Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

My next project will be the building of the Vandra RAM II Early model Sherman conversion.

The RAM II was a Canadian tank built in Montreal during the war. It was based on the M3 chassis and given a rotating turret with a 6pd gun. About 2000 were build but were replaced with mainstream Shermans before combat started in Europe. They are known as the M4A5 by the Americans. They were used for training and later for the RAM Kangaroo APC.

Ok, its not a pretty tank but its unique and available. Plus the machine gun on the lower turret will be interesting to operate.

The current plan for the build is to have the following features;
- Vandra Ram II resin conversion kit
- Heng Long Sherman Chassis and PZ III gearbox (planned)
- Clark TK-22 (M4) controller card (new thing for me), hooked to my new Flysky remote.
- Mato T74 metal tracks/sprocket
- M3 suspension
- Clark recoil for main gun, with flasher (also new for me)
- Rotating lower machine gun turret using servo, with flasher
- Mato Sherman headlights (modified)
- Hatches will open manually

I will have the help of a couple of books, and also my old Verlinden 1/35 Ram II that I built 30 years ago and still have. The shape and dimensions look good compared to references so It will be handy.
Verlinden RAM II
Verlinden RAM II
Verlinden RAM II
Verlinden RAM II
Here are the Vandra kit main parts. I am used to build their conversion kit so I know what I am getting into. They are not too expensive but require a lot of effort to make them complete and accurate. But with references, basic skills and patience, they can be turned into great and unique models.
Vandra Ram II conversion kit
The kit is coming with black plastic and resin conversion parts for the M3 suspension. After my experience with the Shapeways M3 suspension, I know that a lot of work is required to make the suspension look good and solid. I am planning to use these parts but they are unlikely to remain as they are once I am done with them. I am also unsure whether the resin connector for the rollers will support metal tracks or remain in place with glue. I'll see.
Having built other Vandra kit, I recognise many parts such as the 3 part transmission over, air filter, engine hatch,
It does not take long to notice that something is definitely wrong with the upper hull. According to my calculating, it is 10mm too high, yes one whole centimeter... The lower deck for the machine gun turret is at the right height, its the rest which is too high or going down too low. So, the plan is to butcher the kit and make it accurate the best I can. I think i have identified most of the corrective measures. They involve cutting the main hull horizontally in two locations (different between front and back) and remove the required millimeters, glue the thing back together, use the dremel to rebuild the joints, shape and redo the cast finish with putty. We can call this plastic surgery... Cutting tanks in half does not scare me. The resin is quite thick so I should be able to make the whole operation seamless. This will be a special ops that will require additional planning. The machine gun turret, front bins and side doors that are equally too high will be adjustment accordingly, turret at the top, doors in two places, bins at the bottom. The ring for the machine gun turret also need to be reduce by 1mm. SImple... well, that's the plan at this time. I am telling you Dean, this will be a nice looking Ram.
As for the main turret, it is at least 7mm too high. So, the plan is to remove the shaded area at the bottom of the top part (easy), and then glue to the turret base. It should then have the right height. As for the gun mantlet, it is strangely exactly at the right height and should fit the lowered turret more accurately. This is good news because cutting the mantlet would have been difficult.
Some bump at the rear deck needs to be removed. I have not seen this in references.
The kit came with two half figures which look good.
All measurements and corrective actions will be detailed more accurately in following steps. I question myself why Vandra does not use a ruler in their measurements. Maybe the extra mm in height are required because of some reason that i am about to find out (gearbox height, HL chassis fit, gun elevation ??), we'll see.

For now, let's enjoy Christmas with family.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Regards, Louis
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Re: Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi I wish you all the best in your build and just wish these conversion kits was around when I scratch built my Kangaroo from photo's. That second machine gun turret was a bugger to make and the offset recess in the upper hull also.
Look forward to seeing the build. :clap:
DSCF2206.JPG
I based mine on a Mato lower and then scratch built the upper.
opp's you said get off the road
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Look forward to this - a friend of mine is restoring a Roo.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

This will be quite interesting to see built. Such a unique piece of armour. With your custom touches Louis it should be a stellar job and another intriguing build.

