IDF Sherman

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby dabber » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:41 pm

Got my hands on a Mato cast hull and T23 turret from a mate, she was built as an easy 8 on a Tamiya HVSS tub. As nice as she was I decided to convert her to the above.

So far so good, with a lltle scratch building and new parts purchased she’s nearly ready for paint

I’m using a Elmod fusion pro board, with servo controlled recoil and elevation.

When I fathom out how to post pictures ill get some up. Now, shes not strictly accurate or representative of a specific tank with loads of modellers license, not up to the usual standard as on here however I like her so far
Last edited by dabber on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dabber
Private

Postby Ad Lav » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:55 pm

Nice, look fo ward to the photos!
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:51 pm

dabber wrote:When I fathom out how to post pictures ill get some up. Now, shes not strictly accurate or representative of a specific tank with loads of modellers license, not up to the usual standard as on here however I like her so far

Who cares, we can still appreciate the effort you've put into her :thumbup:

Looking forward to you getting pictures up.

Mick.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Great thing with IDF Shermans is a great deal of modellers license makes a great tank, no two were the same so happy days! I've done an m50 and m51 and planning two more chillean m51s and an m50(M60) interchangeable top for one.

tomhugill
Captain

Postby dabber » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:06 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words fellas.

Just tried taptalk to post images, given that up just have too try and get Photbucket working again.
dabber
Private

Postby Ad Lav » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Tapatalk works fine - load images in small setting and direct from the phone.
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby dabber » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Why is life so difficult, I’m blowed if I can get this taptalk working for images....gonna give up for tonight and try again tomorrow.
Last edited by dabber on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dabber
Private

Postby JohnWhyte » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 pm

I do like the Israeli Shermans and looking at doing another at some point but for now I'll link mine
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23279

JohnWhyte
Corporal

Postby dabber » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Images to follow later......Adlav (Adam) has kindly agrred to post the first bunch for me while I get to grips with this upload stuff.

Gary
dabber
Private

Postby dabber » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:29 am

Just testing this out.....,.Not very exciting I’m afraid, get more images and script up later
Last edited by dabber on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dabber
Private

Postby Ad Lav » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:52 am

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby dabber » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:05 am

Here we go....... as mentioned I got this Sherman easy8 from a friend, who also got it from a friend, she was very well built but showing her age slightly.

Time for an upgrade, as I really like the Tamiya IDF M50-51 decided this was kinda golden opportunity and the way to go, Radical yes, but doable and should look OK, you may have a different view after looking at the progress.

Ordered some Tamiya parts from a well know German supplier...... sprues with jerry cans ammo boxes, spare wheels tracks etc, you know the stuff thats hard to make from scratch. Also Adlav kindly sold me the barrel and muzzle brake, which looks very nicely made.

Went to town on the weld lines as there weren't any, and texturised the turret and upper hull with Mr Surfacer to simulate casting marks. Also build the rear underside stuff with engine access hatch (a little oversized I know). Tried to alter the existing rear hull access hatch to a later version, didn't really work so decided to make my own, turned out semi OK, if a little out of proportion. But, liveable.

Made up spare track stowages, side locker, also made up/fitted and detailed smoke launchers. Had a go at the jerry can stowage, quite pleased with them. She’s not accurate, but I like to think a little interesting.

Well thats a start, a little more detailing with small chain and other stuff, then the fun starts. I’ve never used an air brush before so, could all go horribly wrong very quickly.......right.

Image[/url]
[Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Many thanks for looking, not a masterpiece, but I like her hope you do too.

Gary
dabber
Private

Postby Ad Lav » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Great start. Look forward to seeing it in colour :)

I did load some photos.
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby dabber » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Laid down the first base coats of IDF sand grey on the lower and upper hull. She still looks a little patchy, gonna leave her overnight to cure off.

Have to say never used a airbrush before but, I am really enjoying this so far.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
dabber
Private

Postby Ad Lav » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 pm

looking great :)
Ad Lav
Lieutenant

Postby dabber » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 am

Many thanks Adam.......I’ll post more images of further progress later.

Gary
dabber
Private

Postby dabber » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:10 pm

A quick question please...... What type/manufacturers gloss clear coat do you recomend? prior to applying washes and streaks.
dabber
Private

Postby tomhugill » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:27 pm

dabber wrote:A quick question please...... What type/manufacturers gloss clear coat do you recomend? prior to applying washes and streaks.

Tbh I've never bothered

tomhugill
Captain

Postby dabber » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for that, and the kind words.

As I’m a complete novice to this weathering lark think I’ll use a gloss coat as I’m bound to muck up, and at least the basecoat is protected.

Think I’ll use Alclad ll as my local model shop stocks it. I’ll get some and wack it on today, overnight drying should be long enough.......right.
dabber
Private

Postby dabber » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Just a quick update...... nearly done, just a few items to detail now and, some streaks minor scratches. Then on with the semi matte clear coat, fit the Elmod fusion pro and, away we go.

As mentioned, she’s not accurate or a work of art, however I’m pleased with her.

Many thanks for taking the time to look/comment.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
dabber
Private

Next

Return to Other Builds