JS3

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby wibblywobbly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm

Having done the Project 704, I got the Russian bug, :D

I was looking around for something to do, and as I already have the dimensions for the KV hull, a JS3 seemed a logical choice. The lower hull will be shop bought, the upper hull will be fairly easy to do, and the turret will be an absolute nightmare to get right I reckon. It's got to be worth a go though! :haha:

HTB1jtcqIXXXXXa5XVXXq6xXFXXXU.jpg

JS3a .png
JS3a .png (33.93 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby midlife306 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:38 pm

You're on a roll Wibbs, good choice
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
midlife306
Staff Sergeant

Postby RobW » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:32 am

Can you create curves and loft a surface in your CAD tool?

RobW
Staff Sergeant

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:59 am

I can create a 2D outline and then extrude that in a circle. The turret isn't round so it will take a bit of inventive creationism to get the shape right. It's all do-able, it just needs the application of the old grey matter. :thumbup:
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby biertje » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 am

Nice project I could get you the turret fils from wot they will do the job I think.

Greetings tim
biertje
Recruit

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:53 am

Hi Wibbly, if I were you I would take Tim up on his offer, he did a great job of getting me the Chieftain turret STL, I still have to print it but I managed to hollow it out and slice it into manageable layers. Great job Tim :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:58 am

biertje wrote:Nice project I could get you the turret fils from wot they will do the job I think.

Greetings tim

If you are happy to do that, I will accept your generous offer. I well remember doing a Chieftain turret, and the time it took to get it right...not helped by the errors in the Tamiya 1/35 model. 8O
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby biertje » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:07 pm

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi Wibbly, if I were you I would take Tim up on his offer, he did a great job of getting me the Chieftain turret STL, I still have to print it but I managed to hollow it out and slice it into manageable layers. Great job Tim :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Thanks mate :thumbup:

wibblywobbly wrote:
biertje wrote:Nice project I could get you the turret fils from wot they will do the job I think.

Greetings tim

If you are happy to do that, I will accept your generous offer. I well remember doing a Chieftain turret, and the time it took to get it right...not helped by the errors in the Tamiya 1/35 model. 8O

I knew you would so I already started work on the file. howe stried down do you want the turret?
This is what I have now. should I take off any of the parts?

Greetings tim
biertje
Recruit

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:26 pm

You read my mind? :D

Ok, that looks good. I can hollow it out by creating a second file at 98% scale and removing it from the original. If it needs any post printing work I can sort it out with Milliput and sanding.

If you can add it to the downloads section (the link is in the menu bar at the top of the screen) I can pick it up from there. That way, anyone else who would like one can download it as well.

You are a star Tim.
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby biertje » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:01 pm

wibblywobbly wrote:You read my mind? :D

Ok, that looks good. I can hollow it out by creating a second file at 98% scale and removing it from the original. If it needs any post printing work I can sort it out with Milliput and sanding.

If you can add it to the downloads section (the link is in the menu bar at the top of the screen) I can pick it up from there. That way, anyone else who would like one can download it as well.

You are a star Tim.

The program I juice has a make hollow function so that's already sorted out ;)
Ill try to get it in the download section.

Just be happy I have a very hard job (pressing a green button) so I have time to make these fils :shh:

Greetings tim
biertje
Recruit

Postby biertje » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm

It is up
You will need the top one I forgot to remove one part on the first try
biertje
Recruit

Postby AlwynTurner » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi Tim, I hope that button doesn't have a 'LAUNCH' label next to it :haha: :haha:

AlwynTurner
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Seems to be ok. I ran it through Netfabb to remove any mesh issues, and then shrank it to 90% to get the right turret base width. I will need to measure the height and length and tweak those.
Many thanks Tim, you have saved me days of playing around. :clap:
Attachments
cura turret.png
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby biertje » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:18 pm

AlwynTurner wrote:Hi Tim, I hope that button doesn't have a 'LAUNCH' label next to it :haha: :haha:

Well sort of ;)

wibblywobbly wrote:Seems to be ok. I ran it through Netfabb to remove any mesh issues, and then shrank it to 90% to get the right turret base width. I will need to measure the height and length and tweak those.
Many thanks Tim, you have saved me days of playing around. :clap:

No problem. I guess you need the gun mantled too?

Greetings tim
biertje
Recruit

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Well it would be useful...I am now beginning to feel lazy!!

I have tried smoothing the turret surfaces in Blender, but the object is so large and complex that my poor PC is simply freezing up rather than complete the process... 8O
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Managed to get Blender to smooth the mesh down. This is as smooth as I dare go. You can see the difference between them.
Attachments
blender turret.png
original.png
original.png (96.72 KiB) Viewed 921 times
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Tim a small favour to ask.

It wouldn't have shown up when you processed it, but after putting the turret through Netfabb and Blender, then importing it into Openscad, and then loading it into Cura, I can see that the roof has missed a bit.

There is no material in the raised section under the hatches, so that they are suspended in mid air, eg attached to the shell by the hinges.

In case anyone else wants to download the stl file, is there a way to put a thicker roof under the hatches so that there is enough mesh there to render and print? I can do it in Openscad by placing a sheet under there, but others may not know how to do that.
Attachments
hatches.png
hatches.png (24.43 KiB) Viewed 912 times
gap.png
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby biertje » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm not sure if ill be able to fix that, but ill have a look.

Greetings tim
biertje
Recruit

Postby wibblywobbly » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:36 pm

It seems as though the wall thickness on the upper half and roof is thinner for some odd reason, if you can do a version that is not hollowed out I can hollow it out leaving strength where it is needed.

One thing I have discovered is that the mesh that your model produces is different to the mesh that Openscad uses, and that it is impossible to merge two structures that have different mesh types within Openscad...ho hum...
wibblywobbly
Major

Postby biertje » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 am

Hi

Not sure what you are doing to all my poor little stl fils, but i don´t have that hole in the top of the turret wean i slice it in my slicer.
I also put up the solid file.

Greeting tim
biertje
Recruit

Next

Return to Other Builds