Centurion mk3

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Centurion mk3

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

;) Tom, it says the video is unavailable.

Other than that, you're getting along nicely :thumbup:

Such a cool model :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

A little progress in the Centurion, Alwyn has been working on some mods to stop it from throwing tracks, new sprockets with a different tooth design, new tyres which are wider so there's no room for the track to misalign when turning. I've also installed some stronger springs to the rear bogie to offset the weight of the PDSGB. I've also tidied up the electrical installation and stuck everything down. Just waiting for the FR7 speaker and new motor wires to finish this.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Now that the mechanical and electrical side of the build is almost sorted I've turned my attention to the cosmetic part of the build. Initial blast of primer on the turret to show up any imperfections. Next step is Mr surfacer 500 to fill ridges from the 3d printing. I'm also using the Vallejo plastic putty to fill any larger gaps. Once that's done and cured I'll sand with 240 and 400 grit sandpaper paper ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Someore centurion testing. First video was to see how she coped on grass. Untill the end perfectly! Not sure why both tracks popped off but something to have a look at in the day time. Really heartening to see after I fitted the new wider tyres and stiffer rear springs that she's making sweeping and tight turns without throwing tracks. In this video she was running a 2s lipo.

Second video with sound. Here shes running a 3s lipo, a little leary if I thrash her! I think a 2s lihv will be a nice compromise.

Since the other videos you've seen I've swapped out the drive pulley from one with a 2:1 reduction to a 1:1 ratio (thanks Carson Dklm). Driving forward there's still masses of power, but because the turning is one a separate motor there's no reduction in turn power! The PDSGB really are awesome.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Looking good Tom, very nice indeed :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Looking great Tom, I've no idea why it threw tracks at the end of the first video, it went all through it's paces and performed fine right to the end so ??????

Maybe the tracks/sprocket just need a thorough running in. Can't wait to see it in final livery and battling. :clap: :thumbup:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Now I think I've got the electrics and the running gear sorted my attention turns to the visual side of things. First job was to finish priming the rest of the tank. As always tamiya fine surface primer. Next up I'm smoothing the ridges from the FDM printing. The main turret is a cast affair so using Mr surfacer 500 stippled to add a cast effect. On the glacis I used Mr surfacer 1000 for a roller steel texture. The printed parts have been sanded, Mr surfacered and sanded several times.

I had thought once I'd got this bit done I could start painting. Then it looked up Centurion MK3 on Pinterest. Big mistake, I've found all manner of detail to add, oh well better now than when it's done!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looks stunning Tom :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Looks excellent Tom :clap: :clap: even without the extra detail you know you have to do ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Yes Tom, stunning. You need to get Alwyn started on a Mighty Antar transporter now. He can borrow my '60s Dinky model for reference ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection

Return to “Other Builds”