Imaginary tank

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Re: Imaginary tank

Post by bikerdude »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Thanks for the posting dude :thumbup:

Shame things didn't work out that well.

And laugh out loud to you and your make shift hand repair :clap:

But, the most important thing, did you have fun?

Yes, the plate for ground clearance was my idea, but I will add to it, if you add a plate to what you already have, sadly that would lengthen the tracks needed, making them even weaker and more likely to snap :(

I'm glad you got the chance to test your handy work :thumbup:

Mick.
Definitely had fun, and my son had a great 30-40 minutes with it, even if he did struggle to get to grips with the twin stick steering.

I had thought about the length making them even more susceptible to snapping, There's a few ways around it that I can think of:

A: Cut the bottom off, and add the metal plates, retaining the current shape and size.
B: Cheat, dummy tracks fixed in place along the top half, giving the tracks a straight run about half way up the tank, reducing the length a bit.
C: And finally, what I'm more likely to do. Cut out the bottom of the hull, and lift it up 1-2" then refix it. Keeping the angled plate at the front for the looks but this shouldn't be enough to beach it. Then I'd either need to keep a couple of plates at the rear, where the gearboxes are mounted, at the original height. Alternatively, with a lot of redesigning of the front, I could mount the gearboxes at the front, as the foremost wheels, as thats the only other place I think I can get enough track wrapping around the sprocket to get good power delivery.
Will01Capri wrote:thanks for sharing, but to stop bolt bending, you need to hold the axles in double shear maybe with the tension you are using!
Currently maybe the wood is soft that is still allowing it to sink in a little possibly!
Its just because your track length i guess and the movement which is why you need such high tension to try and hold it there. Because the bolts are bending inwards with hubload generated from your track tension, the tracks are riding to the point of high tension. But the wheels and sprocket will fight this and cause it to spit out and maybe cause uneven loading across the track width.

You need to be able to compensate the slight variances of the track running the length of the system and then you will also be able to reduce the track tension.

sorry hard to explain, but can be sorted

family beach holidays are always cool
Excuse the very badly drawn diagram, but it was done very quickly on break at work, on MS Paint... On the right is how it's set up at the moment, on the left is what I want to change it to. Just need to find some suitable metal plate, unsure of what thickness to go for to give me the strength required, but that can still be relatively easily cut to shape.

Also trying to think of a way of making a couple of the wheels that are on the curved parts of the track run sprung so they keep the tension on the tracks but will give if the tension increases. a bit like this belt tensioner thats on my motorbike:

bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Done very little to this lately, currently got a yacht on the workbench that I need to sell so I've got some room again. However desperately trying to find something to do in the garage on Saturday I had a go at making a turret out of whatever I could find lying around. And tada! We end us with this monstrosity! It won't be getting used but it gave me something to do for 10 mins. 50p to whoever can guess what I made it out of... :crazy: :D

Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Haha cool. I know what ya mean when you say you need something to do.
Like the use of a kitchen tap. At least i think I'm right.....
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Will01Capri wrote:Haha cool. I know what ya mean when you say you need something to do.
Like the use of a kitchen tap. At least i think I'm right.....
It's definitely at that stage of the school holidays when I'm starting to wonder if my wifes and kids are going to go back to work/school?!

And yes, didn't think anyone would get it so quick. The old tap was leaking so fitted a new 1 and kept the old to get the copper out of it, then when I pulled it apart I thought that'd make a half decent barrel, I'll get it on the bench grinder and hopefully make it useable, then probably use a block of balsa to do a turret.

Return to “Other Builds”