Panther

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Panther

Post by ronnie42 »

Trumpeter Panther G and Taigen lower hull, this should keep me busy . A few builds are on the forums , if i am stuck lots of info available.
Might manage 2 builds if i can cut some perspex to show detail . Upper hull and turret will go on the Taigen hull , well thats the plan.
Expect this to be a challenge
Expect this to be a challenge
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Panther

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking forward to this one... :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Cutting acrylic isn't easy, needs a very fine blade and a gentle un-rushed approach, by hand is safer :thumbup:
Lock your power tools away unless you are used to cutting it.
If it's thin stuff, using a hooked blade to score until all the way through whilst on a firm flat surface works well.

For curves, a fine sharp hand or machine fret or vibrow saw with water to cool the blade and plastic at the cut.
Always hold the workpiece firmly to stop bouncing.

Obviously protect the surface from scratching.

You can use diamond or carbide cutting tools, like those used for tiling, a wet diamond tile cutter (like a circular saw table) should work, depending on the grade of diamonds (they can differ manufacturer to manufacturer, and what type of tile they're for), to how well they'll cut.

Patience is the key, whichever way you choose :thumbup:

I hope this is helpful, sorry if you already understand the brittle ways when cutting acrylic.
Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

I wish they had done an Ausf. A. I just completed a WeCoHe Ausf G as an Early and always wished for an Ausf A. Glad to see this and hope to see continual build photos.
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Was thinking of the same concept with a trip m1a2 and HL chassis
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Hey there. Did you already try to mate the Tagen and Trumpeter hulls, do they fit?
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Front almost ok small gap viewed side on. Little off the lower hull and it may slide downand reduce the gap.
Front almost ok small gap viewed side on. Little off the lower hull and it may slide downand reduce the gap.
Hi Soeren better late than never
Hope this is OK. A few pictures . The Taigen is not quite as long, only the width to the rear plate shorter. The Taigen at front looks good, at there rear the trumpeters slightly wider but the kit might have inner parts to fit for scale armour plate. Fire away with questions if you need.
Side ok
Side ok
Looks bad but rear has a bow due to all the cutouts for grills etc
Looks bad but rear has a bow due to all the cutouts for grills etc
Gap
Gap
Sitting on rear plate so should drop down
Sitting on rear plate so should drop down
Rear gap is less if you hold deck down.
Rear gap is less if you hold deck down.
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Great, thanks. I would have assumed the front to be off even more. Maybe you can also compare the lower front plate. I had the feeling that the shape of the whole front would be off when compared to the appearance of a 30th scale dragon kit. The atak Zimmer for Tamiya went on nicely though. Now it is interesting to see the back gaps. Did you compare the Trumpeter back plate as well?
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Hi Soeren

Tried Trumpeter upper hull on my HL Panther , it has had the front lower angled plate cut out and has a shallower angle now. Taigen base to top of sloping front plate is 35mm measuring vertically , Trumpeter is 31.5 mm.
Pics of the HL its a better fit due to the front angle change .
rear gap 1
rear gap 1
rear gap 2
rear gap 2
Shows fillers for scale armour to fill gaps at rear
Shows fillers for scale armour to fill gaps at rear
Better fit on HL Panther, after front end slope was made shallower
Better fit on HL Panther, after front end slope was made shallower
2/3 mm overhang , could redo sloping lower plate
2/3 mm overhang , could redo sloping lower plate
almost perfect fit at rear
almost perfect fit at rear
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Started build ,ready for stage 7 painting the lower hull suspension. This is going to be a long build 7/122 stages and a massive parts list. Some have used metal rc tracks, saves building tracks with 4 parts per link :( .
Torsion bars work on the road wheel side.
Torsion bars work on the road wheel side.

Return to “Other Builds”