Buildreport: Hobby Boss/Taigen Tiger I late

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tiger build planning

Post by c.rainford73 »

I agree that zimmerit looks like the real thing.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

So good I got to know about those Meng Nuts. Thanks Mr tanks_for_the_memory . Those are very cheap, about 5 -insert your currency symbol- for about 800 pieces in total. Best idea is to get all of them and you will have pieces for a lifetime. The splashguard looks the part now and I will use the nuts for the stowage bin rivet heads as well. Meng sells rivet heats, but those are too small for my skill. So I will use the 1.3mm nuts and sand them down a bit. For all those who have missed the HL Mid Tiger build of "tanks_for_the_memory". Have a look the the HL build section. It is fantastic and a wealth of inspiration.
Attachments
rivets.jpg
Splashbar.jpg
Last edited by Soeren on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Meanwhile I tried the Revell colour 36116 Sand Matt, which is in the Academy callout for Sandy Yellow. Well I sprayed it well thinned on a solid black matt basecoat (AK black primer). I wasnt impressed at all. You have to spray it really solid to not make it look blotchy. Then I felt it was much tooo yellow. I had expected more of a beige sand colour. Like on the cover artwork, but it matches the side artwork close to 100%. Im not yet sure though i I want it like that.
Attachments
Cupola (1).jpg
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Soeren wrote:Meanwhile I tried the Revell colour 36116 Sand Matt, which is in the Academy callout for Sandy Yellow. Well I sprayed it well thinned on a solid black matt basecoat (AK black primer). I wasnt impressed at all. You have to spray it really solid to not make it look blotchy. Then I felt it was much tooo yellow. I had expected more of a beige sand colour. Like on the cover artwork, but it matches the side artwork close to 100%. Im not yet sure though i I want it like that.
Soeren will you attempt to paint with a different product?
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Bear in mind too that it will darken & alter once washed and weathered ...............
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

I will try it on the turrets first with camo and wash, filter and oil modulation. If it doesn't work for me, I can still change.

Started adding the optics. Unfortunately the brass mounts, when placed into the cover like shown in the ABER manual, the opticss wont fit in. So I had to pry them freee again and place the optics, then glue it in place again. some gaps have to be filled in then.
Attachments
WP_20171111_12_10_50_Rich.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Sunday morning, time to add the cupola and making of the remaining weld beads. Maybe painting one layer would be needed now to see where the roof and transitions to other parts need some modification. Meanwhile working on the mantlet mount and recoil/elevation unit.
Attachments
Turret roof.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Yesterday, I tried the camo colors that Academy recommends when using Revell Acrylics. Right side you seethe the Revell 3 tone. The brown is too light. It is RAL 8025. I wonder who messed up here, Academy? Left ist the Vallejo RAL 8017, I will stay with that most likely. The Revell green is ok though. I bought the two Vallejo colors from the Academic recommendation, from the model.color and the model.air line. In the bottle they already look very different. Stay tuned for the test sheets tonight.
Attachments
WP_20171112_17_52_04_Rich.jpg
WP_20171112_17_52_04_Rich.jpg (83.12 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
Last edited by Soeren on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Still not finished with the color discussion, I bought the Vallejo paints according to the Academy guide. Left is the Model color for their Sandy yellow, center is what they recommend from the Model Air line and right is what I have taken from the Vallejo conversion chart for 821. I sprayed the paints on either gray or redbrown primed plasticard. Also see the way off Revell test. Also included is the picture from the SCHWEREPANZER thread referring to Dunkelgelb.
Attachments
http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/175682.aspx
http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/175682.aspx
ColorTestlabel.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Todays job is done, doing hte lower lip. One evergreen 3.2x6.3 placed in horizontally and a 1.5x3.5 to make the lower lip and 1x2.5 to make the splash guard. Then the sides filled with Apoxie Sculpt. Some clean up to come as it is all well cured. The mantlet sits now rather tight and wiht nearly no gap when seen from the front. A single oddity though, while in full elevation the top raiming gap is close to completely even, the lower gap in full depression is wider to one side. But as it is on the bottom we will not see it once the turret is mounted.
Once sanded down a bit and bolts added, even the girls from Schwarzwald approve :D

Now I have just to work out how these guys go together
Attachments
Turret lower guard (1).jpg
Turret lower guard (2).jpg
Turret lower guard (3).jpg
Turret lower guard (3).jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 2365 times

Return to “Other Builds”