Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Cromwell Mk 4 1:16 scratch build Ludwig kit

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Still following along Roy for tips and tricks for my own :D :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

ronnie42 wrote:Roy Can't you use the metal barrel as the negative and run the positive cable down the tube then solder up a led for the flash ? :O . Just need to made sure the barrel is insulated from all other components.
Hmm..interesting solution, Ronnie. I had it in mind to run fibre optic down the barrel (two or three strands of the type used in MGs, and have the flash taped to the breech end. Taped and sealed around the fibre, that is, so the flash travels doon the barrel.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Adam and thanks Lee! If you can find any usable tips and tricks here, it will have made all the hair-pulling, expletives, and brain-meltdown worthwhile :thumbup: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
biertje
Private

Post by biertje »

Looking good mate :thumbup:
Any idea on what unit markings will go on it?
I have been pulling my hairs out to decide for the challenger

Greetings tim
fear naught
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

biertje wrote:Looking good mate :thumbup:
Any idea on what unit markings will go on it?
I have been pulling my hairs out to decide for the challenger

Greetings tim
Same here! I'll need a wig if the hair-yanking carries on :haha: (Luckily, the thatch is still plentiful ;) )
Some Cromwells were used with Armoured Reconnaissance units, within the Royal Armoured Corps. My Dad's Recce unit was attached to the 43rd Wessex Infantry Division; but became officially part of the Royal Armoured Corps in 1944 (along with all other divisional Recce units). I'd like to put the Wessex Wyvern symbol (seen on a Universal Carrier/Carrier at Bovington) on the tank; but it would a be a bit of a cheat. :problem:
This pic is of a plaque my late Uncle had on his wall. It shows the 'Wyvern' ( a mythical dragon-like creature), and the armoured antics of his (43rd) division. (My Dad and his brother were in the 43rd Division, and its Recce unit)
Here's a pic I took of a Universal Carrier at Bovington. I'd like to put its 'Wyvern' symbol on the Cromwell, as I simply like the look of it. :shh: :shifty: Purists will have my digital guts for garters. :lolno:
43rd Wessex Division Universal Carrier at Bovington
43rd Wessex Division Universal Carrier at Bovington
You might not know this, TIm, but 'Wessex' derives from 'West Saxon'. The English are descended from Angles and Saxons ('Sachsen' auf Deutsch) who populated this area. The notorious 'Sachsenhausen' (Saxon-houses) district may well be where some of them came from, along with Niedersachsen (Nether-Saxon, in English), in Germany.
Before getting interested in building scale armour, I was actually unaware of the association my family had with Bovington itself- the Home of the Royal Armoured Corps, and the Wessex Division. That's partly because both my Uncle and Father began their military careers in other regiments.
Another possibility for me might be the 51st Highland Division. I believe some Cromwells were attached to their Recon Regt. I'll need to check. In the end, I might just cheat and use the Wyvern anyway, and put '43' on the
mudguards. :D After that, I'd better don my digital ballistic vest... ;)
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

You do, of course, have that old stalwart (not the military truck) "It's my tank and I can do what I like"!
Also, it would be very curmudgeonly for anyone to nitpick what is a tribute to your dad. :D
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
biertje
Private

Post by biertje »

With such a family link to the unit I would just mark it up like that. And if anyone is still complaining you just say it's a centaur and it was juiced for training before departure to France.

In the end it's almost impossible to disprove that there never was a cromwell with that unit markings on it.

Greetings tim
fear naught
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:You do, of course, have that old stalwart (not the military truck) "It's my tank and I can do what I like"!
Also, it would be very curmudgeonly for anyone to nitpick what is a tribute to your dad. :D
Thanks, Tim, and thanks to you, Richard for that timely reminder. :D I can use that old get out like a magazine down the pants, when a school caning was imminent. (Yes, it happened even to models of good behaviour :haha: .)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A wee update to the Turret. It now has all the furnishings it needs, I think. I still have to fit an extinguisher and some tools; but apart from these details, as well as weathering and unit decals- the exterior is complete. Hmmm...yes, well, it still needs the hub caps fitting. Magnets and/or blu-tac should do the job. I'd almost overlooked them. :/ :D
Cromwell update-Turret-pic A
Cromwell update-Turret-pic A
Cromwell update-Turret fittings-pic B
Cromwell update-Turret fittings-pic B
Cromwell update-Turret fittings-pic C
Cromwell update-Turret fittings-pic C
Overall, I'm quite happy with the scratch built elements on the model. These include: hinges, the petrol/oil caps, bolts, bomb thrower, telepone box, smoke dischargers, tow bracket, and more.
Now that it's cold and short of light up here in the Far North, she'll have to wait until the New Year for her final outfitting. (She's a damned fussy dresser too... :/ :D )
Note, the pics are duplicated partly for dramatic effect. Mostly, though, I don't want to be in the position of restoring them all (see Wildboar 44's Tiger thread for the consequences) if Imgue decides it's time for them to vanish without warning. :think: Ditto with the Comet pics. :problem:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Roy,

You've done a FANTASTIC job! :thumbup: :thumbup: You have a beautifully detail model of a not often modeled British tank in this scale. :clap: :clap:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “Other Builds”