Taigen Early Tiger 1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Taigen Early Tiger 1

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good morning,
With molded on tools, I have had some success in using a scribing blade to "lift" the tool by undercutting the edges. Do this carefully and it can appear as if the tool is laying on the surface, deck, etc. Add a mount and plasticard strap and this completes the illusion. Good luck. You've already come a fair ways on this tank so a little more can only enhance your end result.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Soeren
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Soeren »

Then let a bit of shadowing wash/ink run underneath. Not too dark of course. Yes, that sounds like a plan. :)
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

The reason for removing the tools is I have a set of metal ones and kinda want to use them. Also I can paint and weather them before installation. Although there is one between the front plate and hatch lid with very little room to work. I am a bit nervous of starting that one so the lifting idea may very well be the best option, or I can get stuck in and repair any damage I do!
I have checked my sizes of the shrouds, I am happy with them but they have spread a bit since I formed them so I can squeeze them together a couple of mm which will solve the jack handle problem I had. I need to research to find out where the handle should actually go. So far it is just my own interpretation.

Pete
Question: "how many tanks does one person need?"
Answer: "one more than they already have"
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, If you get hold of the "Haynes Workshop Manual, TIGER TANK" and go to page 86/87 you will get a double page full colour Photograph of 131s back plate showing very clearly how the Tiger 1 early starting handle was mounted,
While I am on the subject, the Tiger 1 late had a two piece starting handle which was stored on the body of the tank between the radio aerial and the engine bay grill.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Which set of metal tools did you get? I have one of mk modellbau, that is much too bulky in the handles. Yesterday I saw a set at rctank.de that looks promising. It only has small knobs at the handles to put into the hull slots, but those should be easy to cut and sand flush.
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Hi Soeren I got my toolset from Welshdragonmodels.co.uk. Steve there is really helpful. Have a look at the picture this might help you gauge the sizes. The rctank.de ones have a fire extinguisher as well.
Pete
Attachments
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG (36.14 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Thanks, this looks exactly like rctanks offer as well. The fire extinguisher is also nice. When well painted, you will only notice the difference to the aber kit when trying to handle it. I have the mount for the extinguisher in the basic panther kit. And although it looks nice, I find it not worth the effort. As always, a good paintjob helps more to improve the appearance compared to having details invisible by monotony. But then again , this is just personal taste.
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Talking about straps and clamps etc, Have a look at shapeways.com there seems to be some really good stuff with regards to straps and clamps. Has anyone had any experience of these? I am kinda tempted to order a set of early clamps for the sake of a few quid?

Pete
Attachments
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG (27.35 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

For the handles it looks as if Vallejo do a paint described as 'wood grain' i have not tried it but might be worth a shout.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

For painting wooden handles, I use Vallejo Iraqi Sand as a base. To get the wood grain effect, I use thinned down Vallejo Smoke, the brush strokes give a grain effect. If you want more info, have a look on YouTube for videos by Dave Youngquist, who is a master of the dark art of figure painting.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Other Builds”