Churchill 1: first attempt at scratch building.

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
C.Ellis
Private

Churchill 1: first attempt at scratch building.

Post by C.Ellis »

Hi everybody!
Recently I have been doing a bit of 1:76/72 scale modelling because there is a much wider variety of models, especially British tanks (which are my favourite). However I wanted to make something in 1:16 again (after doing my tiger). I started reading about the Dieppe raid and fell in love with the Churchill 1. Owing to the lack of commercially available Churchill models in 1:16 scale I decided to attempt a scratch build 8O

I decided to do the turret first as I was low on styrene and the turret used the least amount. Unfortunately I neglected to take photos during the build an can only show pics of the finished turret.
The basic shape of the turret was built from styrene and covered in milliput and Tamiya putty to hide my many crimes :think: and to give it its shape.
The commander's hatch opens using home made brass hinges, but I got sick of faffing about with little bits of brass when it was time to make the loaders hatch so that one stays closed.
The barrel for the 2pdr was made from styrene tube which I put into a drill and turned it down to a taper using sandpaper and a file. The mg barrel was done in the same way using brass tube.
Please give me lots of feedback as this is my first scratch build and I would love to improve my skills.
Next step is the hull :thumbup:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Churchill 1: first attempt at scratch building.

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I reckon bloody good on ya for having a go at that mate ! ;) :thumbup:
Looks fine by me.
How on earth are you going to tackle the tracks though ?
I have seen Mr Hugil with some Churchill track on one of his Shermans, but of course that wont help you !
Maybe he knows where to get it ?
Are you going to fit the Y-shaped deep wading exhaust stacks on the rear ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

First of all I applaud your subject matter. It's such a unique and exceptional tank. Considering the complexity and curves of the Churchill Mk1 you've done a great job. I'm looking forward to the hull. Those tracks might be a challenge I'm sure.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
C.Ellis
Private

Post by C.Ellis »

To be honest I haven't got a clue as to what I'm going to do for the tracks. When scaled down, the width of the churchill's tracks is about 36mm. I was thinking about using pz4 tracks but I'm not sure how wide they are. :think:
In regards to the exhaust extensions Herman, I'll be doing those as well as the air intake trunks as they seem to be fitted to all the Dieppe Churchills. Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

You maybe on to something. I know the Churchill tracks are very different from panzer IV tracks but could ostketten versions be passable? Image
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Or possibly the taigen panzer III or IV heavier version of the narrow tracksImage
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

C.Ellis wrote:Owing to the lack of commercially available Churchill models in 1:16 scale
What about the DKLM/OKMO Churchill Mk VII ? He also has the metal tracks as well.

https://www.dklmrc.com/product/ccmk7
C.Ellis
Private

Post by C.Ellis »

Hi guys, thanks for the help. :thumbup:
Mr Rainford, Do you happen to know the width of those heavier pz3/4 tracks? From your pictures they look alright.
MichaelC, do you happen to know if the churchill's tracks can be purchased separately from the model? These would be the best option. I had a look on the website but I couldn't find any further information. :think:
Thanks again for the suggestions!
rmichalbarna
Private

Post by rmichalbarna »

Very good Mr! :clap:
http://www.mujtank.tym.cz

Model:Tatra 141 +p32 1/16
T34/85 1/16
Tiger 1 1/16
BMW R 12 sidecar 1/16
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I, (for one), am very excited that you're building a Churchill. Many of us feel that when we get so fed up waiting for a manufacturer to produce something, and decide to go ahead and build it ourselves - as soon as we finish it, some manufacturer will then decide to release one! So, if that turns out to be true after you finish your build; a lot of us are going to be very grateful to you so that WE can finally get one! Ha. -Mike

Return to “Other Builds”