Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Raminator wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:With that in place, it's necessary to fix the recoil assembly spring to the roof of the turret. That can be a tad fiddly, especially when it then has to connect back to the recoil bracket...and it's usually worth at least three serious expletives :-< :D
Only three? I've been led to believe that Scots are as colourful (and generous!) with their invective as Aussies. ;)

Another successful build Roy, glad to see it all together with all the functional guts installed. What are your plans for the brains? Are you sourcing a DMD/MFU or are you looking further afield?
Glaswegians, and probably Dubliners too, are unquestionably in class of their own, Dan, when it comes to expletives..especially after a night of 'Uisge Beatha' (Whiskey...). They'd be effing vying for the gold and silver gold medals at the Expletive Olympics every time. The Antipodeans might just scrape in with the bronze, though :) .. Highlanders- modern ones anyway- don't generally pepper their speech with effing expletives, as much as the lowland heathen :haha: , and disdain the use of it. Maybe that's because the Kirk still has more influence up here than doon yonder. :think:
The road forks ahead (and I did mean 'forks' :haha: ), in terms of the Pz IV's prospective electronic heart. Having just spent money, I'd no intention of parting with, on the Tamiya Jagdpanther (static version) 8O I need to pause for thought, (and a pension payment :lolno: ) for a few weeks. It would be simpler to go down the DMD road, if I could find suitable used (but fully functional) units. The Jagdpanther will NOT have Tamiya electronics however..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:I do like your attention to detail, I am pleased that you have left off the Schurtzen covering the wheels and suspension especially as you have gone to the trouble of fitting the Correct "Late" Rear Idlers and Front Sprockets,
In fact all I would point out :haha: :haha: is the temporary omission of the Spare wheel carrier retaining bar.
I imagine that will be fitted at the same time as the "Aber" Tool clamps? :lolno:
Now do you see why I never submit photographs?
Truly it is a lovely job of work and you should be very proud of it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Shaun.
It would be folly, Shaun, to clamp the spare wheels in place before painting the model.. The retaining bar, meanwhile, is champing at the bit to make an appearance; but I can't be rushed. I'll need fairer, warmer weather, to make a passable attempt at Camo and weathering (black and white coat for shading and highlights, with Tri-colour camo as the top coat.). Rattle cans are fine for once overs, but I'll need to be able to use the airbrush to get a weathered patina on the model...
Nature, of course, provides its own weathered patinas for us....without recourse to an airbrush... :| I understand too, that Milliput is not suitable for facial wrinkles :thumbdown:
Estniche mentioned Handy Andy's Youtube Jagdtiger build. Part 2, (more than 30mins) is an excellent exposition of tank daubing and clarting; referencing numerous materials and techniques. Take a peek. I found it quite educational, and fully intend using some of his tricks, and sleight- of- paint on the Pz IV, as well as the Jagdpanther:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: Here ya go Arnie, just for you ;)
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24891
Cant help but feeling a bit disapointed :P

For reference... This is how you wear Shorts ;)
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B10743C
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Roy, I've discovered that Andy has leaves out a few steps covered in earlier videos, so its worthwhile exploring those too. As an example, he blended the colours by spraying at a distance with thinned Tamiya Buff, but I don't think he covers it in the Jagdpather videos.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Roy, I've discovered that Andy has leaves out a few steps covered in earlier videos, so its worthwhile exploring those too. As an example, he blended the colours by spraying at a distance with thinned Tamiya Buff, but I don't think he covers it in the Jagdpather videos.
Thanks for the link in the first place. :thumbup: Painting a tank is a territory I've probably explored the least. Andy gives a very good introduction to model painting.These days, of course, there are thousands of such introductions; many of them not worth a click...it emerges later.. :think: .That's where the filtering effect of a trustworthy recommendation comes in. ;)
Putting back and white (highlights and..er..lowlights :lolno: ) before the Dunkelgelb topcoat (or Olive drab for allied stuff), seems counter-intuitive. I'd be inclined to work from light to dark, as with artists' watercolours.
Vallejo and others often produce shades of a given camo colour (e.g, Dunkelgrau) so that darker shades can be added later, to simulate weathering etc.
Hitherto, my inclination has been to paint the default colour- dunkelgelb, in this instance, and then add pin washer of darker hues later. Maybe that's not the right approach.. :think:
This needs another thread.
('A stitch in time..saves nine.. :haha: ). Who wants to ruin a model with duff enhancements, after all?

Note: the predictive text feature insisted on converting 'Topcoat' into 'Topcat", and 'Drab' into Dean' :crazy: I've no idea why...........
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A minor update. Previously, like many contributors here, I've used wee magnets to link tank components together. For hub caps, however, I've used blu-tack until now. Then Sassgrunt suggested I use magnets for the
Tamiya Pz IV Sprocket caps. :)
Never one to pass up good advice, I figured that I'd need the thinnest- but strongest- magnets I could get, in order not to need to grind down the tops of the retaining screws, which happen to lie close to the surface on this model.
I got these:
Neodymium magnets from 3 to 6mm
Neodymium magnets from 3 to 6mm
I forget what I paid for my last batch of magnets, but these were really quite cheap. Better still, the ones I elected to use (6mm x 1mm thick), had an 'Easypeel' adhesive surface on one side. What's more, it's good and strong. :thumbup:
These magnets also come supplied in a proper case, bearing all the details you to know (polarity; strength of attraction etc..).
While I was about it, I also fitted magnets to the Sprocket covers of my 99% complete Tamiya Panther G.
Easypeel magnets fitted to sprocket caps...6mm x 1mm
Easypeel magnets fitted to sprocket caps...6mm x 1mm
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Then after a quick coat of primer, and topcoat of Dunkelgelb, I attached the caps to the Tamiya Pz IV. They fit perfectly..yay :thumbup:
For the present, the Pz IV can go back on the shelf until I decide it's final camo layout, and what electronic heart to graft into her... Obviously, I won't begin to paint the shackles and external accessories until the body of the tank is wearing the most suitable overcoat. It could be a Finnish one.. :)
Neodymium magnets holding Pz IV sprocket caps in place
Neodymium magnets holding Pz IV sprocket caps in place
As an afterthought, these bargain magnets came via Ebay. They have a surprising amount of 'pull', so Don't leave them near a digital watch, nor in the pocket over your pacemaker, chaps :haha:
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

250g -330g of pull force look reasonably strong :thumbup:
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

That would be a Finnish finish, then Roy?

Something I have found out is that the Finnish paint jobs going around on 1:1 Stugs are mostly wrong, especially those used in the film Tali-Ihantala 1944.

It should be a pale greyish sandy colour as the base, with red-brown and medium green hard-edged camo.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Roy it's a spectacular piece my friend
Tanks alot.... :wave:

Return to “Other Builds”