere...

Thanks for the kind words, I'm really enjoying this part of the build - soldering and making are my thing, it's the painting and weathering that's going to be hard for me!
43rdRecceReg wrote:A meticulous and eye-popping arrangement of the lower hull internals, Jimbo
Have you thought about recoil and elevation mechanisms, or are you going to leave the gun in a fixed position? Like you, I have an alternate upper hull (Tauchpanzer) for my StuG 111. Seems like good economics- and a space-saving measure to boot- to have a two-in-one tank
( :shh: Incidentally, when you wrote 'feckled'... I think you might have meant 'fettled', as 'feckled' only appears now in Urban Dictionaries...and is very, very rude :lolno: :haha: )
Following your handiwork with keen interest, and admiration.
Cheers Roy - bang for buck is where I'm at! :angel:

Yep, the idea is to have a fully servo controlled recoil, elevation and traverse if I can work it out and build it in Styrene...

And no, when I say feckled - I mean feckled. :O

Much appreciated! :thumbup:
texas armor
Recruit

Post by texas armor »

Im not sure if someone had mentioned it or not but the original tank was an F model with a copula added on..thats the reason for the different upper hull slopes. You can see the roof vent in the picture!
Its a great job your doing so far!!
Dan
Its a mother beautiful tank.....

Return to “Other Builds”