JS3

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: JS3

Post by wibblywobbly »

Now on my third data recovery program, the first two never found a single STL or Openscad file, but this one is apparently the best, so if it finds nothing then I know I am scuppered....they take hours to analyse a disk.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Oh, I created a partition on the desktop HD, copied all of my files into that, and then copied them again onto my laptop, which was once owned by Julius Caesar, its that old. The HD filled up, but I thought hey, I still have all of it on the partition.

The laptop was creaking so I thought, I'll just chuck them all in the recycle bin as I can always get them back.
Did a desktop OS reinstall that promptly reformatted the entire 1TB desktop disk....
The laptop recycle bin has a limit, delete too much and the files don't go in there, they just got deleted.

It was my own fault...curiosity got the better of me....
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The recovery worked for pics. I seem to have got them all back.

If you ever sell a pc, take the hard drive out and burn it. This drive had been reformatted and had an entire operating system installed. The recovery tool got 300,000 pics? Every site I have ever visited, Ebay, news sites, deleted pics, dodgy pics that I have never seen before in my life, thousands of them, all there and viewable. If the pic was on the page it stored it, regardless of whether I had clicked on anything.

Documents are the same.

I haven't got the STL or SCAD files back, which is a pain, but I will have another go with different settings and leave it running overnight.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Wibbs, aren't most of your STL files out there in other places? I know some of them are at thingieverse, and I'm sure anyone you shared files with would be happy to send you a copy.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The ones on Thingiverse are probably around 2% of what I had on my pc, I can get those back anytime, but they aren't the ones I am after. The Project 704 was a big file, and the IS3 likewise. I was going to reprint the Gorilla as well. There is a Chieftain turret and mantlet to add to the mix that I was going to post up for Alwyn to use. The Morris Quad, Limber and Gun, and the SU20 are safe on Pinshape, or at least the STL's are, the Openscad files were on the pc. I used to have other stuff on Shapeways, but never used it so closed the account long ago.

I have only just discovered that Photorec has a website, and on it I can upload a test file, and see whether the program would recover it. I tried an Openscad file as .scad files aren't in the list of searchable file names. It found it as it identified it as a .txt file.

This discovery may have come a little too late, as I have now added new programs to my OS, and stored all of my recovered photo's, video files, and documents on there. This will have overwritten areas of the disk that may have had the Openscad files on. I am currently running Photorec again on a .txt search to see what it finds, the snag is that a pc has hundreds of thousands of .txt files on, so I am going to have to wade through all of them to see whether any of them are what I am after.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Photorec is finding hundreds of thousands of text files.
Another program can index those files, and search them for keywords.
Found the majority of the Project 704, Gorilla, and SU76, plus recoil designs as Openscad files, though as to whether they are complete or the last versions I saved, I don't yet know.

This may take days to complete!
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

That's brilliant news Rob, all those man hours of work recovered, you must be very happy. :clap: :clap: :D

I hope you recover the rest.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Well, at least you're rescuing stuff you thought lost, well done you sir :thumbup:

So amazing, just goes to show it's not propaganda that the police can find stuff, and fiction when they find stuff in films or tv shows.

Also, where does all the spare memory come from if things aren't truly deleted :think:
This is the simplest way that I can describe it. When you save a file onto a pc it has a flag on it, like a pointer. The disk knows to look for the pointer when you want that file.

When you delete a file it replaces that flag with one that says that this file is deleted. It doesn't actually remove the file. It is still there, but the disk knows that it can overwrite that disk space if it wants to.

A recovery program goes through the disk, ignores the flags, and just pulls back the files that are on the disk. The disturbing thing is that there was a bunch of stuff on there that had been downloaded from websites without me knowing. Videos, pics etc, that I have never seen before in my life.

I have complete scad files for the Comet, Project 704 (I think), SU76, and Gorilla, plus recoils. I have seen no sign of the JS3 or Chieftain. I have abandoned the search for now, as it will take days to complete the process. The program that I can run under Windows on my laptop is much faster but doesn't dig as deep, but Photorec that I am running on the Linux desktop pc digs very deep and takes forever. It also looks for files only, I can't tell it to look in a file and only retrieve those that contain a keyword, which means that thousands of text files get retrieved. I will look for one that will do that.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

No one else has access to any of my pc's, the hard drive was brand new and sealed when I bought it, that's why it was a shock to see so much on there. I know that there is a cache in a browser that collects data from a site so that it already has the site held in memory when you navigate around it, but it seems that this includes video's and stuff from elsewhere. This cache is quite huge about 350mb, when it fills up the data gets overwritten and the space is recycled. I have now reduced mine to 50mb to limit what can be downloaded in the background.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

After a marathon session yesterday, the recovery tool got back over a million files. :wtf: Every time I had pressed CTRL+S during a design, it saved a copy, so there were stacks of files and I had to find the last saved version for each one. I used a tool called Recoil that indexes all of the files and their contents, and then searched on keywords. It worked. I managed to get back 95% of my Openscad files. My poor desktop pc was running for at least 40 hours doing the recovery and indexing the files and it still never got to the end! This is an i5 pc that runs pretty fast?

I have posted the Chieftain parts in the downloads, and will do the same with the JS3 when it is complete.

I am now officially a Happy Bunny. :clap:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1

Return to “Other Builds”