Taigen Early Tiger 1

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Re: Taigen Early Tiger 1

Post by SgtMalarky »

IMG_16Apr2017110112.jpg
IMG_16Apr2017110112.jpg (65.83 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Thought I would 'do a bit of damage' before priming. All deck detail removed and filled.

Now I need some advice please. Shaun, we have discussed this in the past but now I'm ready to move on, looking at the Feifel pipe clamps below, the stems are 3mm Diameter and the plates are 4.5mm x 2mm.
Questions:
Are these too big and also would the originals have been threaded studs, not plain rods as my photo, and if so what would be the correct scale size to use - M1 or M2?
I have looked at loads of photos but am a little unsure.

If I use what is already on the vehicle then the wing nuts I posted earlier look fine, but the scale would make them about 6inches wide. Not sure if this is too big and should I be using my Aber 16105 and M1 threaded rod.

Any feedback good,bad or indifferent would be received with the grace that it is given.

Thanks in advance

Pete
Attachments
IMG_16Apr2017110133.jpg
IMG_16Apr2017110133.jpg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Question: "how many tanks does one person need?"
Answer: "one more than they already have"
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Im picking that wing nuts in that application would have been no bigger than 1&1/2" (38mm) across the wings.
A wing with a 6 Inch spread is really big & not what I feel would be a normal engineering fastener .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Thanks H, you have confirmed my suspicions.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi Pete I hope this holiday is treating you and your family well,
I just measured my Clamps on two of my Tiger 1s,
The Clamp is 4mm wide and it is 2.5 cms Long, Whether or not it is correct I use M2 Wing/Butterfly Nuts because first of all when I built my clamps nothing smaller was available and I still had to tap a thread in the M2s and secondly M2s look right So boo sucks to the critics,
I am of the school of thought that says "If it looks right it is right".
I like my armour to look like it has just had its final inspection at the factory,
I appreciate the view that because it is a fighting vehicle it should be reflected in the final finish,
I am sorry but after all the work I put into my builds and bearing in mind my builds do not get photographed or shown beyond my home apart from the odd drive around the garden and hard standing in front of the Stables and Garages I am not a proud man but I like to look at something that contains my own ideas and endeavour.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Thanks Shaun having a great break you as well I trust. That is a really great approach. Yes you are right, it is my vehicle so should reflect my ideas and my interpretations.
This approach will give me the freedom to move on. I spend quite a bit of time sitting and looking at the project with a kind of reluctance to move on in case the model is not 'accurate'. I do like the idea of a battered and damaged vehicle for the simple reason I have spent more years than I can count making pristine 'showroom' models, using exactly what's in the box, so this time I have stepped outside my comfort zone.

Thanks again, Sir!

Pete
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Been off the project for a few weeks, gardening, Spring etc.
Just ordered Voyager 16001 clamps from Forgebear. I had a set from Shapeways, the puppy got into my workshop and somehow managed to get into my stuff and chewed them up! £25 up the swannie!
But kinda glad really because it mean't I have to order the Voyager ones on the Little Lady's PayPal account, well, it is her dog!!
The last operation should be adding the accessories methinks, so I have red oxide painted the upper hull ready for topcoat and chipping.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good to see your back "into it" Mr Malarky.............

On scale, any actual part size chosen to be used on our tanks , multiplied by 16 will give you the size it would be in real life.................and most things like that, we would have had experience with in our lives, so we can make that call on accuracy or scale suitability.

On "the dog"................yes-its hers- yes it ate your stuff- but no, that will very likely erase any brownie points you may have banked up to this point if you make an unsolicited tank part purchase on her card :haha: (hey, its just the way life is , as we know)

I happened to step in "her dog" poo early this morning (it sleeps inside during the winter & my little girls leave doors ajar)when stumbling for a coffee and generally not having a clue where I was, but once the poo registered on my foot and in fact triggered a 'between the toes' response to freeze on the spot & call for help, at that early hour, trust me, the brownie points that I thought I might have banked, went out the window forthwith :problem:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
SgtMalarky
Lance Corporal

Post by SgtMalarky »

Hello Herman, it is good to be back, thanks for the welcome. I think the gardening points just about cancel the out the unsolicited purchase points so I think I have come out even.
Your incident with 'her dog poo' just goes to show how tough the life of a tank builder is and credit to us for suffering in silence!!

Did the 'Tiger Day' at Bovington museum a couple of weeks ago for the first time, really great day. Wow! That must have been a scary experience seeing one of those coming out the gloom on a battle field back in the day . . .

Return to “Other Builds”