1:16 Blue Star Models/ An-Bri Hetzer Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: 1:16 Blue Star Models/ An-Bri Hetzer Build

Post by c.rainford73 »

Better comparative view....ImageImage
Tanks alot.... :wave:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Carl, just a suggestion but you might want to build and rc the lower hull first so you can be sure that you can fit all the necessary bits in before you build the upper and then find that it all doesn't fit :O :crazy:

Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

The Blue Star kit looks better in proportions and details.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I agree with you both. The plan is to build the lower hull and modify for rc and then make decisions. I'd really like to adapt the an bri running gear to the tub from Blue Star, it would be more accurate and allow for more room to install the electronics.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

That's quite a difference in quality between the two. If it were me I would build a great model out of the nicer one, and even if it was too small to RC, it would be a stunning static model. If the other one could only be built with the less than perfect parts, I'd make a battlefield wreck out of it.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

wibblywobbly wrote:That's quite a difference in quality between the two. If it were me I would build a great model out of the nicer one, and even if it was too small to RC, it would be a stunning static model. If the other one could only be built with the less than perfect parts, I'd make a battlefield wreck out of it.
You are now onto something. As of this afternoon, I assembled much of the lower hull of the blue star kit without gluing anything except for the final drives and it's really stunning IMHO. Now it's very early so the An bri kit still has a very good chance of becoming a running kit, but I have been mulling plans for a munitions Panzer bergehetzer like this....Image
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Here are some shots of the blue star kit with the suspension articulated by me. Mostly drilling, sanding tapping and patience. A good soak in very warm water and the big resin parts are starting to look much better.

The idlers and road wheels spin freely! Not an off road vehicle for sure, but it's looking more and more feasible to convert. Image

I've included a shot of the An-Bri kit with the gun shield provided in the kit. ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Carl,
You have yourself a challenge ( or two there ) but I know that you are up to it\them. Following along, Doc.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Carl,
You have yourself a challenge ( or two there ) but I know that you are up to it\them. Following along, Doc.
regards,
Painless
Thanks as always Mr Painless. These two will be a challenge for sure amongst my other current builds but I'm confident it will all work out in the end.

Much appreciated
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Start of the holiday weekend here in the states. After finishing some chores for my bride, I went down to my desk and did some more work to the Blue Star kit. I drilled all the suspension arms and wheel mounts to accept Stainless Steel hardware and now the suspension arms travel and wheels roll freely.

So much more to do with both kits.

Will turn my attention to the An bri hetzer next to see how that suspension and wheels mount.

Thanks for checking in. ImageImage

Return to “Other Builds”