Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:On the PzIV?..................crap-least favorite, and toy like no matter what version.

On social media expectations ?...............(turns around, lifts Kilt and presents with gusto) :-<
Ah!!! phut.......nothing like an 'a posteriori' observation to sum the world up, eh? In this case, a scale model.. :D
But I beg to differ, oh jaundiced one, the Pz IV has a pleasing industrial look to it...in contrast say, to the clean lines of the King Tiger. :think: :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

To my utter astonishment, this little bundle of Tamiya bits has just winged its way from Hawaii, in a time that would put Amazon deliveries to shame (those from 'Luxembourg', or 'via' Luxembourg in theory..more like)..
So, that's all the way from the middle of the Pacific, to one of the remotest parts of Scotland almost as quick as Royal Mail's 'snail mail' small parcel service. Captain Cook would have been most impressed..
Tamiya panels from Hawaii...
Tamiya panels from Hawaii...
I can only reiterate my gratitude to Mike (Sassgrunt) for taking the trouble to seek these hard-to-buy parts out, and mail them to me. :clap: The packaging was incredibly neat too, almost equal to Apple's standards :thumbup: Perhaps we should have a star system for rewarding forum members for the best solution to problems, the Thread of the Month, or just for simple acts of kindness. Anyway, Many thanks, Mike...donor of the Month :clap: :thumbup: There must be a modelling Knighthood out there waiting :lolno:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Call me slow, I only just realised this thread moved from a research project into a build!

Very thorough Roy! Can't wait for the whiff of adhesives and fillers.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I certainly shall not hold back, YOU ARE SLOW :haha: :/ :haha:
I thought that it was common knowledge that Tom H and Roy were senior executives in the Brainwashing Department of the Tamiya Corp,
They have but one objective and that is to fill your house your Garage your loft and your workshop with as many replicas of military and quasi military ephemera that have been or are being manufactured and sold by the said secret organisation that you can be fooled into purchasing,
If you wont take my warning then listen to your partner and your bank manager,
No good can come of this activity which is called a "Hobby" but is in fact a "SCAM",
WOE WOE A thousand times WOE.
Now where did I put that "Dremel"
If I might ask a separate unrelated Question?
Do the fumes from Superglue have a side effect on the brain ??
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

My point exactly! There was all this talk of buy three of these and two of that (to misquote The Big Yin), but no actually humming of Dremels. Then I spot a bit of action in amongst all the toys...

Luckily Roy hasn't managed to master the voice activated Mac..
phpBB [video]
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

:haha: :haha: :clap: :clap:
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:My point exactly! There was all this talk of buy three of these and two of that (to misquote The Big Yin), but no actually humming of Dremels. Then I spot a bit of action in amongst all the toys...

Luckily Roy hasn't managed to master the voice activated Mac..
phpBB [video]
:lolno: :haha:

Luckily, not everyone in Scotland has a broad Glaswegian accent (though my family had..). I, by contrast, having lived and worked outside of Scotland for many years and have quite a 'refai-ned voice', like Maggie Smith's 'Miss Jean Brodie', but an octave or two lower. ;)
Also the Highland accent is very mild, and Indeed on the West coast, with the strong gaelic influence, it can often have a mildly Irish tinge to it. It's not exacerbated by buckets of Buckfast and plates of greasy fry ups, like the Govan accent..
and interestingly, the most common cause of house-fires in Glasgow is the ubiquitous 'chip-pan fire"! fact.
Anyway, 'Siri' has little difficulty understanding me...though we don't have the most scintillating conversations, y'ken :haha: :haha:
Yes, it is a fact that voice activated software and the Lowland/Central Scotland accent are not happy bedfellows. :-< just listen to this wee rant (wait for the 20second ad to run and then press play..)
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... an-9122035
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Call me slow, I only just realised this thread moved from a research project into a build!

Very thorough Roy! Can't wait for the whiff of adhesives and fillers.
I'm as confused as you are. Let's just redefine this thread as a 'research in depth project'. It's now on par with those 'military' advisers' in a theatre of conflict who gradually- through mission creep, morph into full-fledged
combatants.
I've now assembled enough parts for the combined bits to take on the shape of a tank; and when you get that far, when a new tank profile is on the skyline, the impulse to stop is rapidly overridden....and wait..yes, I see TWO tanks taking shape!
If the Trumpeter overcomes my financial restraint, and good sense..it could be THREE. Time to sniff some Contacta pro, I think.. :haha:
Worse still, the Asiatam is probably going to be festooned in a Ludwig Jagdpanzer kit.. and the Tamiya...well, who knows. It could end up 100% Tamiya, or Tamiya on the outside- and something else inside. :think:
Jekkyl and Tamiya.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

If you want a decent Pz IV, then I'd advise you to buy Tamiya's suspension for it, whether your kit is from Trumpeter, Taigen, Heng Long...or even.. er..Tamiya :lolno: Put simply, it's precisely engineered, and fabricated out of good quality materials.
Look at these examples:
This is what a suspension bogey looks like after the spring has been secured by a 3mm grub screw, and some thread locker (Tamiya type). The next stage is to lift the assembly onto two road wheels, ensuring that the 'D' profiles of the stub axles
engage with the 'D' shapes in the rocker arms. The two cover plates are screwed in place to prevent unwanted dislocation under stress (and I know all about that 8O :haha: )
Tamiya suspension basic layout
Tamiya suspension basic layout
and here's the bogey ready for fitting ..
Clean cut fittings..Tamiya Pz IV bogey
Clean cut fittings..Tamiya Pz IV bogey
I really like the fact the the axles in the road wheels have two bearings per wheel, and that the shaft is locked to the bogey by matching flats machined on the spindles. The woeful Taigen kit has nothing like it...
and..no..Shaun, I'm not in receipt of a backhander, nor gratuity, nor greased palm, from Mr Tamiya San for making complimentary observations about his suspension systems! Don't forget how disappointed I was with the insubstantial, nay flimsy even, feel of the
KT Turret and upper hull :|
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

An illustration of basic, but highly effective design: the (Male) 'D' shaped stub axle, and ..dare i say it in this PC age..the matching 'D' shaped (Female) housing! :shifty: :shifty:
Tamiya Pz IV stub axles
Tamiya Pz IV stub axles

Return to “Other Builds”