Jake's Asiatam VK4501 (P) Part 2

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Davjacva
Recruit

Jake's Asiatam VK4501 (P) Part 2

Post by Davjacva »

Okay, so the test post worked and now I can proceed. Thanks for your patience. The Porsche Tiger I've wanted to do for at least 15 years and have been collecting parts for it, including tracks, and was even going to sacrifice one of my 3 Imai Elefants for the project, luckily Asiatam came out with one...and all metal too. I've never worked something all metal, so some of the detail was daunting, whereas the needed machining was pretty easy to address. Here's how the tank came.
2) IMG_2454a.jpg
The problem discovered right away is that the turret turns on an ellipse and not circumferentially, so I wound up ditching the turret, and using a Tamiya turret. This also helped because of the modifications that subsequently had to happen with the turret.
3) turret-IMG_2470a.jpg
Here you can see with the two turrets where the problem is with the Asiatam turret. The back-end goes over the driver's periscopes as it's turning on an ellipse.
4) turret-IMG_2471a.jpg
4) turret-IMG_2471a.jpg (71.85 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
The Tamiya will turn much better.
5) turret-IMG_2472a.jpg
5) turret-IMG_2472a.jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
So in order to do this of course, the deck has to be re-machined to fit the turret and the Tamiya drive system.
6) turret-IMG_2468a.jpg
6) turret-IMG_2468a.jpg (61.9 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Here's after machining, and after the recess was created. Not mentioned, was my rotary table became a pain and I did a lot of this by hand...a little X, a little Y...yes a pain.
7) turret-Porsche-Tiger (P) (1)a.jpg
7) turret-Porsche-Tiger (P) (1)a.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Now here is the turret in-place with the Tamiya turret drive installed.
8) turret-Porsche-Tiger (P) (6)a.jpg
8) turret-Porsche-Tiger (P) (6)a.jpg (91 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
After running the turret and polishing the turret race until it operated smoothly, the next issue was found after I was tuning up the bogie suspension assemblies. After installing and removing a few times, the part with the two halves inside the tank where the screw mounts started coming apart and one sheared off. This was not acceptable. So I had a buddy who who wasn't too busy if he could create me some new shafts made of steel that were threaded and halved on one end, and also, he added a set screw so these assemblies could be further adusted for tension. What we found with the Imai Elefants, which these were copied from, was that you have a given spring and that was all the adjustment you got.
9) bogie upgrade-IMG_3119a.jpg
9) bogie upgrade-IMG_3119a.jpg (79.42 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
And here's the finished product on the left alongside one of the stock ones on the right.
10) bogie upgrade-IMG_3121a.jpg
10) bogie upgrade-IMG_3121a.jpg (68.13 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Next I'll cover the turret work.
Davjacva
Recruit

Re: Jake's Asiatam VK4501 (P) Part 2

Post by Davjacva »

Next up is back-dating the mantlet to one of the re-inforced 'first 50'. You used to could just order Parts tree 'F' from the Tamiya Afrikan kit and the world was fine, but they discontinued the kit, so we have to do some surgery. Here's cutting out the offending area, and then making the area smooth, I re-used the gun-sights portion, then using automotive putty (Evercoat Z-grip) I made it all back up. it's going to be covered in zimmerit anyway, but I digress...
11) Mantlet-IMG_3085a.jpg
11) Mantlet-IMG_3085a.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
And here's the finished piece.
12) Mantlet-IMG_3109a.jpg
Next up for the turret is the stowage bin and the track stowage assembly that has to be created beneath it. ALERT: WHAT ASIATAM GIVES YOU FOR ALL THIS JUST TOSS IT ASIDE. Asiatam provides a PzIII stowage bin, so I had to get one from a Tamiya kit that was correct, but lacked any detail which we'll fix later. Years ago, I had to scratch one out for a Bandai PzIV when I tossed the whole turret in the garbage, but luckily I don't have to this time...but the parts tree with the stowage bin is $40. Also, getting info on the stowage rack was tough, and I had 5 references, but that all came through.
13) tracks stowage-IMG_3068a.jpg
13) tracks stowage-IMG_3068a.jpg (63.46 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
14) tracks stowage-IMG_3404a.jpg
14) tracks stowage-IMG_3404a.jpg (54.76 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Another thing Asiatam does not do is provide the correct front glacis fittings, so these have to be modeled in and strengthened as its a metal RC vehicle.
15) front glacis work-IMG_3544a.jpg
15) front glacis work-IMG_3544a.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Now another big-game changer. When I got the lower hull complete, I assembled all that was needed to test the drive system. During this testing I had to re-adjust some of the bogies and how the sprockets ran, so no big deal and back to testing, and it ran great...until...it was discovered the gearboxes have gears that are heat-pressed onto the shafts and a number of them were slipping. Tossed these into the box and went and grabbed a set of Tamiya Type I's as they would fit into the back end of the hull. So I had to machine new outdrive shafts and mount them into new holes and filling in the old ones. Getting everything aligned again and test ran it...and it works great. What you see in the photo below from the lower right going counter-clockwise is the stock Asiatam gearbox, above it is the new Tamiya gearbox with a newly machined outdrive shaft, to it's left is the stock Tamiya Type I and below it the brass stock that's going to be it's new outdrive shaft.
16) gearbox upgrades-IMG_3563a.jpg
16) gearbox upgrades-IMG_3563a.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Next deal, is to create the rear deck screens with racks. These were all soldered then screening glued down.
17) screens-IMG_3677a.jpg
17) screens-IMG_3677a.jpg (87.95 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
At this point I'm laying zimmerit and am using Milliput, and as you all know when doing zimmerit, you have to have the tools/fitting ready to go. Here I had to get creative with brackets I had to make and how they were to be mounted, while laying zimmerit. Fun, fun, fun.
18) zimmerit-IMG_3619a.jpg
18) zimmerit-IMG_3619a.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
Now it's time to get all the interior electronic items installed. I forgot to mention, and I believe it's because of all this metal, but the original motors were getting a lot of interference, so I replaced them with some higher-torque long cans and the problem was eliminated. To get these to fit, I had to cut even more portions of the gearbox frames away...no biggie. Of course all the outside fittings and base coat of the exterior and the interior is all painted out.
19) Interior-IMG_3694a.jpg
Now it's time for painting, and this also is the first time I get to use my spray booth I bought a few years ago. I wasn't at the point of doing any painting, so hadn't used it. Here I've got the basic 3-colors on.
IMG_3701a.jpg
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

