An interesting commission - KV220

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: An interesting commission - KV220

Post by AlwynTurner »

Making progress on the turret, designed the barrel pivot to model the HL BB gun mount.

and installed some of the turret roof furniture

Next on the list is the little machine gun turret and the rear ammo loading hatch, the gun mantlet, and the engine bay air inlets and the engine inspection hatch. Phew! :crazy:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Maestro hasn't lost his touch!. 3-D printing certainly can make the engineering of solutions to knotty problems so much easier, Alwyn. This is yet another reminder of how I need to connect mine printer up and get to know it.. :think:
Very accomplished work, as ever, Alwyn :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well that's the mantlet sorted, quite a tricky job! :crazy:

It still needs the milliput treatment along with parts of the turret but at least it's progress

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Progress with the rear deck and the turret

More work to do on the machine gun mini-turret and then milliput time

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Coming along in leaps and bounds Alwyn, it's an impressive beast already. That 85 looks decidedly undersized in that monster turret, though. ;)

The commander's cupola is an interesting shape, are there optics or something in the flat front face?
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The cupola is actually a machine gun turret, there is a periscope (yet to be added) for aiming, plus some vents also to go on - interestingly there is no hatch in the mini turret. I'll add some more photos later as it's progressed a bit. The gun is just a piece of styrene tube as I'm awaiting a proper 85mm barrel.

AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

I've looked around and can't find an 85mm barrel to fit, so I printed my own and reinforced it with 4mm brass tube so job done.
Finished the milliput on the machine gun cupola, and printed the missing headlight

I also fitted the elevation motor but you can't see that obviously. Just have milliput work to do on the front of the turret and mantlet, and then the turret motor to fit, then wire everything up and test it.

stug 85
Corporal

Post by stug 85 »

Did George not tell you i have a spare 85 barrel for him?
I have also tracked down a set of tracks I'm just looking for another set
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

this is so great to follow . It seems you are building lego, it al goes together so well :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Max, thanks for the good words, it might look like lego but there is an awful lot of design/redesign/print/reprint behind the scenes :crazy: :haha:

It is coming together pretty well though for a prototype tank of which only one was built and there's very little in the way of photos/descriptions, but on the other side at least it gives me some scope for artistic interpretation :D :haha:

Return to “Other Builds”