Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Asiatam StuG IV conversion kit...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's the fit at the front with a little help from a clamp:
StuG IV front with with clamp support
StuG IV front with with clamp support
..while the fit at the back is pretty good, and a testament to my surgical skills :/ :/ :D Just imagine another 10mm or so of alloy hull sticking out the back..like unwanted booty'..and you'll understand why such drastic surgery was needed. :problem:
Asiatm StuG IV -view of rear fit
Asiatm StuG IV -view of rear fit
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Now, while I could compensate for the Tank's turned up nose with a few concealed brackets and screws, it's not a satisfactory outcome. It's bad enough having to fill all those yawing gaps in the bodywork up with Milliput, or Vallejo Putty.
So the only thing for it is permanent orthopaedic traction. The means bonding some stiffeners (straighteners) in with epoxy, to keep the wayward front attached to the front panel.
Asiatam StuG IV- orthopaedic traction pic A
Asiatam StuG IV- orthopaedic traction pic A
Asiatm StuG IV- orthopaedic traction pic B
Asiatm StuG IV- orthopaedic traction pic B
I'm going to leave the Epoxy to cure for 24 hours. Then I hope it won't requite further intervention...
There should be plenty of clearance between the alloy braces (off a Tiger I) and the tracks.
The thing about Asiatam products is that they look the part- from a distance...and it's a distance you should keep from buying them >:< :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Jumping between projects?? Cardinal sin!

Good start. I fancy an early stug at some point.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Jumping between projects? Cardinal Sin gives his blessing!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (21.43 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
Can't imagine how that lower chassis was that much too long?!? I'm breaking out the popcorn Roy.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Jumping between projects?? Cardinal sin!

Good start. I fancy an early stug at some point.
:D Sometimes this hobby reminds one those so called early TV entertainers who used to spin dinner plates on sticks....always running from one to the other to keep the momentum up, and the one that was overlooked from crashing to the ground.. :wave:
There the analogy ends, because I'd always hoped to see the plate juggler trip and crack up the crockery. ;)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Jumping between projects? Cardinal Sin gives his blessing!
image.jpeg
Can't imagine how that lower chassis was that much too long?!? I'm breaking out the popcorn Roy.
.." let he who is without Sin cast the first....er..6mm BB ?"

Here's the thread where I eventually sawed the Asiatam's posterior off. In later threads where Arnie DK and KT Robb built StuGs on the same Asiatam platform, they acknowledged that it's posterior was indeed a tad pert and proud (but not in a good way) ;)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21059&p=190895&hili ... ll#p190895
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, here's the result of the traction treatment. The aluminium stiffener has reduced the frontal snubbed nose look to a minimum. With Tamiya style hull attachment points fitted at the front, it should disappear completely. :think:
StuG IV given a bit of British backbone...
StuG IV given a bit of British backbone...
Now I need some pics to work with..a sort of artists' model (except I'm no artist ;) ):
I like this monochrome shot of an abandoned StuG IV:
StuG IV  No 115- abandoned
StuG IV No 115- abandoned
StuG IV - No 115- abandoned.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
and this for detail- especially the angled engine deck this model has got entirely wrong :thumbdown:
StuG IV early model in blueprint form
StuG IV early model in blueprint form
That rear deck has got an appointment with my saw in the near future :-< :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just look at the differences in the ventilation louvres too.. :O
Stug IV louvres
Stug IV louvres
and Mr Tam's somewhat fanciful interpretation :-
(note: 'Tam' is actually part of Asiatam's CEO's name, and not to be confused with a shorter form of 'Tamiya'. Mr Tam's models are short on Tamiya's details, as much as his surname is on Tamiya :haha:
Sorry for that. "At least he's out there trying", you might say. Yes, I grant you that, but his products are very trying... ;)

The Tam version has one too many divisions, and all divisions are spaced regularly; where they're irregular on the real thing. Yes, they can be blanked off with hinged covers, but he still has one too many, and they're too symmetrical.
In addition, just look at the gaps I'm going to have to fill with Milliput, or VJ Putty 8O
Time for a cuppa..
Attachments
Asiatam version of StuG IV louvres
Asiatam version of StuG IV louvres
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Whether it is reality or optical illusion, comparing your upper hull to the photo, do your track guards kick upwards at the end? They rather remind me of skis. P'raps the hinged parts could be adjusted?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Whether it is reality or optical illusion, comparing your upper hull to the photo, do your track guards kick upwards at the end? They rather remind me of skis. P'raps the hinged parts could be adjusted?
If you compare it with the blueprint above, Estniche, I don't think there's a world of difference. Do remember, moreover, that I'm working with Asiatam parts here..and that's a world of pain and inexactitude. :|
Also bear in mind that the hull's just sitting there unattached..and unstressed. Eventually, it will be fixed to the lower hull by a means as yet to be devised; but it could be magnetic. :think:
Illusion and reality? I think we'll keep Metaphysics out of the thread, but suffice to say that you're all a figment of my imagination- as is the phenomenological World- especially after a Friday might slurp :haha:
Nah, I never did like Bishop Berkeley's ideas..
'Hinged parts".. are only theoretical at this stage, unless you're seeing things I'm not.. :haha: However, I might well add some bespoke hinges to the mudguards later.. :think:

Return to “Other Builds”