HL/Taigen Pzkpfw-IV ausf H/J

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

HL/Taigen Pzkpfw-IV ausf H/J

Post by Arnie_DK »

I have had this project sitting on a shelf for way too long now!

I was actually pretty close to compleeting this one, but I was never really happy with how it turned out, so I decided to take a step back and re-do it a bit.

Originally I wanted to see how much detailing I could do to this within reason (I'm no rivet counter, but wanted something more than just a quick makeover).

From the start I removed all the molded on tools and filed down the treadplates. I then got some styrene treadplate in roughly the correct scale and put that in. Made some new clasps for the tools, to make them look more right.
I also tried out some of asiatams metal roadwheels and idler/sprockets and after a few replacement parts here and there because of very bad casts(seriously, dont get that Asiatam crap!) I ended up with something that worked!
Also, I wanted this to have Schürzen since I always like the look of these and took the cheap route with Aluminium plates(another mistake).

After some decent time of work I ended up with something that would work, but I wasnt really happy. Mostly because the aluminium is a *Bleep* to solder and I ended up using superglue and epoxy. Didnt really hold up and it just didnt look right.

Then came the new Pz-IV from Taigen and my attention shifted to that one and I put this one on hold.

Now, after seeing how quickly Herman made up some Schürzen for a Pz-IV I decided to go back to this one and more or less re-do most of it. I also decided to try and lower the turret basket, to a more correct position.
Did think about doing the sloped engine compartment as well, but this detail never really bothered me, so I'm not gonna do it. Maybe another time...

So here you can see how it started out:

So yeah. I was pretty close :P

But now, I got my hands on some 0,4mm Brass sheets and boy its a dream to solder those things! (I'm still pretty new to soldering so its a brand new world for me :D )

Overall it all looks more right to me. Also added an air filter, made a more correct commanders hatch from an old Tiger hatch I had laying around and repositioned the antenna to the back.
Bear in mind that the plates are temporary. I got tired of eyeing it all and got the plastik schürzen set from rctank.de to have kindof a "stensill" to use when building my own ;)

I have no idea if this will end out as an Asuf H or J, you tell me ;)
But have I missed anything vital, that I should consider adding/removing/changing? Please let me know :)

Again. I'm no rivet counter, but I do like good looking details :)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: HL/Taigen Pzkpfw-IV ausf H/J

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Nice little pictorial trip through your enhancements, Arnie. It's a fair bit of work, but how about the rear engine deck slope? :think: Mind you, with lower schurzen fitted, that error is practically nullified. ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Re: HL/Taigen Pzkpfw-IV ausf H/J

Post by Arnie_DK »

Its been quite a journey so far!
And I agree. You dont notice the engine deck, unless I loose one of the schurzen plates.

Return to “Other Builds”