Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Vandra Ram II Canadian Sherman conversion - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

c.rainford73 wrote:Are you using servo recoil and flash ? Turret rotation via the Heng Long unit and do you have room for elevation ?
'
Hi Carl, yes, it will have a Clark recoil and flash (still in the mail), with Heng Long rotation and gun elevation attached to Clark TK-22. I have decided to spend a bit more on electronics on this one. The fact that the Ram was built in my home town during the war may have something to do with it.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Like an artist every piece tells a story about it's designer and subject matter.

I own many Clark products, once you figure them out they are reliable and really let you enjoy your model.

Watching closely
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

This is the electronic and gear installation for the turret.

The turret is quite deep into the top of the upper hull and the only way the dents of the HL rotation unit could reach the turret ring is by placing the rotation unit at this angle, on the back side.
Vandra 1/16 scale RAM II tank
Vandra 1/16 scale RAM II tank
The Clark Model 16011 universal recoil is quite simple to assemble. I was happy to see that all the parts are cleaned up, just need some sanding.
Clark universal recoil 16011
The Clark recoil unit fits well into the Vandra gun mount without any adjustments. The recoil unit is a bit too long though and minor surgery to the unit and turret bottom is required for the gun to elevate without being blocked by the turret ring. The elevation unit base that Vandra molded on the turret roof need to be removed so that the elevation unit is properly aligned with the clark elevation slot.
I removed about 1cm of the Clark unit at the end of it, it does not impact the recoil operation at all.
Elevation unit is installed on the left of the recoil unit, but new mountings need to be created.
I wonder why everyone of my models are always so cramped inside... Its tight but it fits. The elevation unit is a bit high and I needed to remove some of the resin material molded on the inside of the turret bottom to make room.
I also needed to relocate one of the screw to fit the dented ring in place. The whole installation was quite simple, taking 3 hours of work end to end.
Here is a YOUTUBE video of the very first test run of the turret electronic. At this point, the gun is not yet glued to the recoil unit and i can see i have some fine tuning to do so that the elevation is smoother. But its is already a pretty good thing that the integration worked without major issue.

https://youtu.be/FHjiMVk5VAo

Next to install is the gun flash. Still did not receive the Aber .30 cal machine guns that i ordered.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Loving the electronics you've added. So cool my friend
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I really like these Clark recoil and elevation units. I guess to save space you could have had servo elevation.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

These are the head lamps and guards, both totally different than on a Sherman.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
I had difficulty finding references on them. Research is complicated by the fact that there is no surviving Ram tank that still have these intact. We're left with some blurry wartime pictures to interpret and no measurements available. I saw 2 Kangaroos that have them but they show a different installation, one Kangaroo has the guards strait up at 90 degrees, the other one showing it inclined. Modellers need to be careful when using restored vehicle as reference, the restoration may or may not be accurate, which one is... or maybe there were many arrangements... I decided to put them inclined as it seems to make more sense that obstacles would slide over them instead of crushing head on.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
The solid resin Vandra head lamp parts were drilled and a 3mm white LED was inserted inside. I wish they were in metal but I left enough resin so it is not too trans lucid.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
I will need to put a metal plate in front of this one to mimic the light only going through the slot.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Here is an open hood view, nothing special here. You can see a Clark TK-22, flash and recoil units, Flysky IA10B 10 channel receiver, HL gears, smoker, rotation, speaker. It's plug and play stuff, nothing complicated and really nothing to brag about, but they work fine. And I like to keep the noise down so no huge speaker or sound system for me.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
This is the Clark flasher in action. The Vandra metal gun tube is nice but it was filled with resin inside and it takes quite a while to empty it.
Vandra Ram II tank
Vandra Ram II tank
Shapeways suspension and other items are finally on their way. Next step is the M3 style suspension. Just a few months after the M7 experience, I was not looking for it again so soon, but now I am experienced.

Regards,
Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Finally, my Shapeways shipment has arrived and the build can continue with the suspension. In similar ways as my M7 Priest build, the exact same steps are taken, but I am more experienced this time and it goes methodically and smoothly, a 5 hour operation end to end.

Dremel time, the HL part are trimmed and prepared for the conversion.
Shapeways M3 style suspension
Notice the position of the cut. As per my experience with the M7 where I needed to rework all my suspension, if you make the cut too high, the suspension will be too high and won't look good, specially if the sprocket and idler cannot be raised to be at the same level as the suspension.
The Shapeways spring housing are too large and need to be reduced in size, otherwise it won't look authentic.
The spring housings were cut with a metal saw (not the blade) and will then be sanded up to the middle of the small hole that you above, a significant reduction. Notice also that the center of the Shapeways part was made hollowed using a small Dremel drum sander.
Now at the assembly step. there are surprisingly a lot of parts. Notice that you need to make 6 shafts for the rollers out of a 6mm brass tube. You can see the result further below. Brass are better for these than plastic tube. Order your 6mm brass tube well in advance because they are difficult to find but can be ordered from China very cheaply, but it takes time.
The suspension spring needs to be lowered and a plasticard part inserted and glued at the bottom under the spring so that the spring does not come up to annoy the roller. I did not see this impacting the operation of the suspension.
The Shapeways main part is glued on top, the fit is good.
The fake spring parts are trimmed because they were interfering with the suspension spring, and then glued into their housing as shown. They are then ready to be installed back on the bogies.
The early M3 style suspension is ready to be applied putty and given a good polish before installation on the chassis. The plug for the middle hole will as usually be a long task to make smooth and seamless.
Having an M3 suspension is important to me. I think the Shapeways parts are worth the expense but require a lot of dirty work and you might cut a finger or two in the process. However, they are made of strong plastic, they can be modified to look relatively good and they do not break apart by squeezing them like the parts Vandra originally provided.

Regards, Louis
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Wow, that's dedication for you!!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That sure is dedication alright !!...................certainly not for the faint-hearted
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Thank you but it is not that complicated. It just take a few hours and a couple of cut fingers.

Doing that double Browning .30 MG mount below will be more challenging.
Double Browning gun mount.
Capture2.JPG (58.01 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
I read that it was an experimental mount for the RAM and not seen in the field but it is very tempting to try to recreate it. I am not sure yet. If I do, i will need to model that specific vehicle, which closely matches the one I am building, with a few adjustments.
Capture1.JPG (44.48 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
In preparation for this, I ordered these .30 cal MG gems from Shapeways.
Shapeways Browning .30 MG
Shapeways Browning .30 MG
These Shapeways fire extinguishers were part of the shipment. They will go on the hull.
Shapeways fire extinguishers
Shapeways fire extinguishers
Regards, Louis

Return to “Other Builds”