Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ok, the Christian Ludwig Cromwell is a kit, and so not a 'scratch build' in the blueprint to hand-cut model sense, of the sort that some maestros produce here. But, it's the best I'll be able to do...for now :|
As I'm still deciding how best to tackle the suspension in the lower hull, I thought I'd begin with the Upper Hull. It's also a way of getting the feel of things...being as I am, a scratch build virgin :shh:
Well, below is the basic kit. I have more advanced components on order. For newbies, if you want to look at Chris' models..and even the build manual for the Cromwell..go here:
http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/cromwell_1.htm
The manual Pdf. is here (In German and English..):- http://www.ludwigs-hobby-seite.de/Cromw ... eitung.pdf

Basic kit:
Ludwig Basic kit with gearboxes
Ludwig Basic kit with gearboxes
I also ordered the listed Asiatam gearboxes/motors, together with metal suspension arms and springs.

The Build. 1. Upper Hull.
Upper deck components
Upper deck components
It was critical here to match the parts up exactly. The corners had to be square (don't want a 'crabbing' Cromwell later.. :/ ), and properly aligned. Two of the side panels were not an exact fit, despite being aligned by pre-cut slots.
Having got it assembled, I began building the Besa MG to go in the front armoured plate, I'd just fitted.
The MG is tricky to assemble
The MG is tricky to assemble
Not a process for shaky fingers
Not a process for shaky fingers
Then, in place:
Upper Hull now awaiting extras and reinforcement..
Upper Hull now awaiting extras and reinforcement..
Now for the distinctive storage units. In Christian's build they're meant to be mounted on the mudguards with the lower Hull; but I can't see why they're not better off 'welded' to the upper hull<so:
One of three storage bins
One of three storage bins
Three bins clamped in place
Three bins clamped in place
Strengthening the Hull whilst fitting bins
Strengthening the Hull whilst fitting bins
Here I'd beefed the deck up with slivers of plastic I'd cut from the sprue (waste not, want not..), and some square profile tubing. There's a load of useful sprue building here in a number of thicknesses :thumbup:
That's it for today folks..
That's it for today folks..
Right, I shall Frappe Le Sac, boys. Maybe more tomorrow :wave:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
88-bait
Private

Re: Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

Post by 88-bait »

You seem to have an epic journey ahead of you and I will be watching with interest with its progress. :thumbup: British armour is so underrated imo. ;)
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Looking great, I'm going to be following on with interest. :clap: :clap:

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

H Great start , nice to see someone who hasn't scratch built before ,taking the plunge. will be watching build . If you get stuck don't forget to ask no doubt someone on here has already built one.

regards pete
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

971wright wrote:H Great start , nice to see someone who hasn't scratch built before ,taking the plunge. will be watching build . If you get stuck don't forget to ask no doubt someone on here has already built one.

regards pete
I've taken one to pieces, does that count?

Great work so far; will be following closely
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Nice work, look forward to yours and Toms being finished.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks for the encouragement, Boys..it all helps. :thumbup: In terms of 'taking one to pieces', Tom. I had to rebuild one corner to get it absolutely square. Two of the spindly side panels in the basic frame were (as printed..) not an exact fit in the pre-cut slots; they were around a millimetre out each side, and this lead to a slight skew (bow) in the front section when I'd bedded them in. :problem: the Upper Hull is as straight as a die in all directions now. I've also reinforced the hull to prevent it flexing. Looking at the configuration, any motor I'll fit for turret rotation will have to be positioned behind the Bow MG. That's the only place it can go. On the plus side, I just tried a spare Tiger 1 turret ring (HL) and it's quite a reasonable match for the turret, and there's also room for it- just- in the Upper Hull. The Cromwell is long (longer than the Tiger 1), but narrow. But I'll worry about the disposition of the internals when I've got a rolling shell built. Now to some bits requiring actual scratch building ability.. :O Never knew I had it in moi; but I'm quite pleased with the results so far. :D
Ok, enough o' the blether, just noo:
Adding beading to embossed bits
Adding beading to embossed bits
More 1mm beading
More 1mm beading
The lids here are held in place temporarily with parcel tape. Eventually they'll have proper hinges.. beading done.
1 mm beading..tubing fitted to all embossed areas
1 mm beading..tubing fitted to all embossed areas
Now for the Gunner's Hatch on the right of the Besa..
Gunner's Hatch
Gunner's Hatch
After filing away at these pesky things, I think maybe I could get a part time job in a Highland McManicurists :haha:
Getting the correct profile for the support arm
Getting the correct profile for the support arm
Not having any suitable wire (and my guitar string ends weren't the right size)..I remembered that I had box of 500 tiny screws for watch and spectacle repairs. Thus:
Hinge and Bracket..tee hee
Hinge and Bracket..tee hee
Hatch fitted..and it works too!
Hatch fitted..and it works too!
Now for the Air Filter unit..
Air Filter unit components for Cromwell and Comet..
Air Filter unit components for Cromwell and Comet..
Didn't get the wind up with this one..
Didn't get the wind up with this one..
Maybe I'll fit a switch below this..
Maybe I'll fit a switch below this..
Well, that's enough for today's instalment. Time for spot of Din Dins. he says..heading for the microwave.. :wave: The cordon bleu stuff will have to wait until the weekend; or maybe next year! :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon,
You are doing a wonderful job on this build. Excellent thinking with the screws. Screws beat wires anytime for tiny hinges on small hatches.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Watching with interest! Blethering is fine, just not so much of the havering.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Painless and Estniche. The need for lateral thinking, in builds such as this, certainly gets the old synapses buzzing. Sometimes, after a wee tsunami of ideas and almost as many contradictions..the light goes on..to mix metaphors (could be a lighthouse, I suppose.. ;) :crazy: The spectacle screws arrived on once such wave. Then, when I ran out of 1mm styrene tubing, I noticed that the stiff sweeping brush I use for leaves, and nature's debris, on my driveway has white bristles (probably of styrene), and around 1mm in diameter. Eureka! Perfect fit.
However, in my haste to post a few pics, I omitted a stage in the Air Filter build, and a shot of the Driver's hatch in pride of place.
Here they are:
Main elements bonded together awaiting side pieces
Main elements bonded together awaiting side pieces
Gunner's Hatch in place.jpeg
The Hatch will look ok after light sanding and painting, as the rest of the Hull should.
I'm waiting for metal driver's hatch from Chris to arrive, so I won't be assembling the styrene version that comes with the kit.
Meantime, I need to mod the front armour plate slightly. The top edge is not linear, just as the one on the Tiger 1 isn't. On the Cromwell, small bevels have been cut out of the top edge; possibly for drainage purposes.
See below:
The edge behind the MG and Driver's Hatch is sloped
The edge behind the MG and Driver's Hatch is sloped

Return to “Other Builds”