SdKfz 164 Nashorn by Alwyn Turner

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: SdKfz 164 Nashorn by Alwyn Turner

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Yes, that's me. The addiction treatment failed miserably!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Back in the UK but not at home, so I can't do any work but I have been thinking about the crew. I would be grateful for any info about their uniforms. So far all I have got from my research is 'it depends'.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Back in the UK but not at home, so I can't do any work but I have been thinking about the crew. I would be grateful for any info about their uniforms. So far all I have got from my research is 'it depends'.
When you find out let me know!!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Nashorn Crew Uniforms
Trawling through Google results, this is what I have from different sources.

1. Nuts & Bolts vol 14: "Nashorn" - The crews wore mixed uniforms. Field grey assault gun uniforms, two piece green denim panzer uniforms, black panzer uniform jackets with field grey trousers, reversible winter uniforms. The piping would be pink.

2. The late war Panzerjäger units used a wide mix of uniforms most common black Panzer wraps and fieldgrey assault gun wraps and/or combinations.
The Waffenfarbe was pink.

3. Towed AT and tank destroyer units wore the Sturmartellerie uniform with rose pink piped collar tabs on a field gray base.

SP units in a Panzer- or Panzergrenadier-Divisionen wore black Panzer uniforms with rose pink piped Totenkopf collar tabs on a black base.

SP units in a Infantrie-,Jäger-, or Gebirgsjäger-Divisionen wore the Sturmartillerie uniform with collar tabs as the Towed AT and tank destroyer units.

Armee- or Korps- level troops wore the Sturmartillerie uniform with rose pink piped Totenkopf collar tabs on a field gray base except for units equipped with the Elefant who wore black Panzer uniforms with the rose pink piped Totenkopf collar tabs on a black background.

There was a variegated mix of uniforms and collar patches worn before this was "officially" laid out in May, 1944. But units and personnel were still forced to wear what they could due to supply issues before and after this date.

4. Wikipedia - Panzerjäger (German "armour-hunters" or "tank-hunters", abbreviated to Pz.Jg. in German) was a branch of service of the Wehrmacht during the Second World War. It was an anti-tank arm-of-service that operated anti-tank artillery, and made exclusive use of the tank destroyers, which were also named Panzerjäger. Personnel wore ordinary field-gray uniforms rather than the black of the Panzer troops; however, those Panzerjäger troops who crewed the tank-destroyers wore the Panzer jacket in field gray.

So the answer still seems to be - it depends! As I said, if anyone else can come up with further information, it would be much appreciated.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I've got a little more done. This is what the radio station now looks like - pretty much complete until I attach the aerial wire, which raises an interesting question. I was thinking the aerial was fitted to the vehicle at the right rear, but the book I bought on all the line drawings shows it front right, level with the pivot for the first bogie.
IMG_20171230_153003_resized_20171230_033153197.jpg
I've also attempted to make a frame for a couple of fuel cans, to be fitted to the rear. I do wish my brass work were better, but hopefully it will eventually improve.
IMG_20171230_152811_resized_20171230_033155004.jpg
At least I didn't burn my fingers this time!
Richard
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looks lovely! From my research, I could be wrong but the Nashorns and Hummels I've seen had the antenna on the front when the radio set was mounted in the front left interior and mounted on the rear when the radio cabinet was in the fighting compartment.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Makes sense. I'll stick with right rear. Thanks Carl.
Richard
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Here's an example of a radio set inside the tank that incorporates the front mount antenna on the cup base....

The rest of the radio bits are mounted on the opposite side near the antenna mountImage
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Richard another view and the wiring that disappears under the seat.

This is 1:35 scale just for reference ImageImage
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Here's the layout of the command version (scale upgrade kit) with radio set in the fighting compartment

This is how I setup my Nashorn Image

Return to “Other Builds”