Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Ad Lav
Captain

Re: Contemplating a Panzer IV build? Then...

Post by Ad Lav »

AAF can get you the bracket in about a week. Quick postage - around £10 though.
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

I'll try and get you dimensions and pics of the recoil bracket.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Brings back memories of my build :D

The turret ring on the panzer iv is the only WW2 one that can't be twisted and pulled off.
An interesting tidbit, Adam. Do you mean on the real deal, or Tamiya's Full-Option range? :D

Oh, yes well I'm certainly going to look into the AAF option. They often appear to have stock there, when there's a Tamiya parts desert elsewhere. :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Maccrage wrote:I'll try and get you dimensions and pics of the recoil bracket.
Many thanks Mac, I'm up for a spot of improvisation ..and I have some suitable bits of metal around the house :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Thanks for the photos of all the steps Roy - so we can share the journey. I found a wonderfully finished Stug here and it was shown at the end - I'm going 'but what happened?'

Having a baby is not half as much fun as making one...
Happy to have you along. :) It's a fine line between providing meaningful detail in a logical, but (hopefully) engaging manner, and acting as an alternative to 'Nytol'... :lolno: For the benefit of those who may never assemble
a Tamiya tank, however (and given the latest heart-palpitation inducing price increases here- never likely to), I thought I'd leave a detailed log of the process. This will include any obvious gaffes, of course.
Where appropriate, I've also included the tools used at each stage. In the event that a surfeit of detail is causing a surfeit of comas among members, I'll simplify the rest... :D
Feeding a baby is a lot more fun than cleaning up the inevitable consequences... :lolno: ;)
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Many thanks Mac, I'm up for a spot of improvisation ..and I have some suitable bits of metal around the house :thumbup:
Happy to help. I've been following your build. I'm about to start my own Tamiya/Trumpeter Panzer IV build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Maccrage wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:
Happy to help. I've been following your build. I'm about to start my own Tamiya/Trumpeter Panzer IV build.
One reason I was drawn to RCTW was the willingness of people to share the Highs, and the occasional lows, of Tank modelling (not exclusively..); as well as chewing' the fat on a bunch of other stuff. Glad you're following along, Mac ( The 'Oregon" trail, is it... :D ). :D I shall be tuned into your own Pz IV hybrid build when you begin, and follow with great interest. :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Just ordered some final bits, including the Recoil bracket from AAF Museum in the States. I'm impressed by their Tamiya inventory, but was taken aback by the £70 + it's going to cost to ship (er..'Plane') those wee essentials to me.
Then I'll almost certainly get stiffed by Customs. (VAT etc.,) :-<
Looking at their pricing, though, some bits are cheaper than over here, but now with visual parity between the £ the $ and the Euro, I was surprised to find that there's not as much of a difference in price as I'd expected. Buying the new Tamiya Abrams in the USA is likely to be as much of a Hypertension inducer as it is in the UK and Europe. :O
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

You can opt for the cheaper postage - just no tracking or insurance.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:You can opt for the cheaper postage - just no tracking or insurance.
Interesting. In fact, after I put my Highland address in the 'recalculate' postal cost, there was only one option available, Adam. It seems that the penalties, and 'surcharges' imposed on Highland postcodes (many UK firms won't even ship there..the wee b**tards), have also found their way across the Pond.
Still, as long as the bits arrive safely, I'll just have to 'take the hit'- even though it's a bit below the belt, and right in the Sporran :-< :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Builds”