AERO MATE Panther II

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Met5
Corporal

Re: AERO MATE Panther II

Post by Met5 »

Painting?
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

A gem of a model no doubt. Lucky you.
I was looking for my next scratch building project and started searching for information on the Panther 2. With almost no results. Could I use Tiger 2 road wheels and tracks on Panther 2 ? I did not wont to use rubber rimed wheels. Also what cannon did Panther 2 carry ?
I would much appreciate if you could help.
Walter
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Wasnt it the 75mm, first? In Wot you run a 88/71. But I guess that wouldnt want to go into a real Schmalturm.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
there is a lot of information about Panther II - look for Panzer Tracts No 5-4:
http://www.panzerwrecks.com/product/pan ... ii-ausf-f/

and pictures:
http://www.armorjournal.com/index-tanks ... I-NACM.php

The Panther II should not have had the "Schmalturm" - this Turret was made later for Panther F!
A turret was never build, there was only a concept drawing for Panther II Turret with 8.8 KWK - this turret was a little bit wider than Schmalturm.
The reason for develop the Panther II was standardization for Tank parts and the use of most Parts from Tiger II.
Road wheels are the same like at the Tiger II - except the centercap of the wheels is different.
The sprocket is the 18 teeth-version of Tiger II and the idlerwheel is different and made only for Panther II - in most cases modellbuilder use the Tiger II idler.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The Doyle book shows the drawing pictured with the Schamlturm and tells the KWK 43 8.8/L71 was to be used. Well, we´ll never know how it would have turned out. The Panther G turret was used in that surviving example because of availability most likely.
walter
Sergeant

Post by walter »

Thank you so much your replays where very helpful.
Cheers Walter
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Soeren wrote:The Doyle book shows the drawing pictured with the Schamlturm and tells the KWK 43 8.8/L71 was to be used. Well, we´ll never know how it would have turned out. The Panther G turret was used in that surviving example because of availability most likely.
This is info isn´t correct.
Look the attached Drawings of Panther II (left) and Panther G with Schmalturm (right).
The Turret on Panther II is drawed by dashed lines - because this turret was never build.

An original report has been found which confirms that without a turret - just test weight rings -
the singe Panther II chassis was sipped to Aberdeen Proving Ground after the war.
Still with the test weight rings on top, the Panther II chassis was sent to Detroit for testing.
After returning to Aberdeen Proving Ground, a turret from Panther G was mounted on the Panther II chassis.
Later when the Panther II was transferred to the Patton Museum in Fort Knox, where it underwent restoration,
at which time turret armor bodies were switched with a different Panther G.
Attachments
Comparison.jpg
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thanks for the additional info and that picture. Still I dont see too much difference as both turrets feature the same basic concepts. And we see that the Panther ii version would need to be different if the kwk43 was to be mounted. This is all very interesting. Which kind of turret and canon are you gonna use?
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
my Build is the Panther II at Fort Knox with Panther G turret.

The dashed Drawing show the Turret with 7.5 KwK 42 L/70!!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

HI,

some new pictures:

?

TCB and Open Sound Device:
?

Return to “Other Builds”