Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (early production)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (early production)

Post by maxmekker »

Wery Nice build and demo video :thumbup:
Drammen Rock City
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Re: Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (production précoce)

Post by MITCH »

Hi Raminator, you have built an awesome SU152 :clap: :clap: :clap: This is one of my favorite tanks, I have discover it while I was scratching a KV1S, and I really like it!
I have a question: is the pdsgb Noisy or quiet? I think that this is the best kind of gearbox, the Tamiya are are very good, but too large for the WW2 tanks, the dklm looks very good too but in the videos that I have seen on Youtube, it seems to be Noisy… What do you think about?
maxmekker

Re: Ludwig/Taigen SU-152 (production précoce)

Post by maxmekker »

MITCH wrote:Hi Raminator, you have built an awesome SU152 :clap: :clap: :clap: This is one of my favorite tanks, I have discover it while I was scratching a KV1S, and I really like it!
I have a question: is the pdsgb Noisy or quiet? I think that this is the best kind of gearbox, the Tamiya are are very good, but too large for the WW2 tanks, the dklm looks very good too but in the videos that I have seen on Youtube, it seems to be Noisy… What do you think about?
they are quiet. and if you can hear them over the sound ( that is if you have sound in Your tank) you need a bigger speaker :D

joke aside , quick video of my JT , there is a short bit without sound also

phpBB [video]
Drammen Rock City
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Thank you for the compliments and encouragement gents, it's very humbling! Hoping to do you all proud as I move onto the fiddly stuff.

Mostly just filling and sanding in the evenings this week, getting the upper hull prepped and ready for texturing. I've also marked and predrilled all the holes for various bolts, hinges, lifting points and exhaust pipes. The back deck is going to be a pretty busy place!
  • IMAG1268.jpg
I'll use Mr Surfacer 500 to create the same rolled steel effect as on the lower hull. This will tie together all the disparate materials the vehicle is made of (ABS, aluminium, styrene, white metal) and make it all look like it's actually the same stuff.
MITCH wrote:I have a question: is the pdsgb Noisy or quiet?
The PDSGB isn't exactly silent, but it's definitely quieter than regular steel gearboxes. If you're driving outside, the tank sounds drown it out.
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

I like that the gearboxes are as discreet as possible. Thank you for your answer, I will try to print my own version, hoping that the result will be correct ...
Raminator

Post by Raminator »

Getting on with detailing the back deck. All the flat armoured panels have been textured with Mr Surfacer 500 for a cold-rolled steel effect, and I've used the same hot-knife technique on styrene strips for the torch-cut edges to the side armour. Lots of little brass bolts from Knupfer; the eight predrilled holes that remain are for the covers' lifting eyes. You guys make this scratchbuilding stuff seem a lot easier than it really is! The air intake covers and exhaust brackets are built up from styrene, just waiting on some bronze mesh to do the grilles.
  • IMAG1272.jpg
Still on the to-do list for the back deck: tankodesantniki handrails, engine ventilation louvres, engine hatch hinges and opening stand, transmission hatches and the aforementioned lifting lugs.
  • IMAG1274.jpg
Lit up at a grazing angle to highlight the different textures.
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

The texture is really nice. What I found with those brass screws though.these are in my opinion too sharp on the head. Using a nice fine sanding sponge breaks the corners and looks much more to scale.

The exhaust outlets look fantastic. Did you make these yourself from brass sheet?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

That's a truly enviable touch you have there, Dan, with the Mr Surfacer :clap: Simulating casting surface marks, and pitting, is one of the hardest things a scale modeler can do, I think, especially when it's essential to retain the scale of the flaws for the sake of that 'authentic' look. Here, you've provided an example of how it should look. :thumbup:
On commercial RTR models, I always thought that the Taigen T-34 (metal edn.,) had the best pitting effects (Turret), until the JS2 lurched onto the scene. Kept in scale, subtle casting and production (forging etc.,) marks can be really gaze-grabbing.
Roy
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Incredible I salute you! Do tell the secret behind those brass exhausts
Tanks alot.... :wave:
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

c.rainford73 wrote:Incredible I salute you! Do tell the secret behind those brass exhausts
Saved me typing the exact same comment!!
Cheers Image
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Other Builds”