Comet A34 Scratch build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Comet A34 Scratch build

Post by AlwynTurner »

Rob I just checked the sprocket on my nashorn which is a panzer 3 and it's 52mm from tip of tooth to tip of tooth and it is very dished so maybe you could modify it if you got some plastic ones?
Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

The pzr4 sprocket is slightly smaller than the pzr3 one....48mm tip to tip....
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

This is what I was aiming for originally. No idea what I was entering into the code, it just worked how I expected it to now.
Attachments
idlermonday.png
idlermonday.png (19.6 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Filament arrived, so did a few test prints. Quality and detail are pretty good, so I am happy with that. Ordered a mountain of various allen bolts, nyloc nuts, bearings and springs to fit the various axles and suspension arms. The arms will be redesigned with coil spring mounts.

One roadwheel takes almost 7 hours to print, so that's 70 hours.... 8O ...but they are solid and will take a roller bearing.

Need a new heater element, so that's on the way too. Need to get hold of some P3 tracks somewhere, need one pair plus one side to get enough to do this one.

Interestingly, the Sherman real world tracks are 23" wide, the Comet is 18" wide.
The Mato Sherman tracks are, by my reckoning, too narrow to be a scale 23", but they do seem to be a scale 18".
So, if the T66 Sherman tracks are also under scale and would be a scale 18", then they would be a very good choice for a Comet. The Sherman sprocket, from tooth end to tooth end is Comet sized too.
Attachments
IMG_20170105_071337.jpg
IMG_20170105_071229.jpg
IMG_20170105_071203.jpg
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Looking good. I shall look forward to seeing it running on Jan 22 ;D
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Rob with 7 hour prints no wonder you need a new heater element! 8O Coming along very nicely, following along. :clap: :clap:
Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The element slid out of the heater block, I went to push it back in, and one of the wires went ping, they are only £4 so it's no big deal. Pain in the bum having to wait for a new one though.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
frankie
Staff Sergeant

Post by frankie »

The Mato track is for VVSS suspension which are 17" wide..the HVSS type track like on a Tamiya are 23" wide.. :thumbup:
remember...it's just a plastic tank... :/
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Aha! The real life spec page I was looking at didn't mention that 'small' detail. :/
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Before printing anything I decided to take another look at what I had. By redesigning the road wheels, and making them look more authentic I have got the predicted print time down from almost 7 hours to 1.5 hours, which is a bit better.

I also designed the mantlet, which was a bit of a challenge. There are a few different designs. It will have elevation, and I designed it so that I can smear milliput over it to give it the cast look.

A rough turret has been done, but I won't be printing the whole thing. I'll use this to make a supporting frame and attach styrene sheet to it. Otherwise the print time for the shell is almost 20 hours??

Attachments
whole turret.png
whole turret.png (8.3 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
turret.png
turret.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
mantlet.png
mantlet.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
roadwheel.png
roadwheel.png (17.84 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger