SdKfz 164 Nashorn by Alwyn Turner

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: SdKfz 164 Nashorn by Alwyn Turner

Post by HERMAN BIX »

wibblywobbly wrote:
HERMAN BIX wrote:I jumped off the Panther in Hoffalize's engine deck and just about suffered a prolapse :{

These things are taller than they look.
I recall climbing up onto the Tiger at Vimoutier, Lord knows how the crews managed it in a hurry, there are no hand holds to get a grip on. Only managed it in the end by using the tracks at the front. You are a looong way up in tank, and getting down again was a nightmare. Thank Christ it wasn't raining!
Yip, that one too :/ ...........my Mrs just looked at me in wonder as to why she bothered with the wedding ceremony :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Quite pleased with myself today. I have managed to compete one side of the additional brackets without breaking a single micro-drill. However, it was fiddly and coupled with my innate clumsiness I managed to deposit several of the brackets on the floor where they joined the other bits and pieces in my very own black hole.
IMG_20180223_143751_resized_20180223_023831982.jpg
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Looking great Richard, I have a couple of black holes in my workshop too, maybe we should get Stephen Hawking to come and investigate the phenomenon! :haha: :haha:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Looking excellent Richard top notch work
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I'm lucky with the "black hole" phenomenon.................I build over tiles !!

Those brackets are just perfect Mr Surfer......really makes the canvas top a realistic option.
The ones on my Jagdtiger were for covers used during 'Entraining' and subsequent rail travel to the battle zone.
After that, they were handy loops to use wire strands to attach foliage.

I think you've aced the paint, and the necessary details required to place this build as another benchmark that others can look to for guidance.

One thing to build a tank, quite another to build an open top vehicle with an exposed gun, its workings, and the fighting compartment that supports it.

love it.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

The brackets are now all done. I have also fitted a grab handle to the inside of each door. They featured in quite a few of the photos - possibly a field modification to help with hoisting yourself up into the cockpit.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

This is a top notch build Richard, if you had a museum background in the pics your paint job would make it look completely real. :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

I've made my own jack block. So far as I can see, it sits on the front right fender. I need to make a clamp for it. I am guessing it would be something like the tiger fixing, but I can not find a suitable picture. I shall be grateful if anyone has such or even better can point me in the direction of an appropriate clamp that would fall within my capabilities to manufacture.
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Scrub that. I've just found the instruction sheet that came with the Aber Tiger PE that I bought way back when I first started this hobby. All I have to do now, is work out how, or more properly, if, I can reproduce this from left over bits. :D
Richard
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

After my deliberations, this is what I finished up with. One very home made jack block, together with a bracket and clamp cobbled together from some left over bits and lengths of PE sprue.
IMG_20180227_133202_resized_20180227_013244069.jpg
Richard

Return to “Other Builds”