1:16 Torro WSN Trumpeter custom T34

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
siegfried
Lance Corporal

1:16 Torro WSN Trumpeter custom T34

Post by siegfried »

This is my first project, I have been working on rebuilding and modifying a mix of parts to produce a T34 1943 model with hex turret. I have been taking pics during the build and I am just getting to the painting stage. The lower hull is WSN Torro, the upper hull is Trumpeter, the turret is a resin hex turret, the electronics are hengLong TXRX18. As a first project I thought I start with something easier, using the HengLong electronics and following the example of other people on this forum to learn the basics before doing something more advanced. The metal parts and other electronic components were supplied by Forgebear. Tank has smoke unit fitted, barrel has flash which works with the K button mod, I fitted two led mg to turret and hull, fitted metal grab rails and other components, made turret and driver hutch open using magnet locking to hold open. Antenna is made to swing up and down when the turret traverses using elastic band which works well. Lots of small metal parts for added strength and suspension has been beefed up etc. Made the internal components removable on a tray for easy maintenance. Magnet locking to hold upper and lower hull on. Thanks to all the other builders whose ideas I have used and for all the help, you know who you are. I post pics later when finished and painted.
Attachments
IMG_1337.jpeg
IMG_1336.jpeg
IMG_1335.jpeg
IMG_1334 (1).jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg
IMG_1333.jpeg (59.88 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Last edited by siegfried on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c.rainford73
Major

Re: 1:16 Torro WSN Trumpeter custom T34

Post by c.rainford73 »

I must admit you did a very nice job and for a "beginners project" it is quite challenging in my opinion. You did a very nice job

Where did you source the lovely turret?

I have a WSN t34 that I have built up and currently am securing the upper trumpeter hull to my lower with screws. I have all of my Tiger tanks secured with magnets. Did you setup this with a similar mechanism?

It's amazing how little space there is in these models.

I really like how it came out

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Lovely and I like the clever solutions like the rubberband for the antenna base and the paperclip hinge for the driver's hatch.
siegfried
Lance Corporal

Post by siegfried »

Thanks guys for the comments, I enjoyed working on it and learned a lot. A big thank you goes to Michael and Del, Dave (forgebear) and many others on this forum for info, it is appreciated. The resin hex turret came with it when I bought it as a project, I rebuilt the mantlet and barrel as it was off centre and fitted the elevation unit, mg and flash inside, turret hatches are from a t34/85 and are too large, so were filed down and fitted. I hope to fit servo recoil one day and a new system as the turret is too small for the usual ready made recoil systems, not much space in this turret. Yes, fitted magnets to engine rear to hold hull upper on, fitted flange on front plate so it hooks on at front and clips down at rear with magnets.
Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

Nicely done that man. Welcome to the obsession, sorry, "hobby"
Del
Corporal

Post by Del »

Very nicely done,can't wait to see it painted. :thumbup:
I like your style as a beginner,you've jumped in full on and realy done yourself proud. :clap:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Siegfried you have done a great job. Thank you for the tip on the hull attachment system. I will try to "copy your design for my WSN t34
I agree with Del can't wait to see the paint and finish
Tanks alot.... :wave:
siegfried
Lance Corporal

Post by siegfried »

If you at the picture of the hull back you will notice a strip of meccano welded down with white plastic strips to the rear upper hull, that is the steel contact, on the lower hull are two powerful magnets, with recessed holes for screws in them I got from ebay. They are fixed to a bracket which fits flush to the outer hull when closed and having screws, the magnet wont pull off or need glue and I made them adjustable by backing them with rubber spacers so you can adjust the fit for a perfect joint by tightening the magnet holding screws etc. The front has that plastic lip fitted and another two small round magnets fitted in the hole that the old screw posts make, iron screws to upper screw posts and that gives even more magnetic contact. It all holds on super tight, quite hard to pull it open but easy for battery change and smoker top up, repair, no screw driver needed to get inside.
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Love it! Nice one siegfried, the 1942 model T-34/76 is my favourite. Looking forward to seeing it painted and weathered.

I had to use servos for recoil and elevation in mine, there just isn't enough room for the mechanical systems in the little turret. Even less in a resin turret, I'm sure!
siegfried
Lance Corporal

Post by siegfried »

Yes, it is a small turret, micro servo is the only option. I had a hard time squeezing in the HL turret elevation unit but it works fine, no space for recoil unit but an idea for later, I left the barrel easy to remove and slide back, so ready for that option later. Just need the time to paint it now and post finished pictures here.

Return to “Other Builds”