Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

foxtrotraptor wrote:good thing I saw this, Im starting a Heng Long IV build. Thank you. Awesome Info :thumbup: :thumbup:
You're very welcome. More to follow, and I shall follow your build with keen interest. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's the Tamiya Panzer IV lower hull, absolutely starkers:
Bare Tamiya Panzer  IV lower hull
Bare Tamiya Panzer IV lower hull
Here the black lines indicate centre points of the first three return rollers, relative to the rearmost one:
Tamiya Pz IV return roller configuration
Tamiya Pz IV return roller configuration
A detail of the rear roller shows a gap of approx 3mm between it and a centre line through the other three.
Rearmost return roller detail
Rearmost return roller detail
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's my surgically shortened Asiatam rolling lower Hull/chassis:
Asiatam PZ IV rolling metal hull/chassis
Asiatam PZ IV rolling metal hull/chassis
Asiatam Pz IV metal hull
Asiatam Pz IV metal hull
But here it is serving as the basis for a Hybrid Panzer IV; a combination that avoids two of the three major errors (Return Roller and Engine deck slope), and only needs a spot of sawing to lower the lid of the Turret storage bin... :)
Tamiya/HL/Taigen /Asiatam hybrid Pz IV
Tamiya/HL/Taigen /Asiatam hybrid Pz IV
and another peek:
Panzer IV hybrid
Panzer IV hybrid
The hybrid consists of: Asiatam metal hull, with Asiatam/Taigen metal running gear; Tamiya ausf.J upper hull, and HL/Taigen airsoft Turret (ausf F2/G). This is one way of building a fairly accurate Pz IV, although the amount of additional detailing needed, (as per desired version type), to make an acceptable model remains a personal choice- based on finances, level of modelling fanaticism, and of course the availability of parts. Altogether, it still works out cheaper than the boxed Tamiya full-option
package. :think:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Then again..another option might be to plant the Heng Long/Taigen upper hull and turret onto the Tamiya chassis. It looks do-able with a few mods.. What's more the Upper hull + turret is as cheap as chips in Airsoft format. :thumbup: :wave:
Tamiya/HL Pz IV hybrid..
Tamiya/HL Pz IV hybrid..
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

This is a fantastic 'how to' on the PzIV.
May I suggest this goes into the "Things to fix on your new tank:" section ?

We would all benefit from this advice not sinking to the back pages ;)
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Arnie_DK wrote: First of is the HL/Taigen lower in plastic, with the modified return roller.

Then we have an unmodified Asiatam Lower. No mods. Just axle supports under the hubs. Fits right in. Although the fenders on the upper hull had to be extended, in order to go over the drive wheels.

And last the new Metal Lower from taigen with no mods. Nothing at all as it cant be done, wothout a lot of cutting and grinding.

All three side by side.
Heh... Dont think I ever quoted myself before :P
But I noticed something I've never noticed before in these pics.

It seems to me like all the return rollers on the Asiatam hull is lover than the rest. The drive sprocket seems to be in the same position on all of them.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

To my eye, Arnie, you're right about the Asiatam rear return roller being lower; but the top of its front sprocket also seems to be positioned higher than with other models (in line with the top of the first three rollers)..making it actually correct. :thumbup: Feel free to quote yourself as often as you need, and give yourself a pat on the back for your triple comparison shots while you're at it:thumbup:
Overall, the Asiatam lower hull seems to be on par with Tamiya in terms of accuracy. :think: Its such a pity that it's a pig to work with :|
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:This is a fantastic 'how to' on the PzIV.
May I suggest this goes into the "Things to fix on your new tank:" section ?

We would all benefit from this advice not sinking to the back pages ;)
Sounds reasonable to me, HB...so long as it doesn't vanish into the ether in transit 8O :D I suppose some of the more detailed threads might benefit from being cross referenced to in other categories ( 'see also' type references..I mean. Just a thought for the future) :think:
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Here are a few reference pics of a stock Tamiya Panzer IV if anyone needs them. No mods other than a few minor cosmetic details. If anyone needs close ups of any parts just let me know and I'll post them up.
20170908_085556.jpg
20170908_085637.jpg
20170908_085655.jpg
20170908_085730.jpg
20170908_085854.jpg
Attachments
umpCAIFBF0P.jpg
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

That's absolutely fantastic looking!
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”