Torro toy tiger - upgrading in progress

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
hedgepig
Recruit

Torro toy tiger - upgrading in progress

Post by hedgepig »

Torro Tiger (mid production) WIP
Torro Tiger (mid production) WIP
Bought a toy Torro IR tiger 1 for my son who loves tanks. Didn't like the toyness of it or the fact that you have to use AAs in the tank.

Got a bit carried away with trying to improve it a bit with a Taigen IR turret and Taigen zimmerit pieces (ugh, horrible stuff) and metal cupola and vents (among other things) - now need to finish tweaking the turret (had to hack up and use the Torro turret base), painting and then add the RC bits into it (IBU2 with Spektrum). Base coat is Zandri Dust (sp?) from Citadel/Games workshop.

MG will be inserted after painting!

Truth be told, would have been better off just getting a Taigen late model and adjusting it...
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Torro toy tiger - upgrading in progress

Post by midlife306 »

Ahh right, so you bought it for your son then lol
Welcome to the world of “need another tank”
Enjoy
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hedgepig
Recruit

Post by hedgepig »

No this one I did. Really. He's not 2 yet but he does love tanks! However, the other Tiger I'm working on (a second hand Taigen) is mine. There may be a few more awaiting some attention too ;)
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looks just perfect so far
Tanks alot.... :wave:
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

He’s not 2 yet.....
I’m laughing so hard my belly hurts
Good luck with the build
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hedgepig
Recruit

Post by hedgepig »

Heh, maybe I'll make him a wooden tank of that size at some point - far easier to work in that scale!

Here's where we are before I ruin it by trying to get transfers to work - the film is just so visible over satin paint so I'm guessing I need to hit it with a bit of gloss first? Never had this issue in 1/72 scale!

Also confession time - first time airbrushing for around 14 years (and first time with a double acting airbrush) and I screwed up - used the wrong thinners for the paint so it curdled & looked terrible (amongst other rookie mistakes). Let it dry and then tried to rescue it - should have gone back to base layer and started again :( This time used ethanol for the thinners which seemed to work better.
IMG_0561_opt.jpg
IMG_0565_opt.jpg
Note to self, spray painting at dusk with a dim outside light is not clever! :{

Still to do - sort a better method of attaching the front to the chassis - and fix the mantle droop that resulted from the internal butchery of the original turret base to fit the Taigen turret.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looks very nice, are you going to make it a bit worn and weary or light weathering?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
hedgepig
Recruit

Post by hedgepig »

Thanks for the kind words - the camera is actually very flattering (especially with a reduced size photo!)...

I'm going to go for light weathering to start with, at least until I can get my mojo back. (I must confess that seeing some of the works of art on display in this forum, my mojo may consider early retirement on grounds of ill health...!)
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

That is a nice paintjob. And the camo scheme reminds me of one on my Tiger models :thumbup:

Return to “Other Builds”