Comet A34 Scratch build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
wibblywobbly
Major

Re: Comet A34 Scratch build

Post by wibblywobbly »

I tend to disable lights on my tanks, even when they are fitted as standard, maybe leave one led working at the back so that I know if I have left it switched on. Once I have decided to which board to fit I can plonk one at the back somewhere.

The elevation would be very easy to fit, the pivot is all there and working, the barrel is held horizontal by a toothed post attache to the turret roof, and a shorter one on the side of the breech, I can manually adjust the barrel by just pushing it up or down. If I had an elevation it would never get used, the main place it will get run is a billiard table flat, club meet hall. The trend now is to disable elevation, or move the activation off the fire stick, as it is a pain in the posterior at times.

This was the first time that I had given it a proper workout, the mere fact that it won't detrack no matter what i do was a source of amazement, out of the entire build, this was the one thing that I couldn't predict until it was completed. It works, so I can get on with finishing the paint, installing IR sensors etc now. I am not going to fit the side track guards, even though I have them sat here. They would be quite fragile and as tanks hit scenery all the time, I would be constantly gluing them back on.

I am now designing a British 6" howitzer, with a view to getting Silversurfer to build a diorama around it. Using the Arduino set up, it will be able to have recoil, fire IR, muzzle flash, and be activated by a pressure pad, as well as take hits, so all in all a pretty good battlefield add on. Good target practice etc. :clap:

https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprin ... _howitzer/
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Wow, that's a bit of a monster. My first reaction was "That looks like a WW1 gun". Checking on Wikipedia, it did start out life then but continued into WW2. I wouldsuggest that the wheels shown in outline on the plans are more WW1 than WW2". I nicked this picture from Wikipedia which shows one with more appropriate wheels.
300px-6_inch_26_cwt_howitzer.jpg
300px-6_inch_26_cwt_howitzer.jpg (19.04 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
It looks like the ammunition was a 2 part round - separate shell and cordite bag. Info can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_6-inch_26_cwt_howitzer
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Another thought - the pressure pad will need to be hidden somehow, otherwise people will avoid it like the plague.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Well they don't avoid that cursed Panzerfaust no matter where we put it, lol. I chuckled yesterday when someone hid behind a building to avoid my shots, not realising that there was a gun the other side of him. :lolno:

I was thinking of a longer IR beam tube, so that it was only firing in a narrow arc, or even mount it so that the beam randomly shoots skywards or something, that way it wouldn't be guaranteed to hit the target.

Yes, that's the gun I am doing, with WW2 wheels. All of the WW1 ones got abandoned when we evacuated from France. We never had a single one left?

I gave up on doing a static Long Tom, the amount of printing involved is huge. I'll start another thread when I have a bit more done.
Attachments
gun.png
gun.png (18.12 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

It's off to a good start. My immediate worry is where I'm going to find a suitable gun crew. I'd settle for any sort of British soldier.

Regarding the IR emitter, I think Andy said in his Sherman, the IR emitter is behind the flash led and fire through it. If that works, could you mount the IR emitter close to the breech end of the barrel? That would give a very narrow beam, I would have thought.
Richard
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I will see if I can do it that way, in theory anything is possible.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

After searching around on the web I found a character whose head I can 3D print and looks like your typical 'tally-ho chaps' tank commander. The original was a huge bust but after fiddling around I got him shrunk down and was able to print him. Not perfect, but he will do. Just got the base coat on but he will do nicely for the Comet.
Attachments
IMG_20170413_212431.jpg
IMG_20170413_212431.jpg (70.57 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
IMG_20170413_212727.jpg
IMG_20170413_212727.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
IMG_20170413_212748.jpg
IMG_20170413_212748.jpg (53.68 KiB) Viewed 2838 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Look out, Me Wobblys getting into shrinking heads now !
He's practicing on these to get the technique right for bigger ones !! :haha:
Very good work Sir, love it
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Managed to stick his head onto a lump of milliput and use an HL arm, and then added a mug of tea for good measure. :D

@Richard... I tried printing those figures I found, they will not print well.
Attachments
DSCN1583.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Back to the drawing board for me then.
Richard

Return to “Other Builds”