Imaginary tank

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Imaginary tank

Post by bikerdude »

So, I wanted to make a tank that the kids can use on the beach on holiday. Wanted to go with something fairly simple, and using the cheapest most abundant parts, so I chose a WWI style shape, using Tiger I parts. Not got very far at the moment, lacking both time and money. I’ve got a rough shape cut out at the moment. My approach was going to be to do it in 5 different main pieces. A box to go in the middle, containing all the electronics. Then a shaped plate bolted to each side of the centre box, with the drive sprocket and all the idler wheels fixed to it (to keep it simple it won’t be having any suspension). Then another plate to cover over all the idlers.

All I’ve got so far is this rough mock up, I’ll get 1 done, then use that to cut around and use as a template to drill for the idlers the other side.

bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Re: Imaginary tank

Post by bikerdude »

They are fairly stiff, I was going to soak them in something to try and free them up a bit. As for length, yes a lot longer than standard, it’s 2 full lengths from a HL Tiger. One of the wheels in the top left of the photo will actually be the normal Tiger idler, and that’ll be on some sort of adjustable mount, so I can loosen it off to remove/fit the tracks then tension it. How exactly I’ll go about it, I’m unsure as yet. Possibly something like the real WWI tanks.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Yea, another pair of tracks and I’ll need more road wheels too, when funds allow.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:LOL, can't have this build held up, can't keep your kids waiting.

I'll have a look in my bits box later, I'm sure I can donate you a pair of tracks and a set of wheels.
That's very generous of you, if you do happen to have any bits I could swap it for the remains of a Tiger (turret, upper and lower hull, minus the wheels and tracks).
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

No, don't need the arms, if its the same as mine it's just pins that push into the suspension arms, pull out with a twist. Let me know if you have got the bits and we'll sort something out, cheers.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Small advancement, but a bad MOT fail for my wifes car took up a fair amount of time, I hope to get further on Sunday, just need to pop to wilkos to get a load of nuts and bolts! Hopefully have some photos of 1 side of the set up early next week.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Yea I think I've got enough running gear for it now thanks, time is the issue at the moment, wifes car failing, checked mine Friday as its due in 4 weeks, and found I need a front lower suspension arm, front to rear brake pipes, handbrake needs some tweaking, and front droplinks... Wilkos let me down as well, their nuts and bolts bit had been ransacked by someone! I'll pop back in the week and try again, unless the local shop to you does online?) Got the wooden shapes cut out now, just need to put it all together now. Got a couple of 12v SLA battery's I'll use to power it.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Minor progress today, popped into a different branch of Wilko on my way home from work, again looked like someone had ramraided their nuts and bolts section, but did find 2 packs of M4 x 50mm nuts bolts and washers, only 5 in a pack though, so only have 10, and need at least 30! But at least I now know what size will work, so I can find some online. Only issue I found today is what would normally be the inner set of tiger road wheels (thin wheel on the outside, thick on the hull side), seem to have smaller holes, so will either need M3 bolts, or drill the wheels out a bit.

As it is I got all the holes drilled for the road/idler wheels, decided I’ll do the tensioning by various positions for the gearbox, rather than try and make an adjuster for 1 it the idlers. May use an old bike battery I’ve got lying around for power and ballast, at 35AH it should last them well on the beach. Also looking to see if I can possibly fit a 540 or similar type motor in place of the standard 380’s(?) to the metal gearboxes.

Only a few photos cos there’s not a lot to show, but here’s some of the wheels fixed in place, with the gearbox positioned (and quickly dabbed onto a battery to make sure it all turns).

bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Hazards of ordering from various suppliers, 300 washers, 100 nuts and 100 nylocs arrived today, but no sign of the bolts, so still no more progress. Doubt I’ll get chance over the weekend either, working Saturday, and then taking the kids to ‘wicksteed at war’ at wicksteed park in Kettering on Sunday.
bikerdude
Lance Corporal

Post by bikerdude »

Lol Yea might've been quicker, but the bolts arrived today. Unfortunately I now can't find my tiny modelling spanners for the 7mm nuts! Hoping to have a bash at the car Saturday afternoon, then crack on with getting 1 side of the tank finished on the Sunday evening.

Return to “Other Builds”