Now it's time to hand-paint the markings and numerals.
IMG_3702a.jpg
IMG_3702a.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
IMG_3704a.jpg
IMG_3704a.jpg (97.9 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
IMG_3725a.jpg
IMG_3725a.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
The tank is now painted, now to muck it up.
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (4)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (4)a.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

One thing with the completed vehicle was with the unit marking front and back. I made a two-part stencil for it, but looking at the photos while it is on the train, the crew did a basic job of it, not very detailed like you see on some Elefants. Anyway, here's the finished vehicle.
Jake
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (10)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (10)a.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (11)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (11)a.jpg (83.94 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (13)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (13)a.jpg (81.82 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (16)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (16)a.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (17)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (17)a.jpg (88.07 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (22)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (23)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (23)a.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (26)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (26)a.jpg (78.03 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (30)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (31)a.jpg
Porsche Tiger Completed 17Nov18 (31)a.jpg (77.53 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

That's all of it. A big thing at the end with photos I had to contend with was lighting. I have an awesome camera but had bad lighting and need to switch to a (blue?) bulb. These were taken without flash as the flash really distorted it all. I'm finishing up my WeCoHe Panther and I'll be better prepared for it. Anyway, it is what it is.
Jake
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Brilliant work. Always wanted to build one of these. Such an interesting machine that you have done to a very high standard :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

Wardog et all, thanks for the comments. With the photos, this is really a good comment I need to take care of. I'm shooting with a Canon Rebel and with the closeups, some portion of the photo is in focus, but other areas aren't. It's got six sensors and whichever one picks up, the autofocus takes that one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. With digital, I take at least five shots for each one. I was doing them in flash, and they were really awful. Doing closeup shots I really need a macro lens vice a zoom lens, but thinking about it, I was shooting this time up close all the time, instead of backing away to about 4' then zooming the lens in. I think you probably get a better handle with the sensors. Funny thing is people come up with their phones and take great photos now :)
thanks,
Jake
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, fantastic build Jake :clap: :clap:

I used to have a Pentax with all the bells and whistles in its time, borrowed a variety of lenses from my brother, yet I took better pictures with my pocket Vivitar.

I gave up and took my Pentax to a swap shop, came out with a compound hunting bow (I don't hunt) and a crossbow, I can shoot them much better lol.

Now I use my phone, and I have various lenses I can attach to it :thumbup:

Anyway, I love your P :clap:

Mick.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:thumbup: Once you figured out how to post your pics, you treated us to an impressive build thread. :thumbup: Clearly, you're no slouch when it comes to improvisation, and engineering problem-solving, in 1/16 scale.
Failing studio type lighting, a couple of decent anglepoise lamps can provide the light you need for crisp images indoors. I use an iPhone 6 or Canon EOS 600D for my shots, but outdoor shots in natural light give the best results I find. As for Asiatam products..well, they look good at first sight; but the parts frequently don't fit together very well, and the harder you look the more you find what you didn't wish to find. :problem:
All Asiatam models should be supplied with a swear box >:< :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Davjacva
Recruit

Post by Davjacva »

Thanks, I'll figure out the photo stuff, before the WeCohe Panther is completed which gives me a little time. The Asiatam stuff is actually pretty good, BUT... they are not something that someone that's used to kit assembling only should dive into. The model is there, but you are going to have to perform corrections in order to get it up to speed. You can see a good idea of what it took to get this last project going. I spent four years doing it, but I have other hobbies. The FAMO's will need some work, but I'm planning on getting the four into a production line and getting them done. One is going to be a SdKfz 9/1 which will take some added work, but it'll come. The gearboxes are going away, all shafts will be changed out and bearings added. A lot of the screws are going to require helicoils they are so bothed up. Going to braze some brass towbars and they'll be awesome. Really glad they came out with stuff that no one else is doing. Metal is a good medium as it gives better life and realism to these vehicles instead of the 3 pound plastic boxes running around. I've got another problem child with some issues, although minor that I'm probably going to parallel build with the Famos and that's the Puma. Big issue with that is the gears. It's late and I'm rambling, sorry.

Return to “Other Builds”