Panther Gs Detail upgrades

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: Panther Gs Detail upgrades

Post by c.rainford73 »

That looks absolutely fantastic Soeren. A very realistic metallic finish
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

That rolled steel effect is top-notch, Soeren. Is that just Mr Surfacer? How did you apply it?
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey, thank you both. I use Mr Surfacer 1000 and just paint it on in uneven coats. While still wet, I stipl into the surface with a brush. Then some light surface sanding. And repeat this as often as I feel need. I did this also to the styrene sheet above the mantle because that was too even to my liking. But only once. That gave some very subtle changes to the surface texture. I would say it is slightly exaggerated on the turret roof. But it is a detail I would like to emphasise in this build. Will see what I can do in aid during the painting process. Looking forward to have the 1/35 and 1/16 turret sit side by side painted by the end of next week.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hey there,

went ahead and gave the turret a base coat. Decided to go much lighter for the "Dunkelgelb" to start off and tinge it with filters. The small one was a bit too dark for my taste.

So here we are.

Edit. added one of those outside shots after some more highlighting in the Dunkelgelb and olive Green.
Turret outside tri tone.jpg
Attachments
Panther Turret tri tone right.jpg
Panther Turret tri tone left.jpg
tri tone left
tri tone left
olive green
olive green
Basecoat
Basecoat
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Spectacular effect Mr Soeren.
The lighter Dunklegelb seems to be a good call.
I accidentally made a brew of real light German Dark yellow that I used on the lower hull & running gear of my F05 Tiger, and its really good.
The mix was a recommendation from some obscure site by an ore obscure member that was back in 2008 & never added to, but the brew I made following his recipe was really nice.
With practice, adding washes and other weathering to the standard colour Tamiya German dark yellow makes them too dark, so it make sense to lighten the base colour and darken it during the finishing stage.

Smart work mate, nice.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thank you Hermann. It is actually different than expected. I had not much of Vallejos RAL7028 left. So ended with mostly camp beige. Start was Tank Ochre mixed with 7028. After that 25%Tank Ochre, 25% Ivory and 50% camp beige. Final highlights was RAL1001 with Vallejo Light which seems to be available only in their German Tanks Weathering kit, or was it the Dunkelgelb modulation :think:
Anyways, although it has some yellow I it, it doesn't show too much. Most of the Panthers we see build are based on the Dunkelgelb proper. So this is something different. I like it like that. The green is revellers olive green. Which is more green compared to the Vallejo 6003 you can see on my Jagdpanther. Gave it a highlight by adding some drops to the 1001/Light remains. Goes more intof the MIGAMMO dark Research. But I like it together withe the 8012. Will see what filters can do. But that may take a while. Yesterday I fetched the Tiger hull from the shelf. That will get some attention during the following weeks until the Panther feels like something new :crazy:

Speaking of starting lighter, on a forum for smaller static kits, a fellow modeller mentioned that he will now start 25% lighter roughly, because of all the products to be added. I tend to get into that direction as well. Also Hotte and Tomhugill showed their lighter approach. It just brings the details out.

What was your brew recipe?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

It was from memory a 50/50 German dark yellow and buff.
I will admit to being very dubious of it, but I took a chance & it seemed to be a good blend.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

I agree, the lighter shade looks great. I've had good results before lightening XF-60 Dark Yellow with XF-55 Deck Tan, it looks similar to the big turret in this picture.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The mix I used is not too much different. Dunkelgelb and RAL1001 most of the time. For instance on the Jagdpanther.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Hi there. Couldn't make up my mind yet which second grill I would like for the cut compartment heater. Reshaped the panel line and added those strips on the outside some meng bolts will complement that. The voyager set contains the top of the fuel and cooler water caps. Some people fret soldered to it and you have the cap. Image

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

Return to “Other Builds”