• Advertisement
Ludwigs

Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm

While I'm waiting for bits to take my Tamiya Pz IV project further, I still have the old Asiatam rolling Pz IV hull lurking in my back room. Every time I walk past it, it somehow looks peeved and disgruntled. Well, that's how I felt when I had to saw almost a centimetre off its alloy rear end, and rework all the fittings that arrived with it. I have a Heng Long airsoft upper for it, and it was my intention to use that somewhere in the not-so-distant future. :yawn:
But the lustre left that project long ago until, that is, I saw this thread on RCU today: :)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tank ... build.html

It's a detailed thread, and well worth perusing if you have nothing better to do. :thumbup:
For me, though, it offered a departure from my normal turreted tank direction. So....I went and ordered the kit from Asiatam. Yes..I must be a glutton for punishment, considering my past experience with Mr Tams' Pz IV product, and considering the pasting I gave the firm too.
In any event, on the face of it..it doesn't look as though I'll need to rejig the whole thing, and it's 90% plastic anyway...should any mods be needed. It looks from the search feature here that the StuG IV had been largely overlooked, as all references seem to point to the StuG 111 being the favourite model, and so a build might inspire others. :think: Maybe not. Christmas is looming large on the horizon, and bank balances are probably tipping into the red already :D
https://www.asiatam.de/product_info.php ... ihj0slk244
Asiatam Stug IV hull coversion kit.jpg
Asiatam StuG IV upper hull conversions kit
43rdRecceReg
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Very interesting build. I expect yours will look fantastic
c.rainford73
Lieutenant

Postby PainlessWolf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 pm

Good morning, 43rdR&R,
The Profiline Resin kits can be a lot of work but the results are well worth it. I would not have a 1/16 early RC StuG Ausf III B with out one of them.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Cabinet lighting.JPG
The metal suspension and tracks eat up the bracken like nobody's business..JPG
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Estnische » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Can't wait to see what you do Roy. I've been ivestiagting Stugs, and I can't believe how much fruit is out there in the aftermarket bits for the III.

Let me know if anyone does a 1/16 Fu radio?
Estnische
Corporal

Postby silversurfer1947 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 pm

There's a Fu2 and FU5 set available on Shapeways. If you look at my Nashorn thread, Louis posted a link. I shall have some photos up tomorrow.
silversurfer1947

Postby B_Man » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm

Good luck with the build. AsiaTam has some nice products but in my experience their quality control leaves a lot to be desired. Either way it will be an interesting build to follow and might spur me on to starting the jagdpanzer IV conversion kit I have tucked away in my workshop.
B_Man
Lance Corporal

Postby lmcq11 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:05 am

Hi,

Building this conversion kit is challenging for sure. Every part was a puzzle to put on, potential for improvements unlimited. My kind of modelling project. Have fun.

Regards, Louis

rsz_1img_0798.jpg
Asiatam Stug Iv

lmcq11
Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:18 am

PainlessWolf wrote:Good morning, 43rdR&R,
The Profiline Resin kits can be a lot of work but the results are well worth it. I would not have a 1/16 early RC StuG Ausf III B with out one of them.
regards,
Painless

A worthy kit done justice to with a worthy build, Painless; but then I'd expect to see nothing less in your Colorado tank domain. :thumbup: :D Currently, I've not had any dealings with the Pz 111 as my current drug is the IV..but in time
I may get a different prescription :D
The Pz 111 is well served with aftermarket kits, but they're a tad scarce for the IV. I saw Chris Ludwig's Jagdpanzer IV kit, and mulled that over. In the end, I didn't fancy major alterations to the front of the Asiatam hull, especially after the surgery at the posterior end :problem: Then there's the challenge of having to raise the front sprockets. That's a potential world of pain.. :lolno: I will check Profiline out, though.
43rdRecceReg

Postby Estnische » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:21 am

Thanks Richard
Estnische
Corporal

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23 am

Estnische wrote:Can't wait to see what you do Roy. I've been ivestiagting Stugs, and I can't believe how much fruit is out there in the aftermarket bits for the III.

Let me know if anyone does a 1/16 Fu radio?

It won't be until well into the New Year, Estniche. I have the Christmas break to deal with first (Family visits etc., and woeful excess..); then the Tamiya IV; but at least I'll have most of the bits I need to hand.
Yes, The Panzer 111 is ripe for alteration, given available aftermarket parts; the Pz IV less so. :problem:
43rdRecceReg

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:30 am

Thanks, Richard for the useful tip, as ever...
and to B Man for the well- warranted pessimism :lolno: I agree that while Asiatam products tick many boxes in terms of conception, enterprise, and look; the quality control is frustratingly lacking. Hmm....
I'd better watch what I write here, as Mr Tam might well read this.... and I'm depending on him to supply the kit I've just paid for.... :shifty:
43rdRecceReg

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:43 am

lmcq11 wrote:Hi,

Building this conversion kit is challenging for sure. Every part was a puzzle to put on, potential for improvements unlimited. My kind of modelling project. Have fun.

Regards, Louis

rsz_1img_0798.jpg

Thanks for the timely reminder of what can be done with a StuG IV conversion, Louis.. :sick: :D I don't think that I could ever hope to match your standard of finish; but I shall have a go at producing a model that looks a little plausible in the right setting. (...The Bin... :haha: ). The technique you use, and have described in the past, would demand more patience than I could even muster. Then there's the general artistry. I have some Tamiya weathering products I' ll experiment with, and add them to my (limited) repertoire of finishing tricks, and hope that will suffice to make a model worthy of closer inspection. It's the build part that I enjoy most, however, not the painting.
In any event, it's going to be a while before i can begin. I just wanted to invite some thoughts on the kit, and on this particular version of the Panzer IV..as it doesn't seem to be discussed here very often. :)
43rdRecceReg

Postby PainlessWolf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 am

43rdR&R,
Evenin' Doc! My only intent was to get you a little hungry for what could be done with a resin kit and some patience. Louis did it better with his shot of his JagdPz IV. Have fun and I will be sure to be following along! ;o)
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby Estnische » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:59 am

Good-o Roy.

If one were to plan ahead to a time when one's other projects were finished, one might build a Stug with opening hatches, including the loaders position, where a radio might be visible. But for $38 USD, I might make a roughie from plastic scraps.

Stugradio2.jpg

Stugradio3.jpg
Stugradio3.jpg (64.48 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Estnische
Corporal

Return to Other Builds