Russian SU76M

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Russian SU76M

Post by wibblywobbly »

I was at Bovington and saw one of these, my brain immediately starts converting shapes into drawings, so I took a load of pics that are uploaded into the research area of the forum.

Over the following days I kept thinking about doing one, and decided to design the whole tank in CAD on the basis that if it all fits together on screen, then it will all fit together if I print it.

Parts like the lower hull will have to be cut in half to print as they are too big, but the rest of the model is separate parts, all assembled on screen. This has the advantage that where possible I can print say a hull sheet, complete with all of the attachments moulded in.

Anyway, this is where I am now, still need to do the gun and citadel internals. The tracks and sprockets will be a problem to solve. A close match to tracks can usually be found off the shelf, but these are unique, so I will either have to compromise on them, or try printing my own.
Attachments
M761.png
M761.png (34.04 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
SU762.png
SU762.png (48.69 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
SU763.png
SU763.png (46.11 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
SU764.png
SU764.png (40.54 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Russian SU76M

Post by AlwynTurner »

Rob that is some awesome piece of CAD work - I'm gobsmacked! 8O :crazy: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a great start, at this rate you will need to buy at least 2 extra printers! - No forget I said that it just multiplies the maintenance problems. :/

Alwyn :wave: :thumbup:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Thanks Alwyn, amazingly it is easier to do it this way than do all the parts separately and then find out that tolerances result in a misfit.

I may at some point design some tracks...that will be the biggest challenge. :crazy:

As a test I created a hollow hull sized box with an open top and loaded it into Cura. It would be a 17 hour print time, gulp, not that it would fit onto my print bed anyway. Imagine that going wrong after 16 hours??
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

The longest print I've tried on my printer was 4.5 hours and I had two failed prints after an hour, the final working print was babysat into the wee small hours and I needed much refreshment of the alcoholic variety to calm my nerves afterwards. I don't even want to contemplate 16 hours! :crazy: :lolno:
Alwyn

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I was having a look on line and along with a load of blueprints, I found a couple of photos which may or may not be of any help.
SU 76 tracks.jpg
76m gun.jpg
76m gun.jpg (40.52 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
Needless to say, they are photos of models.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

That's the Tamiya 1/35 kit, I have looked at a few of those for inspiration, to see how they designed their kit. I can print tracks, it's the track pins and making them strong and reliable that are going to be a pain, might be worth a go though, just to see.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Would Sherman tracks be any good?
Alwyn

RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

AlwynTurner wrote:Would Sherman tracks be any good?
Alwyn

I was wondering about those. There's a cavity in the HL ones that could take a drive sprocket.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I have Sherman tracks here but they are totally flat on the inside edge. It's still looking like a DIY job. Bogeyman has a 3D printed Scorpion, which has printed tracks, and those are incredibly good.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Hell yes, Rob. I'd love to build one of these, I have a real soft spot for little T-70s and SU-76s. This has been on my far-future wishlist for a long time, I've always thought it such a shame that the most common (and successful!) tanks never get models made.

Really excited to see how you go about this, I'm expecting great things.

Return to “Other Builds”