Centurion Mk III Scratch build

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Centurion Mk III Scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Mick, it's hard to see from my photos but the centre suspension isn't quite central between the front and rear suspension units, it's about 3mm closer to the front than the rear, but it isn't obvious from the pic. I did make a boo boo initially and had the rear suspension too far forward so after that I got paranoid with the measurements :crazy: :/

Thanks for following and querying it though, on scratch builds sometimes others can pick up things that are missed and it's best to pick up problems early.

Actually its weird because thr blueprint shows the centre suspension slightly closer to the rear set than the front set, hmmmm, time for a recheck.

ALWYN :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yup rechecked it and the centre suspension is 5mm closer to the rear suspension than the front, checks out against the 1/35 model. I think it's because the rear of the tank is heavier due to engine, transmission, fuel, etch. :thumbup:

ALWYN :thumbup: :wave:

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

After a long hard fight, it gave in and here is the lower hull complete

The return rollers were lots of fun but after a couple of design snafus on the half rollers at front and back I finally got there.

The centre spindle 2 is for the half-rollers

That's the boring bit done, now for the upper hull and turret.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Strange how some things look odd (no reflection of your work Alwyn). When ever I read of a Centurion tank, my mind gallops back more years that I care to remember, to my Dinky Toy model. When I had it, I never gave a thought (or had the knowledge) about side skirts. That has stuck with me, so to see a naked hull, so to speak, it just looks very odd to me.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Yes it doesn't look right without the sideskirts, they will come along later. At least now I can get on with the upper hull which will be a lot more interesting.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Work has started on the upper hull

The track covers are 378x57mm of 2mm styrene located 17mm forward from the rear of the lower hull. There is a 1.5mm thick lip on the lower inside of the track cover to locate the upper hull on the lower hull. The front of the track cover has a 5.5mm x 30mm notch cut to accommodate the sloping front glacis.

The hull platform sits on the track covers and has outriggers to stabilise the track covers during construction (scad below)
The hull platform is located 83mm from the font of the track covers

Lots to do

Last edited by AlwynTurner on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Hi Alwyn,
have you posted the return roller hull mountings?
Cheers
Wayne
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Wayne, I'm not sure but probably not, here they are

scad removed

Sometimes I get a bit carried away and forget which bits I've published :crazy: :D

Last edited by AlwynTurner on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

You’re an absolute star Alwyn & fast with it
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Here's some of the upper hull parts

Ploughing along

Return to “Modern Builds”