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

First, a short post on references being used, other than the web of course. Books on the Ram tank are rare.

Canadian armor in detail. Great book on Canadian WW2 Ram, Sexton and Grizzly tanks with pictures in color.
Canadian armor in detail
Canadian armor in detail
AFV no 13, Ram and Sexton
AFV no 13, Ram and Sexton
The Ram, by Paul Roberts, Canada Weapons of war series. Good book with black and white pictures, one graph page with 1/35 scale plan that confirmed the Verlinden measurements.
The Ram
The Ram
The Ram
The Ram
And the old AFV publication no 13 on the Ram and Sexton

Regards, Louis
The Ram
The Ram
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

As usual for a Sherman hull mounted with a 3 piece transmission cover, the transmission side covers need to be removed, and the gearbox and the plastic front section has to be grinded in order for the resin part to fit correctly.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
The idea here is to lower the front of the upper hull as much as possible. I made it flush with the lower deck. In order to know exactly how much and where to remove resin material on the upper hull to fix its shape, the first thing is to make sure the base is set.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
If you install the front part as it is, the upper hull will be like 3mm in the air. So, I completely removed the molded in slot, giving the result that you see above..
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
That little plate of the left needs a lot of work to be properly placed, the transmission cover needed a lot of sanding. See reference pictures on previous post.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
After sanding, the transmission side covers are put back but further up front than before, requiring the hole for the shaft to be extended rearward.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
Before determining the placement of the upper hull on the chassis, it is important to notice how much space is available in the back for the air filters. I always found the Vandra air filters to be oversized. I found in my spare box old Mato plastic air filters from an M4A1 that are smaller and seem of a more appropriate scale. I will use these instead.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
Here is time to take care of the hull. My god, I never imagined it would be that bad. As mentioned before, it is 1 centimeter too high, and on top of it, it is not flat. So, major surgery is required to fix this. I have decided to Go for Broke on this one in an attempt to make it right. I am Not building a tank that looks like an humpback whale.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
What a sorry looking tank. The shaded areas is where I will make incisions with the Dremel and slowly reduce the height, including taking care of the angle of the turret ring.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
I will remove 7.5mm from the middle, and another 2.5 at the bottom to make it flush with the chassis. The top of the front hull will also get some Dremel treatment.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
The front hatch section need to go down as a whole.
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
1/16 Vandra Ram Tank
Ok, It's Dremel time. The next time you see it, it will either look like a Ram tank, or it is going to be in the garbage.

Regards, Louis
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

It would seem that this is a very poor kit. A shame it is so inaccurate.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Unfortunately it looks like a reprise of the Vandra M7 Priest kit which was also inaccurate. It is a crying shame that a company that goes to all the trouble of making a kit can't seem to get the mouldings accurate, all it takes is a bit of research and testing. Instead Louis has to go to all the trouble of remaking the kit which is probably as much effort as a complete scratch build. 8O :'(

I hope your patience lasts out Louis.... :crazy:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi, thank you Alwyn for your encouragements.

Here is a quick surgery update on the Ram.

Here the cutting process has started. To keep resin dust away, the heavy lifting was done outside in -24C (-10F) winter weather, which did not make it very pleasant.
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
I earlier decided to use the Sherman Gearbox instead of the lower Panzer III. I have determined it is just ok. I hope I will not regret it later.
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Dry fitting of the various components.
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Looks better already.
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Man, it is starting to look like a Ram tank.
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Next big tasks are; try to get another mm, lower top front section a bit with a light slope forward, fine tuning everything, gluing parts at the remaining joints, reinforcement and plugging of the gaps with plasticard, reshaping the joints, filling with putty, redoing the cast effect.
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
Vandra 1/16 Ram Tank
It is definitely not going into the garbage. I think it will be a good looking Ram.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Brilliant surgical procedures Mr Louis! I'm very impressed (as usual) and am following very closely with every precision cut

I thought it was cold here +7F, I applaud your courage to subject yourself to the elements to make such fine progress.

Hope you haven't lost any appendages

Keep it up!
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”