IS2 Scratch Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

IS2 Scratch Build

Post by AlwynTurner »

A new beginning! Well I have almost finished packing for the hols so am now sitting around contemplating what to do next, so what better than to kick off my next build. At least it will give me something to ponder about over a few San Miguels.

I downloaded the blueprint and scaled it as a reference, plus got a 1/35 Dragon kit for detail review and scale confirmation.

I am starting with a bare KV1 chassis and getting stuck in with the dremel.

I'm going to have to chop about 14mm width out of the chassis
The chassis will also be 8mm shallower
Some bits to chop off the back plus the drive sprocket has to move forward 6mm and down 10mm.

Quite a hefty chop and rebuild but as the saying goes you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs!

I probably won't get far before going away but then normal service will resume in July.

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
Last edited by AlwynTurner on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
c.rainford73
Major

Re: JS2 Scratch Build

Post by c.rainford73 »

Alwyn as usual you are one crafty man
Tanks alot.... :wave:
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Yet another great build being started, looking forward to seeing progress on this one! :thumbup:
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Well I'm back from sunny Spain and it's time to get cracking!

KV1 hull duly butchered
anf fits together some 14mm narower
Hole in the rear filled and marked out for new drive sprocket location

Next job is to first test how the gearboxes will fit in the revised structure, I have a nasty suspicion that things are going to be a tad cosy!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

If I knew anything at all about gears I would love to be able to design my own boxes so that they would be low ratio and fit into any tank I built. PLA is as tough as old boots so would be ok for the cogs. In the meantime I find that the HL low profile long or short shaft boxes fit where others won't.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Thanks Rob, I've got a KV1 lower hull complete with gearboxes which I am hoping to rob for the gearboxes and they are pretty low profile. What's worrying me is the width as I think I will wind up after taking out 14mm in the middle with a motor jammed up against the gearbox from the other side. Some creative engineering may be called for on this one! :crazy: 8O

Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Awesome :D
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Mr Alwyn glad to see you're back I will be following this one closely
Tanks alot.... :wave:
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Humpty is now back together
Coming along steadily

Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Looks like solid progress so far Alwyn, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your trademark precision wizardry. Are you planning on the early model with the stepped glacis, or the later version with the cast front?

The name's a personal pet peeve of mine, though. ??-2 should transliterate from Russian to English as IS-2; it's only transliterated as JS-2 in German (since they have the same soft sound). ????? ????????????? ?????? in Russian becomes Iosif Vissarionovich Stalin in English. ;)

Return to “Other Builds”