Centurion mk3

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Centurion mk3

Post by tomhugill »

Hey guys, my hobby time is very limited at the moment but managed to do some little bits and bobs.

Thanks to Frankie for the Sherman tool sprue, started filling the mounts I'd made. Used the shovel with a new handle to get it close to the British ones I've seen, the pick axe heads are similarly adapted from the Sherman tools. The pry bar was frustrating as I'm.sure I've a nice metal one in a bits box somewhere but no sign of it! Hey ho I kit bashed one instead.

A nice feature of the early centurion was the name plates they carried, some styrene lettering and thin plastic are backing et. voilà.

Lastly found a spare British extinguisher (although I'll need two) which goes nicely on the turret.

Need to pull my finger out and figure how to do the British tow ropes and tiny shackles.

I'm also toying with do the commanders 30cal some.were fitted with. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Been a while (least it feels like it) since I got a chance to work on the centurion. Today the planets aligned and I got a couple of day time hours undisturbed.

I've decided to go for a Korean war centurion, and I found some reference shots of them sporting comanders 30 cal machine guns. I had a resin 30cal in the bits box and knocked up a mount for it and an ammo holder.

On the rear of the engine deck are some grab handles. These hadn't 3d printed very well so I removed them and replaced them with bras rod instead.

I like my tanks with antennas, so I scratched some out of 0.6mm brass wire and styrene rod. Drilling the 0.6mm hole in 1mm styrene rod was a challenge.

Frank and another chap off rctw kindly donated some tools so I managed to add the two shovels, a hammer, the two pick heads, handles and a bar as well. Tools wise just need to make the tow cables now. I think the mounts look much less lonely for having their pioneer tools present.

Lastly a bit of work up front, the tank didn't have tow shackles. I bought some taigen tiger ones but they were huge. So got some plastic panther ones and cut them down till they looked close enough in size to pass muster. I also added the tow hooks from the tamiya Pershing and finally I ammended the mounts as they were quite right. They were cut down so the hooks sat in line with the front of the nose rather than below.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

And the toolsImageImageImageImageImage

Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Looking forward to seeing it green!!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Ad Lav wrote:Looking forward to seeing it green!!
Me too! Still too much to do, need to get the extinguishers and antenna base nial did for the firefly as they're perfect for it. Also need to detail the hatches, that's going to be fun.....
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

Been a while since I posted on the centurion. I've got a fair bit done and the build portions nearly done.

I've finally cobbled together the tow cables, detailed the insides of the hatches with a mixture of scratch built and 3d printed parts from Woz. New periscopes with hoods

New more detailed antennas, fire extinguishers that are properly scaled, grab handled on the field radio.

Also chris kindly agreed to supply the travel lock from his centurion. This was a fun little build, all functioning now.

ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Awesome detailing work Tom :clap: :clap: :clap: I can't wait to see the tank painted and liveried.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Thanks for the kind words Alwyn! I'm
Looking forward to getting some paint on.

I've also managed to get a set of decals for a Korean War subject made up which is quite exciting!

Also means I can legitimately weather and dirty it up a bit

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

Had a little more time so cracking on with the details, some little bit (no idea what they do!) done on the front stowage bins, added the rest of the tow cable holders and shortened the cables. That's nearly the last of the details, so paint very soon!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Tom! Good afternoon,
You have gone from a glossy plastic piece to a proper tank. Great Work!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”