Hooben Tiger (P)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Re: Hooben Tiger (P)

Post by sassgrunt »

Yes the gearboxes in my Elefant are exactly like the ones in your photos. I do want to replace them with something better, and am hoping that DKLM will eventually make one to fit. In lieu of that; the link I posted about swapping out the gears seems like a possible alternative.
And as for bearings, I don't know that it will ever get run often enough to really warrant them; but I just figure that if I don't install them now, it will be impossible to try and retrofit them later.
MBI
Recruit

Post by MBI »

I´m working on a own version of Tiger (P) VK 45.01 (P), scale 1:24.
It should be possible to build in the equipment of the Torro Forces Of Valor Play Edition.

Some pics of CAD modeling, work in progress: ;)

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

The asiatam tracks don't really fit, the sprockets won't fit the gearboxes and the guide horns on the tracks are a little too with for the hooben wheels. I've gone the hole hog on mine and replace the running gear with asiatam and bought the Ludwig aluminium CNC tub.
MBI
Recruit

Post by MBI »

The Porsche Tiger startet with KGS 62/640/130 tracks !

Later the KGS 64/640/130 were in use.
I think the Hooben model has the 64/640/130 tracks, because of the Elefant Version.
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I have some questions regarding the tracks as well. I know that the first several VK 45.01's had different kinds of track. Some were as narrow as 600mm, (and those vehicles are easy to see in photos because the fenders do not extend past the hull sides). The different tracks also had a guide tooth on every link, instead of what is seen on the later Elefants, with a guide tooth on every other link. Photos show that the #003 vehicle that Hooben has modeled had an every-other-link track.
I have seen discussion regarding the Ferdinand/Elefant differences that suggest the KGS 62/640/130 track was used on the Ferdinands, and that it was changed to the KGS 64/640/130 track when the Ferdinands were rebuilt into Elefants after Kursk. I don't know if this is true, but one thing I have noticed from photographs is that the "direction" of the track links seems to have changed after the rebuilding. On photos of Ferdinands, the "open" edge of each track link hits the ground first hen driving forward. (This doesn't make sense to me, as it would seem to pick up rocks and dirt and squeeze it in between the track links). On photos of Elefants, the track links are installed so that the "closed" edge of the links hit the ground first. The #003 vehicle also has them installed this way.
MBI
Recruit

Post by MBI »

sassgrunt wrote:I have some questions regarding the tracks as well. I know that the first several VK 45.01's had different kinds of track. Some were as narrow as 600mm, (and those vehicles are easy to see in photos because the fenders do not extend past the hull sides). The different tracks also had a guide tooth on every link, instead of what is seen on the later Elefants, with a guide tooth on every other link. Photos show that the #003 vehicle that Hooben has modeled had an every-other-link track.
I have seen discussion regarding the Ferdinand/Elefant differences that suggest the KGS 62/640/130 track was used on the Ferdinands, and that it was changed to the KGS 64/640/130 track when the Ferdinands were rebuilt into Elefants after Kursk. I don't know if this is true, but one thing I have noticed from photographs is that the "direction" of the track links seems to have changed after the rebuilding. On photos of Ferdinands, the "open" edge of each track link hits the ground first hen driving forward. (This doesn't make sense to me, as it would seem to pick up rocks and dirt and squeeze it in between the track links). On photos of Elefants, the track links are installed so that the "closed" edge of the links hit the ground first. The #003 vehicle also has them installed this way.
Yes, I think this is absolutely correct.

The direction of the tracks were changed.

You can read more about this in German here:

https://books.google.de/books?id=mf14DA ... 30&f=false

and here:

"Die Kette Kgs 64/640/130 lief in entgegengesetzter Richtung der Kette Kgs 62/640/130."

http://www.panzer-modell.de/specials/so ... _tiger.pdf
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

How is she doing? :-)
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Code501
Private

Post by Code501 »

She's still in the same state, unfortunately. Life happened and I couldn't make time to properly work on her. Upcoming weeks won't be any different, because of the heat. Hopefully I can continue late August, when the heat has passed.
*Leopard 2A6
*JagdSturmTiger (128mm PAK 44)
*JagdTiger (88mm PAK 43)
*Elefant
*SdKfz 234/2 Puma
*SdKfz 251 PAK 40
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Post by Marco Peter »

Winter is coming! :-)

Building is coming? :-P
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
Code501
Private

Post by Code501 »

I hope I can make some more progress next week!
*Leopard 2A6
*JagdSturmTiger (128mm PAK 44)
*JagdTiger (88mm PAK 43)
*Elefant
*SdKfz 234/2 Puma
*SdKfz 251 PAK 40

Return to “Other Builds”