1/16 RC Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Vandra M7 Priest SP Howitzer conversion build

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support and kind words.

I really enjoy building vehicles with open fighting compartment, it allow me to personnalize the interior and create views that we do not see often.

I develop things by small modules that can be focused on and handled individually as small projects by themselves, but without losing sight of the integration to the core. The technique is simple; research, planning, cutting, assembly, sanding, polishing, painting but go back to any previous step if results are not good enough... There is no big deal in trashing 3 hours of work and start again or repainting something 3 times if the alternative is not being satisfied.

We all have our strengths and try our best in other area. I, for example, leave complex electronics, programming and arrangements to people smarter than me. I also use simple materials that work for me, allows for fast results and ensure i will not get discouraged.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support and kind words.

I really enjoy building vehicles with open fighting compartment, it allow me to personnalize the interior and create views that we do not see often.

I develop things by small modules that can be focused on and handled individually as small projects by themselves, but without losing sight of the integration to the core. The technique is simple; research, planning, cutting, assembly, sanding, polishing, painting but go back to any previous step if results are not good enough... There is no big deal in trashing 3 hours of work and start again or repainting something 3 times if the alternative is not being satisfied.

We all have our strengths and try our best in other area. I, for example, leave complex electronics, programming and arrangements to people smarter than me. I also use simple materials that work for me, allows for fast results and ensure i will not get discouraged.

Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Now the driver area.

Remember those first posts where I showed what the kit provides for the driver's area, a big empty hole.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
While scratch building the fighting compartment, I enclosed the whole area but it was always a concern to me how I would finish it.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
I scratch built the driver's dashboard in an earlier step and today I took a reference picture of the driver's pit, scanned it, edited it and glued it on a thin plasticard with a simulated top of the driver's seat coming out of the picture. However, it was not very convincing and I was not too pleased with the results. It needed a driver...
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Taking the Heng Long figure coming with the Sherman donor (actually a Tamiya M26 commander), I modified the extended right arm and fold it so that it can fit in the M7 driver area, also removing the stripes on the uniform and reduced it in height.
Vandra M7 Priest driver
Vandra M7 Priest driver
I always disliked figure painting, and I am not good at it. It takes an eternity and the paint never seems to dry. That's why most of my tanks do not have any figures on them. A realistic paint job of the face is difficult and I rarely achieve good results. So I tried to do my best here. Not too bad though.
Vandra M7 Priest driver
Vandra M7 Priest driver
The driver has an original pose and fits well in the driver's area of the M7, his head is turning towards the back as if he was talking to the guy behind. I ordered the 2 Torro US WW2 tank riders available on ebay so I will likely put them on the available seats depending on how they integrate with the scene.
Vandra M7 Priest driver
Vandra M7 Priest driver
I find this arrangement rather convincing and much better anyway than the huge hole the area was before.
Vandra M7 Priest driver
Vandra M7 Priest driver
View from the front. The driver area is now done and satisfactorily. The big mystery as to how I would finally resolve this problem is gone.
Vandra M7 Priest driver
Vandra M7 Priest driver
Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Fantastic job looks very convincing to me and he's got a Brad Pitt kinda Hollywood look too so very nicely done Louis.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

Here is the M2 .50 cal machine gun. This is the Tamiya M2 coming with the Pershing tank, I ordered a bunch of them years ago to put on all my US vehicles.

This is a very precise model kit on its own and should not be neglected. The gun itself was simply painted flat black and dry brushed with dark steel pigments, with brown color applied on the handles, that's all. The ammo box decal is from DGS. Although the Vandra M2 seemed ok, I preferred to use the Tamiya which is more detailed and functional.
Tamiya M2 machine gun on M7 Priest
Regards, Louis
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

At this point, I went as far as I could with the material I had. I still have a few items in the mail and I will post updates later once I get them and have installed them. The model is not finished yet, but almost.

The proportions (gun vs hull) of the Vandra kit are reasonable and the model seems well balanced. However, rivet counters like me have noticed that the hull is a few mm too high. It would be too complicated to fix that.

The M3 suspension is properly visible in this shot below. Rear idler is temporarily installed as I am expecting a surprise from Sassgrunt...
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
The driver position looks good.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest

This is the frame for the tarpaulin made of brass, installed on each sides. I never saw a wartime picture with these installed on top of the vehicle so it seems it may not have been too popular in the field. Likely used during storage only.

It is unclear for me if the installation arrangement for the side skirts were actually present on the Mid production M7. Many wartime pictures show these on the late and M7B1, but no clear pictures of them on the Mid version. I decided to leave them on because they look good and it is realistic that they might have been applied later by field depot.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Tools are installed, mixtures of items from the spare box, mostly from Tamiya Sherman.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Spare tracks are on.
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Vandra M7 Priest
Now getting ready for the next project, to be announced soon.

Regards, Louis
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Louis she's a real beauty. Such a fantastic job all around with this one
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

That is a beautiful tank :D
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

You've created something fairly rare and truly special, something that's accurate, detailed to the nth degree and beautifully and artistically finished. Your priest is really something to aspire to. Bravo! :clap:
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,

I thought you might want to see the M7 Priest in action. Here are 3 short videos from the field trials.

Keep in mind that the gun elevation and rotation systems are home made systems reusing the available Sherman Heng Long components, in quite restricted conditions in terms of available space, need for accuracy (meaning nothing sticking out) and costs (zero $). It's basic but it allows for some action.

https://youtu.be/rEeBYODS-gU

https://youtu.be/dS7C_ifgFTk

https://youtu.be/7d4anW-N0Co

Regards, Louis

Return to “Other Builds”