Wsn mid tiger rebuild

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Wsn mid tiger rebuild

Post by cashybai »

After reading Tanksforthememories magnum opus on his normandy mid build, and jnewboys wsn/hl double build, I decided to bite the bullet and crack on with doctoring my own wsn. First job was to decide which specific tank to go for. I could go for any of the obvious Wittman ones, but it seems almost every dog and his duck has one of them!
The reference
The reference
I had a dig through my reference books, pulling out Schneiders "tigers in normandy", he quoted ss-p.ab101 3rd company as having rubber rimmed roadwheels, so that'd be one job less.. Looking deeper 3rd company was blue numbers with yellow border, that'll do for me. 304 was abandoned near falaise August '44 with an illustration in Schneiders book, giving me a start.
rsz_dsc_0056.jpg
rsz_dsc_0056.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
The addictions getting worse... Pantiger, WSN Tiger Mid, WSN T34....And now a Jagdpanther...HELP!!!
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Re: Wsn mid tiger rebuild

Post by cashybai »

I'm waiting a few bits coming in for the build, but job list includes:
Change to 2.4
probable rebuild with HL gearboxes
Zim the hell out of it
Servo recoil (& elevation now)
Front track holder
That's just the bits off the top of my head....
While I'm waiting for the bits, I've cracked on with a few initial body mods to get me started.
dsc_0046.jpg
Quick view of the side, starting to damage up.Opened up the commanders hatch, need to construct the MG rail and sort the cupola out.
dsc_0047(1).jpg
Side skirts damaged and one removed.Load of fittings to remove, but that's for another day.
dsc_0048.jpg
Exhaust covers damaged,centre of the exhausts drilled ready for the smoker. Mudguards off, got mato metal with hinges on the way. Do I do the convoy light as well?
dsc_0049.jpg
More skirt damage & removal here, aerial relocated ready for Dave (Forgebears) aerial with rubber base to come. Two holes at the back to sort from the old aerial mount & an led.
dsc_0050.jpg
Right, for the time being I've got a HL LED mg in the ball mount.Ain't brilliant, but does for the time being. Coaxial mg deffo needs sorting as its a tiny thin fibre optic tube.As does that shovel.
The addictions getting worse... Pantiger, WSN Tiger Mid, WSN T34....And now a Jagdpanther...HELP!!!
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

Pressies in the post, the servo recoil unit from rctankelectronics, nice piece of kit, but I've realised it'll be easier to get the servo elevation kit as well.
dsc_0055.jpg
Did think of sticking with the WSN barrel, but I've gone metal ..
dsc_0054.jpg
HL 2.4 setup. This is the first of my silly questions, the rx doesnt look to have a socket vor the volume control, secondly sounds. The wsn has sound already, what do I need to get sounds on mine, ie what extra bits do I need, or are they nickable from my doner HL or the original WSM?
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Great build thread and nice to see one more recent Tiger build :thumbup:

When you can get a gear ring section you wont need the elevation kit. Just glue the section to your unit and put a servo on, et voila.
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

Cheers Soeren, thanks mate, hopefully I can do her justice! I also owe Dave (Forgebear) a big cheers for the helpful info from this morning, the query around the 2.4 setup now sorted, looks like I'll be doing a rethink on the recoil and elevation, plus is I've two good elevation units to use, just got to do rebuilds on the recoil units to get them playing possibly.. If that's the case I'll have a servo recoil/elevation unit going spare....On shift now until next Monday, hopefully I'll have a load of happy post waiting for me..
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Bear in mind the H/L electronics system you have wont operate the recoil.
Thats ok to get it rolling, you can always revisit a better control system later on.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

Thanks Herman, now thinking if I can tie the WSN recoil into the cannon/fire option on the HL 2.4...
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

or use the taigen turret infared on it :thumbup:
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

Still not walking away from that one Dave!
cashybai
Lance Corporal

Post by cashybai »

Stuck at work on nights, so having a mooch through old posts on here, stumbled across this viewtopic.php?f=137&t=7613 by Dietrich, including a colour plate of 304, really helped me visualise how to do the camo..
3rd_101st_304.jpg
3rd_101st_304.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 2872 times

Return to “Other Builds”