• Advertisement
Welsh Dragon Models

Panda Hobby Panzer 38-t r/c Conversion

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:25 am

In the madness of this amazing hobby and as I await the bits and electronics for my nashorn project and other things I though it would be perfectly sane and brilliant to open up my panzer 38-t that I started and convert it to full r/c with the 35rctank conversion kit.

I guess with a full time job and family why not shoehorn another thing into the fold....

Sadly the conversion kit is 4-8 weeks out but that's OK because it will give me time to prep the upper and lower hulls. Suspension and roadwheels to accept the conversion. I've gotta dissect this thing to make two working halves..

I will also drill out every track link in the kit to accept track pins

Here are some photos of the kit and paperwork.

I will post pictures of the build as it starts to materialize. Anyone with experience with this kit please feel free to lend any tips they have

c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby silversurfer1947 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:04 am

I shall be watching this with huge interest. I bought one of these kits quite some time ago when it was on offer. It was my intention to use the Clark conversion kit, but it was out of stock and had since been taken out of production. Since then, other projects have intervened. Once my Puma is finished, I feel like having a go at this one.

Do you have a link to the kit review that's in the photo?
silversurfer1947
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 pm

I will try to locate it for you!
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 pm

While you are on a roll Mr Rainford, how about pitching a curve ball to Mr Turner for a Hetzer upper :shifty:
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 pm

c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby silversurfer1947 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks Carl. I will have a good read when the time comes.
silversurfer1947
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:23 pm

HERMAN BIX wrote:While you are on a roll Mr Rainford, how about pitching a curve ball to Mr Turner for a Hetzer upper :shifty:

Funny Mr Herman I actually thought about that.... I'm sure he could design something stellar!
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby HERMAN BIX » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:26 pm

I bet, and sales of these things would blow out the hoo-haa
HERMAN BIX
Captain

Postby lmcq11 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi Carl,

It will be very interesting to see how you will fit gears and electronics in there. It will all be non standard stuff for sure to fit the room available, and for the weight restriction that the thinner plastic hull will somewhat impose. What conversion kit did you purchase ?

I built this kit a few years ago as a static. The engineering of the kit is complex, with many light and fragile parts. But it's accurate and looks very good once completed.

This is an exciting project.

Louis

lmcq11
Lance Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm

lmcq11 wrote:Hi Carl,

It will be very interesting to see how you will fit gears and electronics in there. It will all be non standard stuff for sure to fit the room available, and for the weight restriction that the thinner plastic hull will somewhat impose. What conversion kit did you purchase ?

I built this kit a few years ago as a static. The engineering of the kit is complex, with many light and fragile parts. But it's accurate and looks very good once completed.

This is an exciting project.

Louis

Hi lmcq11 it's the 35rctank conversion kit. I will be adding some styrene to reinforce the hull but it should be a good runner
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:53 pm

I've already started to assemble the lower hull and I will start to take photos of the necessary cuts to the panels to fit all the electronics and the gearboxes. Last night I had to knock out two boxes behind the front plate in order to make room for the gear boxes so I will post those pictures up tonight and then the big challenge is to cut the sides of the lower Hull where the upper Hull will connect
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:02 am

OK so I opened the kit and started to assemble the road wheels idlers and suspension in preparation for the RC conversion kit.

I ordered a metric drill bit kit ( everything here in the states is in inches) to make all the holes and Axels roll smoothly.

Here are the wheels and idlers. They will need sanding and the drilling.

The holes were cut in the hull to accept the conversion of the gearboxes

The suspension is going to be rubber and steel and functional so the plastic leaf springs had to go

I added some rear hull details

Then everyone of these gets drilled with a 1mm bit

I must admit I'm enjoying this kit and the electronics are still weeks away. The quality is very good and the fit and finish is absolutely spot on
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby PainlessWolf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:16 am

Good evening,
This looks like a lot of fun ( a 'lot' of fun in some case like the tracks but still fun ) Following along, my friend.
regards,
Painless
PainlessWolf
Major

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:23 am

PainlessWolf wrote:Good evening,
This looks like a lot of fun ( a 'lot' of fun in some case like the tracks but still fun ) Following along, my friend.
regards,
Painless

Thank you Mr Painless let me start by saying I hope you are feeling better

I'd say this build is the polar opposite of your big beautiful heavy metal tank destroyer you have under construction but maybe as much fun in a small light plasticised way

Carl
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B_Man » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:05 am

Chris Ludwig does an aluminium hull insert for these kits if you are interested in an easy way to make it RC ready.

B_Man
Lance Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 am

B_Man wrote:Chris Ludwig does an aluminium hull insert for these kits if you are interested in an easy way to make it RC ready.

Excellent news I'll check it out! Thank you
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby c.rainford73 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:40 am

Tonight I continued to tinker with preparing the upper and lower hulls for the RC conversion.

The top and bottom are only dry fit so as to facilitate adding parts as needed and making sure everything lines up.

I am expecting a few orders tomorrow for the necessary tools to dissect and drill all as needed.

Sanding is required and all the big parts are tested as not to be glued until the Rc parts arrive in a few weeks.

Once I seperate the hulls properly I will take before and after pictures. Then bracing will be added this weekend as per the 35rctank instructions.

Carl
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tao » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:10 am

How cool! Love it!

tao
Staff Sergeant

Postby Soeren » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:00 pm

This kit looks really nice. Is there interior available for it, I m asking because of all the rivets inside the hull. Do you have any detail comparison of this 1/16 kit compared to the better 1/35 kits? I guess it is not on par with the dragon stuff of late, but maybe close?

Soeren
Corporal

Postby c.rainford73 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Soeren wrote:This kit looks really nice. Is there interior available for it, I m asking because of all the rivets inside the hull. Do you have any detail comparison of this 1/16 kit compared to the better 1/35 kits? I guess it is not on par with the dragon stuff of late, but maybe close?

Soeren I would have to say the kit is very nice. I've been building 1:35 for any years and have to say this is very close to the quality of the last Tamiya 1:35 Panzer iv I built. The rivets on the surface have the extension coming through the other side. I'll send you some pics of the details tonight. I've seen these 1:16 kits for many years and had no idea of the quality until I purchased it. To be honest if it wasn't going to be converted to Rc I'd be very proud of it as a static kit. The fit and finish is on par with some of the better 1:35 kits I've built.
c.rainford73
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Other Builds