Buildreport: Hobby Boss/Taigen Tiger I late

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Tiger build planning

Post by c.rainford73 »

Now that's what I call mass production :clap:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

:thumbup:

A bit of Grey wash and Citadel Nuln Oil actually did the trick for me. And as expected, after adding the shield not much is visible anyways.
Attachments
Tiger exhaust.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

And now my take on the hull camo. The detail bits need to be matching the camo now.
Attachments
Hull camo front.jpg
Hull camo back.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hi there,
I finally made up my mind how to weather the hull of the Tiger. A start was made when I found the bottle of AKs Texturizer.

The first attempts turned out too dark with only the pigments added ad there was not enough texture. Adding more and more garden dirt and plaster, it bulked up. Now after three layers it got the texture I liked. The stuff also feels quite resilient to the touch. The stippling application worked well on the big by, was a bit our of scale on the small modell though. It is more difficult to blend when compared to enamel products though.

I will carry on with different products now and see how to work it into the lower hull before starting on the wheels and tracks. I would like to have the lower finished before going on with the top part.

The idea for the weathering is to have encrusted dry earth and dust on this tank.
Attachments
WP_20180422_13_25_16_Rich.jpg
WP_20180422_13_22_14_Rich.jpg
WP_20180422_13_25_07_Rich.jpg
WP_20180422_13_21_42_Rich.jpg
Last edited by Soeren on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

So, next addition as of last evening. I went ahead with enamel paints of the MIG earth effects series. First i sprinkled on some Kursk Soil with plaster. It was really yellowish so I had to add another layer, because my base dirt was more gryish brown. So I took the MIG Earth and added plaster as well as a scoop full of Wilders Europeas road clay, that is a grayish color. It was much darker than the Kursk soil, but layering it up it blends together nicely and after completely dry this morning, I would say those two colors work great together.

One drawback, although the enamel with plaster gives nice texture and is great in blending the colors, it is less resilient compared to the acrylic resin. But, I can now brush the dirt to desired shape and add maybe one or two more layers before fixing this with acrylic varnish.
Attachments
Lower hull weathering 3-4 (1).jpg
Lower hull weathering 3-4 (2).jpg
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Beautiful. The exhausts are stunning.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

"Dirt is the new Black" don't you know !! 8)
Nice effect mate, the pigment and plaster effect sure does work well.
I use diluted PVA glue as the base 'fixer' for my pigments and it is very resilient.

I would say by now you can change the title of this build from 'planning' to something else eh ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren

Re: Buildreport: Tiger I late

Post by Soeren »

Thank you both.

Yeah, I remember that slogan. For the title of the thread, valid point. Changed it right away.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Buildreport: Hobby Boss/Taigen Tiger I late

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I was thinking something a bit more flamboyant!!!
Soerens Super Spectacular Snarling German Tiger 1 !!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren

Re: Buildreport: Hobby Boss/Taigen Tiger I late

Post by Soeren »

Flamboyant eh?

I was thinking of putting all the manufacturer names of the upgrade parts is, like the youngsters do on their pimped cars around here, but nahhhh. That would be a bit long. But interesting now to realize what a lot of aftermarket is actually going into the kit.

But back to the scope of this section. The sprinkled on products gave nice texture but the sprinkles were too circular or ovoid. So I went on with a very stiff brush and scraped towards the recesses on the reinforement bar and some features on the side of the hull. A coars powder of the misxted products was the result. To modulate it a bit, I made a mixture of Wilders European Road Clay and Eorpopean Dark Erath Pigments, added a scoop full of Ammo Migs European Earth and some Vallejo naturtal Sienna for the yellowish tinge. That sprinkled and rubbed in. Fixed Abtl 502 Pigment Fixer. Solid fixing, but left too many tide marks. Actually tide marks should be there, as it is how dirt and humidity works. But not that evident, so again stiff brush and some of the pigments mixture. Now off to the other side and maybe a thinned down coat of some acrylic paint to bind it together. As soon as the wheels and tracks are on, there will be not much of this visible anymore. :shifty:
Attachments
outside Tiger dirt (1).jpg
outside Tiger dirt (2).jpg

Return to “Other Builds”